The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLF wrote: View Post
    Yoooo he is looking really good! His form is great! He seems very mobile and athletic and we all know how well he blocks and alters shots. He will not be there at 59. If he is these GM's are crazy.
    You have to remember that Jordan is 24 years old already. That surely is affecting his stock. You can't really talk about "potential", even compared to some other guys who played a full college career who might be 21 or 22.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      You have to remember that Jordan is 24 years old already. That surely is affecting his stock. You can't really talk about "potential", even compared to some other guys who played a full college career who might be 21 or 22.
      Age doesn't really matter in the draft that late. Production does and Bachynski is a mobile, defensive, strong, smart C. Should make a good backup C for a lengthy career.

I compare Bachynski to Splitter.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
        Age doesn't really matter in the draft that late. Production does and Bachynski is a mobile, defensive, strong, smart C. Should make a good backup C for a lengthy career.

I didn't realize Bachynski is as mobile as he is.

“The shot-blocking numbers are eye-opening and eye-popping as it is,” ASU associate head coach Eric Musselman said, “but when you add in the fact the things that don’t show up on the stat line that he affects because of his size and his presence … you can’t even put a number on it.”
        In Bachynski’s case, size helps, but it’s not the overwhelming factor.

“Listen, there are a lot of 7-foot guys with long arms who aren’t good shot blockers,” MacLean said.

What separates Bachynski is his ability to cover ground. When the ball moves, he reacts.

“He can be defending the post and the ball gets swung from the post to the wing to a dribble drive, and he’s got the ability to open up and pivot and get over there and change a shot or block it,” Musselman said. “He’s just got unique quickness with his feet for someone his size.”

After Oregon State, ASU hosts Oregon on Saturday. Last season, the Sun Devils played the Oregon schools just once, on the road. Bachynski blocked seven shots in the two games. A repeat performance would give him the record.

“It’s hard, especially for guys like us who like to score in the paint,’’ Oregon State coach Craig Robinson said. “There’s not much you can do because he’s long, he’s athletic and he can cover ground. It’s going to be really tough. In the past we haven’t had a whole lot of success scoring in the paint against him.”
        http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/...ut-blocks.html

Musselman is a former NBA head coach.

The bold is interesting. He needed 7 blocks to get the record and goes out over the next 3 games getting 7, 9, and 8 versus Oregon, Oregon State, and, at the time, #2 Arizona.

I'd be thrilled to come out of the draft with Bachynski at 59.... I'd even consider him at 37.

Comment

• Personally I think getting Bachynski at 37 would be a bad move. This draft is deep. I'd be pissed if we grabbed him so high. If they really like him and worry that he might be taken before 59, MU should be able to acquire another 2nd rounder. They shouldn't be as expensive as first rounders.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

I'm no scout but Jordan looks good
            Heh, did anyone else catch that Sim Bhullar was on the receiving end of a lot of the dunks in these highlights?

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
              Fun video on Canadians in the the NBA and how the average Canuck has very little interest in or knowledge of basketball:

"Sons of Naismith"

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=111...goryid=2378529
              Andrew Wiggins aka "Maple Jordan."

Comment

Age matters more until about midway through the 2nd round. And then it still matters a bit, as it's nice to have the draft rights to a young asset.

Where we're picking (59) it really shouldn't matter, but I was just saying it is not at all surprising Bachynski is slated to go so late or not at all. Teams would generally much rather have the draft rights to a young guy who could be something fairly special (even in a role player sense).

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Age matters more until about midway through the 2nd round. And then it still matters a bit, as it's nice to have the draft rights to a young asset.

Where we're picking (59) it really shouldn't matter, but I was just saying it is not at all surprising Bachynski is slated to go so late or not at all. Teams would generally much rather have the draft rights to a young guy who could be something fairly special (even in a role player sense).
                  Depends on your philosophy I guess.

If you are looking for high potential young guys with your early seconds the yes, Bachynski doesn't make sense at 37.

However I am tired of never having any second round picks ever panning out and would rather get a role player, because at the end of the day even if he isn't anything more than a low-upside role player, he still has more value than a bench warmer or d-league guy.

Comment

• Oh, just going back and reading the news about Austin. That's really unfortunate for him. Given what he's gone through, it must be really serious for him to call it a career. However... maybe it's fortunate that he declared this year, and got diagnosed during medical tests. It would have been a real tragedy if he stayed in college, gone undiagnosed, and suffered some serious damage as a result.

Comment

• Age generally matters less in the 45-60 area of the draft because many of those teams are trying to be good and like readymade players they can add through the draft.

Looking at draft order late in the 2nd....

I see #42, Houston, as a pretty likely ceiling. Especially if they are trying to unload Asik, they could use a backup C and could see Bachynski as a legit option. I could see them also going with athletic Patric Young who could fit better in their uptempo game.

He could go anywhere from 42-60....and probably only to likely playoff teams. Can't see Milwaukee, with an already deep frontcourt, drafting him...or Philly, who has picks in that area, being highly interested in him, though I see them as a very likely trade option as they have 5 picks in the 2nd round (32, 39, 47, 52, 54), possibly for Toronto to move up and snare Bachynski.

Comment

Depends on your philosophy I guess.

If you are looking for high potential young guys with your early seconds the yes, Bachynski doesn't make sense at 37.

However I am tired of never having any second round picks ever panning out and would rather get a role player, because at the end of the day even if he isn't anything more than a low-upside role player, he still has more value than a bench warmer or d-league guy.
                        The thing is in many drafts, picks in the early 2nd may not be viewed as having a large gap with late 1st rounders, and thus generally since teams in that range are often also bad teams, they view "potential" as still being very important. So yeah, picks like that don't usually make sense until you start getting into playoff teams' 2nd rounders.

Comment

• @kenberger Correction from yesterday: Knicks only have $1.8M to offer for a pick after giving Toronto $1.4M in Bargnani trade. cbsprt.co/1m8vmR7

Remember all talk of Knicks buying a first round pick? LoooooooooooL

Masai got 3 picks and $1.4m for Bargnani

Comment

• I never thought about it all too much until now, but the Raptors just might have the chance to draft 2 Canadians.

Oh Canada
                            I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                            -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

• YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
                              I never thought about it all too much until now, but the Raptors just might have the chance to draft 2 Canadians.

Oh Canada
                              It's entirely possible they draft 3.

20: Ennis
                              37: Ejim
                              59: Bachynski

Comment

• i love bachynski, and have been talking about him for a long time, but he's not good enough to take at 37.

you guys are blowing his game way up right now.

he's not an athlete, he's quite slow actually. he's 7'2 and in the ncaa there's no defensive paint violation so he could sit in there and block shots all day. he's probably going to get killed in the pick and roll game in the nba.

odds are he becomes aaron gray, with a small chance he's slightly better.

the odds are not in his favour to become a solid nba rotation player, but it is a possibility.
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X