The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
    i think the only reason u guys say that is cause u see the next west brook. speed is not that much of a problem if he can cut angles and if we were to take anderson ross could guard the point. big bodys take up space making less spacing for the other team. just look at dallas. none of those guys are good defenders but they eat space.
    I don't think you draft Anderson to play PG. I think SF is still his natural fit. Don't know how well he translates defensively either way to the NBA, but a point-forward fits on a lot of teams in this day and age with a fair amount of scoring PGs.

It's also not just about D. He's going to struggle in any dribble scenarios on O, where his man can stay in front of him on the perimeter if it's a PG, can get around screens faster than he can use them....and it's not easy to design an offence around a post-up PG because then you need another good passer giving him entry passes as well, especially if he'll have trouble dribbling himself all the way down to the post. He'll have better matchups on both ends with SFs, I think.

Comment

i think the only reason u guys say that is cause u see the next west brook. speed is not that much of a problem if he can cut angles and if we were to take anderson ross could guard the point. big bodys take up space making less spacing for the other team. just look at dallas. none of those guys are good defenders but they eat space.
      But that would put Ross out of position defensively. He isn't designed to guard smaller quicker players. You don't draft a guy in the first round that you would need to drastically alter your defence to cover up.

Also, don't forget, lots of team use 2 PG line-ups, so what, Demar is going to guard the other and Anderson moves to SF?
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I don't think you draft Anderson to play PG. I think SF is still his natural fit. Don't know how well he translates defensively either way to the NBA, but a point-forward fits on a lot of teams in this day and age with a fair amount of scoring PGs.

It's also not just about D. He's going to struggle in any dribble scenarios on O, where his man can stay in front of him on the perimeter if it's a PG, can get around screens faster than he can use them....and it's not easy to design an offence around a post-up PG because then you need another good passer giving him entry passes as well, especially if he'll have trouble dribbling himself all the way down to the post. He'll have better matchups on both ends with SFs, I think.
        i dont think he will have trouble handling the rock he is very good with it. I dont know about u guys but i see the next penny hardaway

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          But that would put Ross out of position defensively. He isn't designed to guard smaller quicker players. You don't draft a guy in the first round that you would need to drastically alter your defence to cover up.

Also, don't forget, lots of team use 2 PG line-ups, so what, Demar is going to guard the other and Anderson moves to SF?
          raps run a defense scheme it doesnt matter who he guards

Comment

i dont think he will have trouble handling the rock he is very good with it. I dont know about u guys but i see the next penny hardaway
            Penny was a supremely gifted athlete before knee troubles started. Anderson is not. That's why Exum is compared to Penny, as he's got great quickness and athleticism.

Comment

It always matters who people guard. It's hard for any scheme to cover up the holes created by 2-3 mismatches. It's not impossible, but it's definitely picking one of the hardest routes...

Comment

Penny was a supremely gifted athlete before knee troubles started. Anderson is not. That's why Exum is compared to Penny, as he's got great quickness and athleticism.
                Exam is like a taller barbosa he doesn't handle the rock like penny at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Penny was a much more gifted athlete as far as movement on the court with speed, played at a much different pace.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

It always matters who people guard. It's hard for any scheme to cover up the holes created by 2-3 mismatches. It's not impossible, but it's definitely picking one of the hardest routes...
                    What I mean is the help defense will just come from a different place. I have no doubt Ross can stay in front of most guards in the league

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                      Lavine played point guard in high school and will play point guard again at the next level. He's playing on team with Kyle Anderson, who may be listed as a guard/forward but is the main ball handler, rightfully so, for the Bruins when he is on the floor. The coach's son, Bryce Alford, is also getting a lot of minutes at pg.

Westbrook and Holiday are two ex UCLA guards who didn't play much at the point in college.
                      I saw nuance in Westbrook and Holiday's games. They could change pace, change speed midstream, change direction while driving, calm guys down, act like leaders, and a bunch of other things Lavine isn't showing. Also, they played under a different regime. That UCLA system limiting point guards argument doesn't hold water.

How could such an athletic stud, be such a lowly recruited prospect? He is what he is.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                        Penny was a much more gifted athlete as far as movement on the court with speed, played at a much different pace.
                        Watching the vid u can tell me Anderson doesn't look more like penny than exum penny was calculating in the way he went to the granted he is not as Athletic but he is big like magic was

Comment

All teams run a defensive scheme and it always matters who guards who. Basketball, on a possession by possession basis, is usually won by exploiting a mismatch. Whether it's cause by a switching defence guarding the pick and roll or by specific substitutions (small ball); that is what every offence functions on.

If you put Ross on the PG, he might be able to stay in front of his man. Might. But then if the other team counters with a 2 Point lineup, then who guards the other, Demar or Anderson? Either way you are stretching both your individual coverage capabilities and your team help positioning/rotations.

Not to mention, for all of this to even work, you are locking yourself in to play Anderson only with certain teammates (players who can make up for his defensive liabilities) so there goes any possibilities of the guy coming off the bench except with the starters, if the starters can even manage to cover up for him.

Again, it's fairly simple. You don't draft a guy in the first round to play a position that he has no hope of defending. Draft a guy to fit and gel with the current group, not stretch them out.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Watching the vid u can tell me Anderson doesn't look more like penny than exum penny was calculating in the way he went to the granted he is not as Athletic but he is big like magic was

Exum is far more explosive than Anderson, and Penny loved getting to the hoop. That's where Exum thrives. He is always looking to penetrate. He can change speed, direction, can finish at the rim, and his handle is quite advanced for an 18-year old.

Everything I've seen so far about Anderson's game (which is admittedly not that much) makes him look more like a point-forward than oversized guard. And his lack of explosion makes it harder to slot him as the latter rather than the former.

Comment

All teams run a defensive scheme and it always matters who guards who. Basketball, on a possession by possession basis, is usually won by exploiting a mismatch. Whether it's cause by a switching defence guarding the pick and roll or by specific substitutions (small ball); that is what every offence functions on.

If you put Ross on the PG, he might be able to stay in front of his man. Might. But then if the other team counters with a 2 Point lineup, then who guards the other, Demar or Anderson? Either way you are stretching both your individual coverage capabilities and your team help positioning/rotations.

Not to mention, for all of this to even work, you are locking yourself in to play Anderson only with certain teammates (players who can make up for his defensive liabilities) so there goes any possibilities of the guy coming off the bench except with the starters, if the starters can even manage to cover up for him.

Again, it's fairly simple. You don't draft a guy in the first round to play a position that he has no hope of defending. Draft a guy to fit and gel with the current group, not stretch them out.
                              Which can be fine too. I can see Anderson fitting well as a forward with our group, as long as he can be a decent defender. We could still use more good passing on our team, and if Lowry is kept, having a point-forward who can create some O for him and Ross as 3pt shooters, and who can alleviate some of the pressure on DeMar and Lowry as ballhandlers...well that's a good thing. There is definitely some potential there to make things work without forcing the guy to play out of position.

Comment

You are right I can't argue with ur points. So far tho in ucla he is holding his own and guarding the position well enough. Is going to be a great on ball defender probably not but his size alone will give people problems if he can continue to cut angles at the next level. He has big steps they are not explosive tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X