Page 330 of 337 FirstFirst ... 230 280 320 328 329 330 331 332 ... LastLast
Results 6,581 to 6,600 of 6734

Thread: The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I trust Masai.

It's a 20th pick, I don't care of it's a loaded draft or not, by then, the pics are crapshoots. You can get lucky, you can not get lucky.

It's a swing for the fences, but I for one am very excited to see what he can bring on Summer League and also next season.

Keep in mine, 18 years old, at 6'9. He could very well be near 7-feet when done growing, with being able to move and shoot fluidly, that's something you can't teach.

He's got the physical tools, everything else can be taught. He's young, he's raw, but he's a clean sheet. He can be taught, and he can be trained, I'm happy with that.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I like the idea, just not the execution. Masai said he basically had two guys he liked and missed out on one (Ennis) so he didn't want to lose Bruno by 37.

It just feels like a haphazard pick with not much in the way of planning or contingencies. Sort of like this whole year, especially if Lowry walks.

I hope Bruno is amazing, though; now that he's a Raptor he has my full support. Just wish we could have found a way to take him later and max out the value of that first pick.
    ^Raps plan was to take Caboclo with the 22nd pick (Mem deal), so why do you think taking him at 20 is a haphazard panic move by Ujiri??

His only options at that point would be to
    1) take Caboclo with #20

or

2) work out a trade with PHX for Ennis including the #20 and try and get Caboclo with the #22. I assume this was tried and when PHX turned him down and there was only a minute on the clock, he had to revert to option 1.

I wonder what we offered for Ennis...

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's Masai.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Daniels won't make the team. I'm glad that it seems like that Bruno will be the only rookie next year. This team is young enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Looks like Daniels won't make the team. I'm glad that it seems like that Bruno will be the only rookie next year. This team is young enough.

I didn't watch the interview and am about to pass out...did Masai say that? If not, what makes you say that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I didn't watch the interview and am about to pass out...did Masai say that? If not, what makes you say that?
    Yeah, Masai said that they wanted Daniels to go to Europe or the D-League. Makes sense, there are no minutes for him in Toronto unless Fields' contract is stretched, and he needs some development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Masai says he has a chance but, we probably end up in D league or overseas

http://youtu.be/GIUrhVzC-AU

@Chr1st1anL

8. Like white men can't jump liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand some of the sarcastic tweets/comments about Bruno. It's not like they took him 5th overall or 10th overall. Raps took him 20th overall. If you're drafting in that range, usually you'll get a bench/role player. Masai rolled the dice and draft a player that no one has ever heard of, a player that he scouted, a player that he thinks has STAR potential. Obviously everyone was surprised(including me) when Silver announced the name Bruno Caboclo because no one has heard of his name before its normal.

Let's say Bruno is not as good as Masai or Casey thinks. What's the worst case scenario? a bench player? WHAT IF he becomes this star player that Masai thinks?? win-win situation if you ask me.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    I don't understand some of the sarcastic tweets/comments about Bruno. It's not like they took him 5th overall or 10th overall. Raps took him 20th overall. If you're drafting in that range, usually you'll get a bench/role player. Masai rolled the dice and draft a player that no one has ever heard of, a player that he scouted, a player that he thinks has STAR potential. Obviously everyone was surprised(including me) when Silver announced the name Bruno Caboclo because no one has heard of his name before its normal.

Let's say Bruno is not as good as Masai or Casey thinks. What's the worst case scenario? a bench player? WHAT IF he becomes this star player that Masai thinks?? win-win situation if you ask me.
    Bench player if you're lucky with a pick at 20. The thing that excited me about Capela was that he has all this potential and would be available at 20. It is extremely rare that players with upside make it out of the lottery. What makes Bruno such an awesome pick is that no one saw it coming, he drafted a player deep into the 1st round with as much potential as anyone in the lottery. No matter the outcome, that is a steal.

The guy for ESPN would have seen him last when? At BWB last summer? When everyone else saw him? It sounds like he is developing at a rapid pace and the team that kept track of his progress with the most intel were the Raptors.

And all that background noise? What, the same fans that freaked out at drafting Ross? Who got upset at the trade for Lowry? Who thought Bargs would be someone? Or the pseudo sports-journalists who consistently hate on the Raps? What I saw on ESPN was a dumb founded bunch, who didn't want to say anything because they knew that Masai is smarter than all of them. The most they could do was wonder why Masai didn't trade down.

As a fan I can live with that. I wanted a player with potential, and they drafted a player with potential. That's enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like

If San Antonio had picked him at 20 everyone in the media would be going on about how great they are at scouting (which they are). Since its Toronto, everyone shits on it. Oh well.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I woke up this more and had a bad dream last night we drafted some dude name Bruno?

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Bench player if you're lucky with a pick at 20. The thing that excited me about Capela was that he has all this potential and would be available at 20. It is extremely rare that players with upside make it out of the lottery. What makes Bruno such an awesome pick is that no one saw it coming, he drafted a player deep into the 1st round with as much potential as anyone in the lottery. No matter the outcome, that is a steal.

The guy for ESPN would have seen him last when? At BWB last summer? When everyone else saw him? It sounds like he is developing at a rapid pace and the team that kept track of his progress with the most intel were the Raptors.

And all that background noise? What, the same fans that freaked out at drafting Ross? Who got upset at the trade for Lowry? Who thought Bargs would be someone? Or the pseudo sports-journalists who consistently hate on the Raps? What I saw on ESPN was a dumb founded bunch, who didn't want to say anything because they knew that Masai is smarter than all of them. The most they could do was wonder why Masai didn't trade down.

As a fan I can live with that. I wanted a player with potential, and they drafted a player with potential. That's enough for me.
    There wast good value for the pick. And if he doesn't even become a rotation player and the players drafted after him do, MU is in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    There wast good value for the pick. And if he doesn't even become a rotation player and the players drafted after him do, MU is in trouble.

GMs and Head Coaches are hired to be fired. If they're not taking risks, they shouldn't be in the industry.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I think people are forgetting that MU's first two choices were Ennis and Harris. Either availability would have triggered the pending deal for the 22nd pick with Memphis. When both were gone (18th & 19th) MU decided not to lose the third choice. I applaud him for having the stones and his convictions about his personal scouting abilities to choose Bruno C. regardless of how he turns out. The Greek freak who has similar body measurements at draft time played Div.2 bb in the Greek league. Does anyone know the level of play there? GA has now grown to be 6'11"...something BC may well do. We need to trust MU's instincts on this...it's his first shot at the draft here and has a pretty good record at other spots. Both he and Weltman loved GA and must have seen similarities in Bruno.

16. Like enlightenment, ceez, mcHAPPY, Puffer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Very happy. Everyone at 20 had red flags of one sort or another. This guy has star potential, even if it is a long shot. And he's the youngest guy in the draft.

18. Like Raptor Jesus liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thrilled with the pick. One because he's Brazilian, two because he has tremendous upside.

And people basing their opinions based on what Fran franschilla said, he's not "the only guy" who knows him. Masai obviously does and he believes he can come over sooner than that.

I think a lot of people were shocked, then pissed cause we weren't going to get to see him for so long. "No instant gratification? Wahhhhh!"

He'll be fine. He has a great coaching staff to work with and hopefully the Raps hire me to be his translator 👍 A lot of us, myself included, wanted Capela for his upside. And this kid has even more upside.

I'm surprised though that we picked Daniels with Grant still on the board.
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    I'm thrilled with the pick. One because he's Brazilian, two because he has tremendous upside.

And people basing their opinions based on what Fran franschilla said, he's not "the only guy" who knows him. Masai obviously does and he believes he can come over sooner than that.

I think a lot of people were shocked, then pissed cause we weren't going to get to see him for so long. "No instant gratification? Wahhhhh!"

He'll be fine. He has a great coaching staff to work with and hopefully the Raps hire me to be his translator �� A lot of us, myself included, wanted Capela for his upside. And this kid has even more upside.

I'm surprised though that we picked Daniels with Grant still on the board.

Will be interesting to see how Lowry plays out.

Maybe Capela ends up in Toronto yet?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

The fact Masai has pretty much put his great reputation(job too maybe) for this kid makes me feel better.

@Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering why we would want to stash Daniels, he appeared to me as a "NBA ready" type of 2nd rounder and I'd rather see him than Fields tbh.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
    I'm wondering why we would want to stash Daniels, he appeared to me as a "NBA ready" type of 2nd rounder and I'd rather see him than Fields tbh.
    He'll get more game action in Europe or D-League is my guess.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Page 330 of 337 FirstFirst ... 230 280 320 328 329 330 331 332 ... LastLast

Thread Information