The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    I'm not convinced that LaVine is un-attainable if he declares. LaVine is the 4th best PG prospect behind Exum, Smart and Ennis. How many PG needy teams are there? Exum and Smart will get drafted because they are elite prospects, but Ennis and LaVine could slip as teams balance team need. BPA is all well and good, but really there are likely 15-20 guys all in the similar range, and in that case, you draft BPA at position of weakness. I wouldn't be shocked to see either be available to the Raps if they get in the 17-20 range.
    I hope you are right, but there are quite a few teams that are in the lottery that need PG's as well and some of those teams have multiple picks. Milwaukee, Orlando x2, and LAL all could use an upgrade. Chicago has two picks and might want a backup for Rose. Boston might want one to replace Rondo.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      exactly, if a team doesn't want to trade a first round pick for lowry why would they draft a second tier pg in the top half of the draft?
      It's a bit different because Lowry is an expiring contract where as a draft pick is yours for at least 4 years. Hard to give up an asset like that for a rental.

Comment

• Here is my list of teams that could use a first round pick on a PG and have a first round pick (sucker Nets and Knicks!)

Top 5 drafters
        Bucks - BPA
        Magic - BPA
        Lakers - desperate for talent, will be picking BPA

Pistons - likely if the right player at the right spot, but they wouldn't want to over-reach and will go BPA
        Nuggets - they have lots of issues and I think they'll go for a big, but it could happen
        Twolves - they have other issues (SF) but they could decide to go PG
        Raptors
        Grizzlies - wouldn't be shocked to see them acquire a new back-up now that they traded Bayless
        Mavs - BPA although they have Shane Larkin from last year
        Miami - PG/C are constantly needing attention
        Indiana - eventually will upgrade on George Hill if they can through the draft/development
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
          exactly, if a team doesn't want to trade a first round pick for lowry why would they draft a second tier pg in the top half of the draft?
          Because Lowry is a rental, because Lowry on a re-sign will cost more than $8m as opposed to $2m for a rookie, because a team might be on the downslope and want to partially rebuild while still playing competitively - lots of reasons.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            I hope you are right, but there are quite a few teams that are in the lottery that need PG's as well and some of those teams have multiple picks. Milwaukee, Orlando x2, and LAL all could use an upgrade. Chicago has two picks and might want a backup for Rose. Boston might want one to replace Rondo.
            Boston would only draft Exum or Smart at the PG position. They have too many holes in their roster to double up on PG's unless it is ELITE talent. Don't think Ennis or LaVine are in that stratosphere. Now if Boston moves Rondo (I don't think it's going to happen), then everything changes.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              It's a bit different because Lowry is an expiring contract where as a draft pick is yours for at least 4 years. Hard to give up an asset like that for a rental.
              It's a good point, but people need to realize that Lowry is a proven talent, whereas no one in the draft is. Yes you do have to wonder about being able to resign him but its just as much a gamble as drafting someone who's going to help you team, much less an all star talent.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Giannis Antetokuompo's little brother is said to be entering the draft this year.

Comment

• Yeah i'd definitely use our Kings second rounder on mini Po
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• anyone heard of this Nik Stauskus kid? Heard he is pretty good!
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                      Giannis Antetokuompo's little brother is said to be entering the draft this year.
                      Man, I'd throw a flyer at that. Apparently Giannis is supposed to keep growing, so maybe his brother will too.
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                        Giannis Antetokuompo's little brother is said to be entering the draft this year.
                        It is actually Giannis' older brother.

Giannis: 12/16/94, 19 Years old
                        Thanasis: 7/17/92, 21 Years old

I would still be open to taking a second round flyer on him, but a raw 21 year old athlete, is very different from a raw 18 (at time of draft) year old.
                        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                          It is actually Giannis' older brother.

Giannis: 12/16/94, 19 Years old
                          Thanasis: 7/17/92, 21 Years old

I would still be open to taking a second round flyer on him, but a raw 21 year old athlete, is very different from a raw 18 (at time of draft) year old.
                          Ah, yes, that is discouraging.
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• You got to think the Bucks will grab him in the 2nd round.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              You got to think the Bucks will grab him in the 2nd round.
                              Lol, that is the definition of poor management. It's a little like the Knicks signing JR Smith jr.
                              "Bruno?
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                                Lol, that is the definition of poor management. It's a little like the Knicks signing JR Smith jr.
                                well, mini po IS talented, though.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X