The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shantz wrote: View Post
    Pulled this quote off the RealGM news feed, but it is actually from a Chad Ford article (Insider):

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...2014-nba-draft

I understand the sentiment behind a statement like this, particularly based on the toxic situation in Cleveland right now, but really? Ennis over Kyrie?

Anyway, with statements like this, there is no way that Ennis falls to the Raptors if there are GMs out there who view him in this type of light. My follow-up would be, how would this GM view players like Smart and Exum? Is he saying that all three are better PG prospects than Kyrie?
    I sense the pendulum is starting to swing back to traditional team-first, pass-first PGs, from the preference for ball-dominant, score-first PGs. Unless they are true superstars, a PG needs to be a facilitator who gets the rest of the team going, even if he is a great scorer. I think other GMs/coaches watching LBJ transform into this type of role has gone a long way in reiterating this need. Lowry is another great example, who has blossomed after being able to combine his natural talent/instincts with a need for leading DC's team-first charge.

Comment

• I like Clint Capela. I feel like your always have to put a plus defender next to JV. To cover up for his slack.

http://youtu.be/D29d4g1C80Y
      Reminds me of Amir...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        I like Clint Capela. I feel like your always have to put a plus defender next to JV. To cover up for his slack.

http://youtu.be/D29d4g1C80Y
        Reminds me of Amir...

I agree whole heartedly, at least for this year. I'm really hoping JV turns into a good defender in a couple years.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Has anyone ever read the 2nd part of my signature?

Basketball has clear winners every night --
          except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

When I read things like Ennis over Irving I wonder who that anonymous GM wishes to slip on draft night.

For Ennis to move up, someone has to move down.

A lot can and will change between now and the draft.

Last year I remember talking about Porter and Burke in the middle of the first round - and then they went 3 and 8. In 2011, Biyombo was a late first round pick this time that year only to move in to the top 10.

The combines make a lot of guys rise and fall with very little emphasis on their actual ball skill. A guy might measure 1.5" shorter barefoot or run the agility drill .1sec less than another.

Anyways, just pointing out what I'm sure many people here know. Not trying to be preachy or appear more knowledgeable than anyone else as I love good speculation more than most.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            People were talking about Ennis (including myself) pages ago on this thread. The rate things are going, no way he isn't picked up way before the Raptors make a selection. Probably the best pure PG in the draft that I've seen. Wouldn't take him over Smart, but if you include Exum Ennis is looking like the 3rd PG picked right now. Also, there's going to be quite a few senior PGs available in the 2nd round. Just have to hope that the Raps scouts do their job.
            I dunno, everyone loves the guy so i'm going to be called out on this but I'm starting to think otherwise....He still can't shoot, he isn't athletic so he struggles to finish around the rim, even in college and also has mediocre quickness.. and he's not a natural point guard in terms of playmaking for others. Even with his strength, intangibles etc, surely there HAVE to be questions about how good Smart is going to be. Starting to like Ennis over him.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
              Wow Stauskas has a really mediocre wingspan
              Personally I think he could end up being one of the best shooters in the game. He has a little swagger, lots of confidence, stays humble and works his ass off. He is quick, has a tight handle and has no problems getting up to the rim. Mediocre wingspan should be the least of anyone's worries with him. The defensive effort has seen a lot of improvement overall and will probably continue to do so.

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
                I dunno, everyone loves the guy so i'm going to be called out on this but I'm starting to think otherwise....He still can't shoot, he isn't athletic so he struggles to finish around the rim, even in college and also has mediocre quickness.. and he's not a natural point guard in terms of playmaking for others. Even with his strength, intangibles etc, surely there HAVE to be questions about how good Smart is going to be. Starting to like Ennis over him.
                OK State is struggling, but I really liked his game in the under 19 Worlds last summer and his play the season before. I think his game translates pretty well, but, I should sit down and see how Smart's currently doing. If Ennis goes through the tournament like this he may become a top 5 pick. That would be stunning.

Comment

• I wasn't necessarily looking at OK State's struggles, more so the player, although the two are probably related. Looks like to me he hasn't improved at all since last season. His shot has not improved for starters. I just feel like if you have poor speed, finish below the rim, yet have no mid range game and no soft touch, I don't see how it can work for you consistently offensively as a point guard. He seems to rely on transition or bullying his opponent with strength which probably won't work so well in the league.
                  According to draft express his ballhandling and generalpoint guard play is also not up to par either and he is a turnover machine, but that's not much of an issue as he lacks experience playing the point guard.
                  Anyway, was searching twitter to see if anyone else was talking about his flaws and stuff and came accross this article that compares him with Exum that kind of echoes what i was thinking.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...n-marcus-smart

Not saying he's a bust by any means, every prospect has his flaws, I just think there are some serious ones with him.
                  Last edited by BigCamB; Wed Feb 5, 2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
                    I wasn't necessarily looking at OK State's struggles, more so the player, although the two are probably related. Looks like to me he hasn't improved at all since last season. His shot has not improved for starters. I just feel like if you have poor speed, finish below the rim, yet have no mid range game and no soft touch, I don't see how it can work for you consistently offensively as a point guard. He seems to rely on transition or bullying his opponent with strength which probably won't work so well in the league.
                    According to draft express his ballhandling and generalpoint guard play is also not up to par either and he is a turnover machine,but that's not much of an issue as he lacks experience playing the point guard.
                    Anyway, was searching twitter to see if anyone else was talking about his flaws and stuff and came accross this article that compares him with Exum that kind of echoes what i was thinking.

Not saying he's a bust by any means, every prospect has his flaws I just think there are some serious ones with him.
                    Poor speed and finish below the rim? I've never seen any games or reports that support that claim. Smart is very athletic and has great size. Sure, his shot isn't great yet, but I seem to remember a couple of other PGs that came out of college with poor shots and turned out pretty good by the names of Rajon Rondo and Russell Westbrook. While Smart's offensive game is more akin to Westbrook, his defence is akin to Rondo. That's a pretty devastating combination.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                      Poor speed and finish below the rim? I've never seen any games or reports that support that claim. Smart is very athletic and has great size. Sure, his shot isn't great yet, but I seem to remember a couple of other PGs that came out of college with poor shots and turned out pretty good by the names of Rajon Rondo and Russell Westbrook. While Smart's offensive game is more akin to Westbrook, his defence is akin to Rondo. That's a pretty devastating combination.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grjkPue0ZL0

Can check his draft express profile, he's never been noted for his athleticism since he has been scouted in high school.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marcus-Smart-6284/

I've seen a youtube clip of him throwing down some nice dunks in a fun dunk contest with Julius Randle (ironically, another player noted for not having great athleticism), but it doesn't translate into games. Perhaps it's because of a poor first step, he can't get the momentum to take off and finish, I dunno. He is not even remotely close to Westbrook athletically, though.

Quote from his nbadraft.net Profile

Weaknesses: Solid athlete, but not spectacular. Not the quickest or most explosive guard ... Not likely to finish above the rim in traffic, but utilizes his athleticism well.
                      etc.
                      Last edited by BigCamB; Wed Feb 5, 2014, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• I want Clint Capela. Only if Casey is still coaching. Casey will transform this kid into a defensive juggernaut. After watching JV I've realized that he will never be that defensive anchor that we all hope he was. That being said his still has a chance to be special offensively. I feel we need to get some D out of that 4 position. With Capela being coached by Casey. We could have Serge Ibaka 2.0.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...n-the-d-league

Good read on PJ Hairston.

“I deserve all the blame,” Hairston said. “It was totally my fault. I regret everything that happened.”

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            I want Clint Capela. Only if Casey is still coaching. Casey will transform this kid into a defensive juggernaut. After watching JV I've realized that he will never be that defensive anchor that we all hope he was. That being said his still has a chance to be special offensively. I feel we need to get some D out of that 4 position. With Capela being coached by Casey. We could have Serge Ibaka 2.0.

Never heard of him before you mentioned him..

Reminds me of Amare Stoudemire. Could be a good pickup for sure.

Personally, I'd still prefer a PG.

Comment

• Yeah, first time I've watched him too, but he's an impressive physical specimen. I'd definitely consider him if he was on the board when we pick. I like PGs too, but if all of the first-tier PGs are off the board when we pick, I think it's worth trusting that one of the second-tier PGs will drop to the Sacramento pick in the early 2nd.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                                Yeah, first time I've watched him too, but he's an impressive physical specimen. I'd definitely consider him if he was on the board when we pick. I like PGs too, but if all of the first-tier PGs are off the board when we pick, I think it's worth trusting that one of the second-tier PGs will drop to the Sacramento pick in the early 2nd.
                                Averaging 2.0 Blocks and 5.7 rebounds in 18.9 mins against grown men

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X