The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Which can be fine too. I can see Anderson fitting well as a forward with our group, as long as he can be a decent defender. We could still use more good passing on our team, and if Lowry is kept, having a point-forward who can create some O for him and Ross as 3pt shooters, and who can alleviate some of the pressure on DeMar and Lowry as ballhandlers...well that's a good thing. There is definitely some potential there to make things work without forcing the guy to play out of position.
    ^^

If we drafting there are ways to put him on the court and see where he belongs. He rebounds , he passes well he is smart the question make on him is defense. We could do worst. Lavine I also question his defense as well as how good he can run a team Anderson runs point because he is probably the best decision maker in the team. So who really know what we can get out if Lavine if he is just a pure shooter I don't want a under 6'5 shooter guard who's name is not iverson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
      You are right I can't argue with ur points. So far tho in ucla he is holding his own and guarding the position well enough. Is going to be a great on ball defender probably not but his size alone will give people problems if he can continue to cut angles at the next level. He has big steps they are not explosive tho.

Perhaps but there are tons of guys who play point in college that don't have a prayer of defending in the NBA. I wouldn't put too much stock in that.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Here's my question how did slow flat-footed Magic Johnson defend his position? And how do we replicate that success? If we were to draft Anderson

Comment

• I feel he'll be adequate on D he has the length and ball I.Q. He knows his limitations. If you watch him play D on PGs he backs up and uses his 7'2" wingspan to cover the space. Let's be serious his going to be a back up PG next year. If Vasquez can be respectful against second units than I feel KA can too.

People also need to realize that someone has to guard him too. He has a nice handle and real good midrange game. Every time he pulls up he gets a great look at the rim. With his hesitation dribbles get him pretty far. As soon he get his shoulder pass the defender it's over cause of how long he is the player could never recover in time.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Here's my question how did slow flat-footed Magic Johnson defend his position? And how do we replicate that success? If we were to draft Anderson

The game was far less "defensive" back then. And they had very good defensive perimeter players like Michael Cooper and Byron Scott for much of Magic's tenure. Scott could even guard PGs. Not to mention having Kareem as a low-post anchor.

And while Magic was "slow" by PG standards, he was not an unathletic, slow player. He was quite athletic by wing or big standards. Anderson isn't even that it seems.

*By less defensive I mean that the game was more free flowing in general. It didn't get bogged down in the halfcourt as much into a physical, bruising, beat your man one-on-one style.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Feb 17, 2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• What im trying to elude to is that if anderson were to match up with one of the better perimeter players in the nba they would absolutely torch him. I wouldn't be comfortable with him guarding talented offensive players in the nba
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                I saw nuance in Westbrook and Holiday's games. They could change pace, change speed midstream, change direction while driving, calm guys down, act like leaders, and a bunch of other things Lavine isn't showing. Also, they played under a different regime. That UCLA system limiting point guards argument doesn't hold water.

How could such an athletic stud, be such a lowly recruited prospect? He is what he is.
                A great prospect is what he is. Coming out of high school he was 37 in ESPN's top 100. He was the Washington state player of the year. He has been rising because he has grown a couple inches since the start of his senior year.

Nepotism does hold water as a reason for limited minutes at point guard.

Comment

• Lavine came on to the national high school scene very late.

It might be nepotism -- which is highly unlikely with so much money at risk -- or it could be a coach desperate to find anything.

Comment

• Of course nepotism is at play on UCLA. Coach Alford is playing his son Bryce at point guard. Decent player who is going to be a four year guy while Lavine is a likely a one and done. So truth be told, coach is playing his son ahead of NBA talent at the pg position.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                      Of course nepotism is at play on UCLA. Coach Alford is playing his son Bryce at point guard. Decent player who is going to be a four year guy while Lavine is a likely a one and done. So truth be told, coach is playing his son ahead of NBA talent at the pg position.
                      Yeah UCLA fans can't stand this. I've been on a couple of their websites and they really don't appear to like Coach Alford

Comment

• Ejim getting some respect:
                        His Game in 30 Words or Fewer: He can score from the perimeter (35.2 percent from 3) and run the court, and in the paint he’s the prototypical undersize college forward who will drive other teams crazy.

You Might Know Him From: When he had 48 points and 18 rebounds against TCU a few weeks ago, and casual hoops fans all over the country went, “Wait, who is Melvin Ejim?” Unless you follow the Big 12 closely, there’s really no reason you would know him for anything more than that 48-point night. But after watching him carve up Texas last night, I got curious and started reading about him, and wound up becoming more invested in the Iowa State Cyclones than I ever imagined possible.
                        http://grantland.com/the-triangle/wh...t-melvin-ejim/

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                          Nice find. Great read. The best part is here:
                          And it all starts with Ejim, the Nigerian-Canadian from New Hampshire who will probably upstage Marcus Smart or Andrew Wiggins and take the Big 12 Player of the Year back to Iowa. He won’t make you dream about what’s next in the NBA, but he’ll probably remind you why college basketball’s fun in the first place. Get on board the bandwagon while there’s still time.

Comment

• Doug McDermott is crazy good. Wouldn't be surprise if he's a top 10 pick this year.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Just watched the ucla vs #1 Arizona game Kyle Anderson is really really nice as a point guard on the offensive end of the floor . He knows how to use his size and strength to get to where he needs to go . Decent at setting picks.

No one on ucla is a good defender and the joke is Kyle maybe the best defender on the team. He plays passing lanes well decent weak side shot blocker. Puts him self out of position tho by trying to help inside and gives up the 3 too often. He can not guard point guards at the next level cause he reaches way too much his defense is lazy but very smart player .

He is the clear leader of the team tho talking in all his teammates ear making sure they are in the right positions. I see that quiet fire in him to win.

Zach Lavine with all those hoops make a god damn lay up. Was not impressed with his game at all. He is a straight line guy give him a lane and u maybe on a poster

Comment

Just watched the ucla vs #1 Arizona game Kyle Anderson is really really nice as a point guard on the offensive end of the floor . He knows how to use his size and strength to get to where he needs to go . Decent at setting picks.

No one on ucla is a good defender and the joke is Kyle maybe the best defender on the team. He plays passing lanes well decent weak side shot blocker. Puts him self out of position tho by trying to help inside and gives up the 3 too often. He can not guard point guards at the next level cause he reaches way too much his defense is lazy but very smart player .

He is the clear leader of the team tho talking in all his teammates ear making sure they are in the right positions. I see that quiet fire in him to win.

Zach Lavine with all those hoops make a god damn lay up. Was not impressed with his game at all. He is a straight line guy give him a lane and u maybe on a poster

11 points 7 Assist 9 Rebounds 4/8 FG

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X