Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drake Global Ambassador of the Toronto Raptors

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Those words, in that order, make no sense. I stand by my original point: this seems pointless. If MLSE spent as much time focused on winning as they did on making more money, they wouldn't have two of the most futile teams in NA professional sports.

Now, get off my lawn you damn kids....
    lol - priceless.

Honestly, I know Drake as the kid in the wheelchair on Degrassi. I am slowly losing all touch with what is MTV-video award worthy.

Now with all that said.....

The biggest issue the Raptors have is the pompous stupidity that the Stephen A. Smith's of the US of A have towards Toronto. If Drake promoting the Raptors can change the perspective among the young basketball players of the US then I am all for it.

I think what T-Mac would have thought as a high school kid coming to Toronto and getting to hang with one of the biggest rap stars in the world today. Honestly, I think that might have changed his perspective on the cold wind or at least made it tolerable.

Now it might seem pretty superficial to be selling Toronto on a rap star but you have to appeal to what interests the players. 20-somethings are likely to be attracted to Drake... for whatever reason beats the hell out of me but whatever. Drake associated with the Raptors has absolutely nothing to do with appealing to the 35+ crowd... absolutely NOTHING.

If Drake brings either Kevin, Love or Durant, to Toronto in 2016 then Drake becomes my idol. I will put this picture in my bedroom, right over my wedding picture:

"Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

2. Like LBF liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

did Drake say something about the black jerseys being the new red? or is that thing on the homepage pointless

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    wow

are you like 50 years old?
    Don't confuse ignorance with age. I'm older than that, and despite some early misplaced arrogance, if there's one thing I've learned is that whatever the demographic: age, race, religion, geography, etc......... there are good/mature/understanding/tolerant people,,,, and then there are jackasses. Still working on that myself, but witnessing others being so arrogant helps see the light. hmmmm, yeah, that's the ticket: I'm a jackass sometimes because I want to show the young'uns how stupid it is! Yeah, that's it!

5. Like LBF, phez liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    Don't confuse ignorance with age. I'm older than that, and despite some early misplaced arrogance, if there's one thing I've learned is that whatever the demographic: age, race, religion, geography, etc......... there are good/mature/understanding/tolerant people,,,, and then there are jackasses. Still working on that myself, but witnessing others being so arrogant helps see the light. hmmmm, yeah, that's the ticket: I'm a jackass sometimes because I want to show the young'uns how stupid it is! Yeah, that's it!
    You're over 50!? Jeez you seem much younger

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    You're over 50!? Jeez you seem much younger

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    Come on, they don't have two of the most futile teams in NA sports, they have three of the most futile teams in NA pro sports.
    Duck Season !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    Don't confuse ignorance with age. I'm older than that
    damn son

10. Like LBF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Think about this:

When Nothing Was The Same leaked/was released it was the hot topic of 95% of athletes twitter/instagram. Why? A LOT of people LOVE Drake. He's a superstar. Athletes want to be rock stars and vice versa, it's that old cliche. You know how a bunch of athletes fired their well reputed agents to sign with JayZ? Even though JayZ had little to no actual experience being an agent? Guys like Masai and Casey can't talk to players under contract... but Drake can. You think a guy like Durant or Love or whoever is going to laugh off Drake? I'm not saying having him here means we're suddenly going to be a hotspot for free agents, but suddenly we have a chance.

This is a stroke of genius.

Leweike/MU rules.
    @jerboat

12. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    Who is drake and why should I care.
    google and you don't have to.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta give props to Drake - risky move to associate himself with a 'loser' brand like the Raps, when he's already on top of the entertainment world. If they continue to suck (which is mostly out of his control), then his image is going to take a hit. I guess he's really into 'starting from the bottom'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Gotta give props to Drake - risky move to associate himself with a 'loser' brand like the Raps, when he's already on top of the entertainment world. If they continue to suck (which is mostly out of his control), then his image is going to take a hit. I guess he's really into 'starting from the bottom'.
    The raptors can use Drake's popularity and Drake can use the raptors popularity. I doubt his image is going to take much of a hit..if it was too big of a risk, he wouldn't do it.

Shiit, the day I find myself defending the handicapped guy on Degrassi..Might as well learn to at least respect him if he's going to be the global ambassador of my fav team.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Say what you will, but the announcement of Drake and All-star game got us on the frontpage of Grantland
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...kend-and-drake
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

17. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And in a vacuum, it will fail

But alone, it’s window dressing, fizz. The All-Star Game won’t help much, either. It’s recently been held in New Orleans, in Orlando, in Atlanta, in Phoenix, after which their best players left.
    But unless Ujiri assembles talent that fits and produces, who cares whether Drake is selling a team with one best-of-five playoff win in 20 years?

So great, Drake will be associated with the team; hey, maybe there’s room for Justin Bieber, too, to entice the even younger generation. The Raptors will put up billboards, and they will be shiny and bright. And it won’t matter a bit if they don’t have anything to sell.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...ey-do-not-win/

I think Arthur is not in the demographic Drake is appealing to (for the record I am not either). I think he underestimates the influence he would have. Who would you listen to if you were a 20 something free agent on the merits of Toronto: a stiff in a suit or Drake?

But in the end Arthur is right: none of this means shit if the raptors don't win.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Piece I linked to above was written by a guy who lives in LA and it's a huge homer piece... here's my favourite bits

I have big dreams for the Raptors. Dreams that start with Masai Ujiri sabotaging this year's team, continue with Adam Silver rigging his first NBA lottery to give the Raptors Andrew Wiggins, and end with the Raptors bringing back their 1998 jerseys while Wiggins and Jonas Christ Superstar take over the world in, like, 2017. We can do this.
    Conflicted Drizzy feelings and vague job description aside, we have to applaud any NBA team that (a) has a Global Ambassador, and (b) chooses a rapper as its Global Ambassador. Does Drake make the Raptors cool? Of course he doesn't. Not by himself. Drake is not Jay Z. But all this is a good start to making the Raptors relevant for the first time in what feels like a decade.

That's the biggest goal here, and everyone should be onboard. Think about the cities across the NBA. I've never been to Toronto, but I'd much rather visit there than:

• Oklahoma City
    • Charlotte
    • Indianapolis
    • Phoenix
    • Orlando
    • Salt Lake City
    • Detroit (apologies to America's Team)
    • San Antonio
    • Cleveland
    • Sacramento
    • Minneapolis
    • Milwaukee

Toronto beats all those cities, and probably more if you want to start getting into stupid arguments.
    the Raptors may still look like the Bobcats of the Great North for another year or so, but soon enough this team won't suck, and after that they'll go back to the '99 jerseys, and soon after it'll be All-Star Weekend, and everyone will realize that Toronto has been pretty great all along.
    Maybe US sports writers didn't shit on us for all those years because we were in Canada, maybe, just maybe, it had something to do with us SUCKING GIANT @$$ BALLS?

Now that there's a reason to be excited about this team we will see more positive pieces by sports writers.
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Tue Oct 1st, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

20. Like ceez, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Piece I linked to above was written by a guy who lives in LA and it's a huge homer piece... here's my favourite bits

Maybe US sports writers didn't shit on us for all those years because we were in Canada, maybe, just maybe, it had something to do with us SUCKING GIANT @$$ BALLS?

Now that there's a reason to be excited about this team we will see more positive pieces by sports writers.
    Where is the link?
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Where is the link?
    Never mind!!
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO, this is a move that certainly can't hurt anybody. But like suggested above, it doesn't mean a damn thing if the team continues to lose games.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    The raptors can use Drake's popularity and Drake can use the raptors popularity. I doubt his image is going to take much of a hit..if it was too big of a risk, he wouldn't do it.

Shiit, the day I find myself defending the handicapped guy on Degrassi..Might as well learn to at least respect him if he's going to be the global ambassador of my fav team.
    Well that's it right there. Unfortunately, other than the hardcore fans like us here on RR, the Raptors 'popularity' is synonymous with futility. On major US media, just mentioning you are a Raptors fans is met with the immediate responses like: "really?? I mean for real?? and assorted snickering and snide comments". Even right here in our own backyard, the majority of Toronto sports fans (i.e. hockey town) don't give a rats ass about the Raps, sadly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Well that's it right there. Unfortunately, other than the hardcore fans like us here on RR, the Raptors 'popularity' is synonymous with futility. On major US media, just mentioning you are a Raptors fans is met with the immediate responses like: "really?? I mean for real?? and assorted snickering and snide comments". Even right here in our own backyard, the majority of Toronto sports fans (i.e. hockey town) don't give a rats ass about the Raps, sadly.
    Winning cures all!

26. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When he releases his hit single dropping rhymes about the title the Raptors just won come ask me my opinion haha.

Right now he could probably make a pretty good single titled: "Bricks & Pylons".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information