Page 334 of 337 FirstFirst ... 234 284 324 332 333 334 335 336 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,680 of 6734

Thread: The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Just Is wrote: View Post
    Thats not an accurate comparison. San Antonio EARNED that respect (they've proven to have the best scouts in the NBA). Toronto hasn't.
    That's fair.

Regardless, rumors coming out today put him on a few teams radar in the 20+ range, so I don't think it's as big a reach as people originally thought.

In any case, I'd rather trust the guy who went from scouting to a GM job than the guy who went from scouting to being ESPN's international correspondant (because honestly, ESPN is 100% clueless over any prospect outside the NCAA).

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We scrapped the 2014 draft for this guy I don't want him to be a bust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why Masai Ujiri really drafted Bruno Caboclo (theory)

I did some research on Masai Ujiri and i found out he is a huge promoter for a program called basketball without borders. He is actually the director of the NBA's Basketball Without Borders program and i think he wanted to give the program a little shine. I cannot count how many times he stated that he found this kid at the basketball without borders camp/tournament and how he was the MVP of a tourney. This is not the first time he did as he was a strong influence in getting fellow African Solomon alabi to the raptors who didn't pan out. Obviously the kid from Brazil has potential i mean he's 18 with a 7"7 wingspan and some skills. Masai will do everything to make sure this kid develops into a star therefore putting basketball without borders on the map. I don't really mind what Masai did as long as this kid does come thru. i doubt he will ever be a Kevin Durant but I do see and hope he can be a Brazilian Nicholas Batum. Masai took a big risk taking this kid but i do trust him i mean he is the guy who drafted faried with the 20th pick. All i can say is this is gonna be one of the most interesting summer leagues to ever watch as a raptors fan lol cant wait

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Already been talked about

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also .. people should realize that we drafted him with the 20th pick, not 1st

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

6. Like enlightenment liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you guys give our 2016 first rounder for Ennis, and maybe a second rounder too?

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Would you guys give our 2016 first rounder for Ennis, and maybe a second rounder too?

I like Ennis a lot and I'd still have a hard time paying that price....but maybe.

The question is, what did PHX want? PHX is saying they want Ennis, but I fully believe it was a power move to pick him and hope they could fleece us of some future assets. I'm sure they're fine having him, but I don't know, I find it hard to believe he was the top guy on their board. Random speculation: like they probably wanted our 2015 1st, the NY/DEN 2016 1st and maybe a 2nd rounder or cash...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I like Ennis a lot and I'd still have a hard time paying that price....but maybe.

The question is, what did PHX want? PHX is saying they want Ennis, but I fully believe it was a power move to pick him and hope they could fleece us of some future assets. I'm sure they're fine having him, but I don't know, I find it hard to believe he was the top guy on their board. Random speculation: like they probably wanted our 2015 1st, the NY/DEN 2016 1st and maybe a 2nd rounder or cash...
    Yeah, their GM is a dealer and it was so obvious we wanted Ennis. Maybe they wanted Ross? That's my guess. But I would be okay with giving our 2016 1st rounder, since we already have New York's 1st rounder then, and ours might be in the 20s since I expect us to improve.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. He was drafted 20th. By then, everything's a crapshoot. You can pick a bust, or a gem, there's no guarantees, or any easy picks at all.

That being said, if Bruno can turn into a Nicholas Batum, I'm very happy with that for a 20th Pick. Batum is a skilled player in all aspects of the game.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree, but it doesn't change how shocking it was. Felt like waking up in an alternate dimension....with your pants off in a ditch....
    That's how you wake up in other dimensions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    That's how you wake up in other dimensions.
    I'm confused...Watching the Raps pick Bruno Caboclo is how end up waking up in other dimensions? Or you can only wake up in other dimensions in a ditch with no pants?

I just want to be clear, because that youtube clip of our selection could be astonishingly powerful

Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This kinda reminds me of the Damon Stoudamire draft lottery,where everyone wanted Ed O'Bannon,but raptors pick Damon. This year everyone wanted Ennis,well he got picked up by suns,before the raptors could pick him,maybe this could be a blessing for raptors organization.What if raptors picked up Ennis and Bruno get's drafted by Spurs and becomes another star that spurs drafted late. Anyway I just think the ceiling is higher with Bruno,we know what Ennis will be a back up point guard at best. Everyone is gotta remember this kid is the youngest player 2 get drafter in this lottery year,his only 18 years of age. I don't know about u guys,but when u have San Antonio,Oklahoma City and Suns looking 2 pick him up late first rd,then u gotta think he might be worth first rd pick.
    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    This kinda reminds me of the Damon Stoudamire draft lottery,where everyone wanted Ed O'Bannon,but raptors pick Damon.
    This year everyone wanted Ennis,well he got pick by suns,but this could be a blessing for raptors organization.What if raptors picked up Ennis and Bruno get's drafted by Spurs and becomes another star that spurs drafted late. Anyway I just think the ceiling is higher with Bruno,we know what Ennis will be a back up point guard at best. Everyone is gotta remember this kid is the youngest player 2 get drafter in this lottery year,his only 18 years of age. I don't know about u guys,but when u have San Antonio,Oklahoma City and Suns looking 2 pick him up late first rd,then u gotta think he might be worth first rd pick.
    There's no way to know for sure, but if Ennis fell, the Raps very likely would've also gotten Caboclo, and thus the best of both worlds. The rumoured deal with Memphis was apparently real, but taken off the table when PHX took Ennis and Toronto couldn't get him before having to make their selection.

I also don't know why everyone assumes Ennis is a backup PG. That's his floor to me, not his ceiling. And it may be his most likely case. However everyone is acting like just because he isn't a spectacular athlete he would never manage starting as a PG. Well he's incredibly poised, clutch, a great passer and doesn't turn the ball over a lot.

Lots of great PGs have lacked tremendous physical tools. Steve Nash (15th pick) and John Stockton (16th pick)...Billups won a ring and Finals MVP. Jose is still a capable starter with worse tools than any of them. I'm sure there are a bunch more, just like there are surely examples of guys without great tools never being special. I do think though that with Ennis' mental makeup and basketball skills he has a legit shot, even if it's a slim one, to be one of the better PGs in the league, say top 10.

**I feel like people forget that his own college coach said Ennis was never supposed to even be their starter this year.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Jun 28th, 2014 at 12:18 AM.

15. Like OldSkoolCool, Just Is, YoungGunRaptor liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no way to know for sure, but if Ennis fell, the Raps very likely would've also gotten Caboclo, and thus the best of both worlds. The rumoured deal with Memphis was apparently real, but taken off the table when PHX took Ennis and Toronto couldn't get him before having to make their selection.

I also don't know why everyone assumes Ennis is a backup PG. That's his floor to me, not his ceiling. And it may be his most likely case. However everyone is acting like just because he isn't a spectacular athlete he would never manage starting as a PG. Well he's incredibly poised, clutch, a great passer and doesn't turn the ball over a lot.

Lots of great PGs have lacked tremendous physical tools. Steve Nash (15th pick) and John Stockton (16th pick)...Billups won a ring and Finals MVP. Jose is still a capable starter with worse tools than any of them. I'm sure there are a bunch more, just like there are surely examples of guys without great tools never being special. I do think though that with Ennis' mental makeup and basketball skills he has a legit shot, even if it's a slim one, to be one of the better PGs in the league, say top 10.

Agreed.

If Masaii is still trying to bring him in, then why not send a big and a pick to Phoenix? They lack depth at the PF position, and they lack intensity and toughness in the paint.

We can send them Hansbrough and a future 1st rounder to them for Ennis.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."
    Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic Starter TrossTheBOSS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else surprised we didn't draft a backup centre? We took 2 small forwards. I'm guessing free agency is where Masai is gonna look

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TrossTheBOSS wrote: View Post
    Anyone else surprised we didn't draft a backup centre? We took 2 small forwards. I'm guessing free agency is where Masai is gonna look
    Not at all surprised. We talk about how guys like Bachynski or P. Young could be ready to contribute, but nobody really is as a rookie, especially in terms of being able to anchor a D. Yes, they'd only be backups, so it could be worth the risk given the limited minutes they get, but in a basketball sense, the ideal option would be in free agency or a trade. I'm still hoping Okafor is healthy enough to be an option, but because of his injured year will be gettable on the cheap.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty happy with our draft, however I would've been ecstatic if Ennis fell to 20th.

20th = Bruno Caboclo
    37th = DeAndre Daniels
    59th = Turned into cash considerations.

The Bruno selection had me incredibly quizzical. Until I realized his terrific athleticism, and physical tools. The damn guy is 18 years old, turning 19 soon - a year older than me - and he's 6'9 (likely to grow), and has a 7'6-7'7 wingspan. Incredible. We heard all throughout the draft that Masai really wanted Antetokounmpo last year, and might have gotten Greek Freak 2.0 with this selection. The only thing I'm skeptical about, is that - like what Grindhouse mentioned - we scrapped the entire draft for a guy that likely was a second round pick, a guy that few teams knew about or interested in, or maybe not even drafted.

Thanks to Draft Express, you can tell the guy works hard, has serious upside, but, he's VERY raw.

That being said, DeAndre Daniels counters that rawness, as he's possibly one of the more NBA ready prospects available in the second round at that time, in my opinion. He too has some solid physical tools, about 6'9 and a 7'2 wingspan if I'm not mistaken. He's got as solid bounce to his step, can shoot the ball, and plays D. He plays a lot like Rudy Gay, but not in the inefficient, take tons of shots, and hog the ball type of way. Just the style of play - mid-ranged jumpers, attack the rim with long arms, can defend and bail himself out thanks to athleticism and length, and is explosive.

The Daniels pick was my favourite, because he was second to Glenn Robinson III for the 37th pick on my list, Jarnell Stokes as a third, Russ Smith as a fourth.

* = UFA/RFA/Non-guaranteed (mistake my asterisks if im mistaken anywhere with their current contract situations)

PG: *Lowry*/*Vasquez*/*De Colo*
    SG: DeRozan/or Ross/Daniels
    SF: Ross/Caboclo/Daniels/Fields
    PF: *Johnson*/*Patterson*
    C: Valanciunas/Hayes

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually bugging me now that we didn't take Anderson if we still expected Caboclo to be available at 22 to make the Memphis deal (or even vice-versa, taking Bruno at 20 and Kyle at 22).

I would much rather have Anderson + Caboclo than Daniels + Caboclo....
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Jun 28th, 2014 at 04:16 AM.

21. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

up to the draft masai talked about needing a big 3 and some shot blocking. seems he got it in one player and we were all thinking it was clint and mcdaniels or clint and anderson etc.

i don't like or not like the pick. unlike some i am waiting until i see the player at least in summer league. i do trust in masai and one move i don't understand is not going to change that. and like i said earlier if he does become a player like they hope it is amazing he was kept under wraps so well. there has to be 100s of millions of dollars invested in scouring the earth for random freaks of nature.
    Last edited by Miekenstien; Sat Jun 28th, 2014 at 06:35 AM.
    For The Win

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, NBA TV seems to have a balanced opinion on the pick:

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...w-raptors.nba/

Page 334 of 337 FirstFirst ... 234 284 324 332 333 334 335 336 ... LastLast

Thread Information