No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GM in Cleveland so all bets are off on how they will draft.. however there is a lot of pressure to make the playoffs and when that's there you think short term not long term. Parker is more NBA ready than Wiggins. Parker played for Duke so did Irving. I think they were destined to get him (even though it will be a bad decision in the long term).

I think the top 7 goes like this:

Cleveland - Parker
    Milwaukee - Wiggins
    Philly - Vonleh
    Orlando - Exum (his Foot Locker/Adidas ads by the way are hilarious)
    Utah - Randle
    Boston - Embiid
    LA - Smart

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
      If you're the Cavs its not really that hard of a decision on who they should take #1. I mean, Parker today in his interview pretty much say he wants to play for the Bucks. So if you're the Cavs its down to one player and that's Wiggins. And Wiggins is the most talented player in this draft. He's got the most upside. I don't know what's so hard about this decision.
      The hardest part may be wiggins' camp may have told Cavs they don't want to come there!

Raps

Comment

• Still hoping that LaVine would somehow fall to the Raps at 20.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
          If you're the Cavs its not really that hard of a decision on who they should take #1. I mean, Parker today in his interview pretty much say he wants to play for the Bucks. So if you're the Cavs its down to one player and that's Wiggins. And Wiggins is the most talented player in this draft. He's got the most upside. I don't know what's so hard about this decision.
          My money is on Cavs trying to be too smart again, trading down with someone like the Jazz then grabbing Embiid hoping he'll be Hakeem 2.0 and not Oden 2.0. And since it's the Cavs it'll all backfire on them.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
            The hardest part may be wiggins' camp may have told Cavs they don't want to come there!
            The rumor sheets last week were saying that Wiggins was perfectly open to playing in Cleveland (apparently Wiggins really wants to be the #1 pick). I don't think that's the issue.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
              The rumor sheets last week were saying that Wiggins was perfectly open to playing in Cleveland (apparently Wiggins really wants to be the #1 pick). I don't think that's the issue.
              Ahh o well.. hopefully he forces his way to Orlando.. for some reason i wanna see him play there if not here.

Comment

• Cavs having the opportunity to take Wiggins and trading down would be the most Cavs thing ever
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                  Cavs having the opportunity to take Wiggins and trading down would be the most Cavs thing ever
                  Agreed. They desperately need a SF. Wiggins is going to be a superstar SF. There is a reason Orlando is willing to give up #4, #12, and Afflalo to move up to take Wiggins. I'd be terrified of taking Embiid. When has a big man ever panned out who came into the draft with heaps of injury concerns (foot, back, etc...)?

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                    I can see it already ..

With the 20th pick in the 2014 NBA draft in their 20th season .. the Toronto Raptors select, Toronto's own Tyler Ennis from Syracuse

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

He is hoping too.

Comment

• So we finally have the www.boxscoregeeks.com ranking for the draft.

According to them, our board should be, for the #20 pick:
                      1. Clint Capela (all-star potential - possible but unlikely to fall this low)
                      2. Walter Tavares
                      3. Jordan Adams

They rank Elfrid Payton, Shabazz Napier and Tyler Ennis as decent picks, but not as good as the three above ... and unfortunately all three will be off the board when we pick again.

For the #37 pick we can get a solid NBA player:
                      1. Jarnell Stokes (a slam dunk if he is still around - touch and go to fall this far)
                      2. Khem Birch
                      Khem is forecast to go in the 50s, so we probably don't need anyone else on this list.

For the #59 pick: a list of people unlikely to be drafted who they suggest we look at, and who could equal our #37 pick:
                      1. DJ Cunningham
                      2. Kendrick Perry
                      3. DJ Covington
                      4. Ryan Watkins
                      5. Melsahn Basabe
                      6. Dantrell Thomas

Comment

• Kuh wrote: View Post
                        So we finally have the www.boxscoregeeks.com ranking for the draft.

According to them, our board should be, for the #20 pick:
                        1. Clint Capela (all-star potential - possible but unlikely to fall this low)
                        2. Walter Tavares
                        3. Jordan Adams

They rank Elfrid Payton, Shabazz Napier and Tyler Ennis as decent picks, but not as good as the three above ... and unfortunately all three will be off the board when we pick again.

For the #37 pick we can get a solid NBA player:
                        1. Jarnell Stokes (a slam dunk if he is still around - touch and go to fall this far)
                        2. Khem Birch
                        Khem is forecast to go in the 50s, so we probably don't need anyone else on this list.

For the #59 pick: a list of people unlikely to be drafted who they suggest we look at, and who could equal our #37 pick:
                        1. DJ Cunningham
                        2. Kendrick Perry
                        3. DJ Covington
                        4. Ryan Watkins
                        5. Melsahn Basabe
                        6. Dantrell Thomas
                        I'd like to see how these types of statistics driven analysis project prospects historically, and whether they're at all successful

I don't buy that it's all that useful, because:

#1: the players are put in a completely different situation that they were in college, so how much do these numbers really mean

#2: we aren't trying to figure out who will be the most useful next year, but rather, how a player will develop several years from now

Even if they do seem to match up with past success, I'd question whether it's a situation of trying to make a model match stats without much thought to causation.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• The Boxscoregeeks model doesn't really work. Go look at their previous draft models and see how players have panned out - they're nowhere near close to what happened and aren't appreciably better (and may be worse) than simple draft order.

Comment

• Did Jose Calderon really just get traded for Tyson chandler?

Comment

• The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                              Did Jose Calderon really just get traded for Tyson chandler?
                              Yup lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• So the Cavs according to several reports are now "seriously" considering taking Exum 1st overall
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X