Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Drake Global Ambassador of the Toronto Raptors

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just want to hear everyone's opinions on something. From what I read in this thread, there is a huge discussion on what Drake actually does and what he can do for the Raptors, but I think the better question is do you guys really think that free agents really care about playing for a team that a famous rapper as a global ambassador? Personally, I don't really think free agents care so much about what artist is repping what team. I think it plays like less than 10% in the decision making process of what team free agents choose. I believe that FAs care more about things such as possibility of winning whether it be playoffs or a title (or possibility of rejuvenating a career for some players), family, and money. I don't really think that Raptors will attract free agents just because we have Drake as our global ambassador. Can't really see Raptors attracting medium - big free agents if our team is garbage next year just because Raptors have Drake. Again, we needs to have a winning culture and show the league that we are capable of winning and making the playoffs (which is small ATM). Just my two cents. Thoughts?

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    .... Just my two cents. Thoughts?
    I am sure you are right.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just want to hear everyone's opinions on something. From what I read in this thread, there is a huge discussion on what Drake actually does and what he can do for the Raptors, but I think the better question is do you guys really think that free agents really care about playing for a team that a famous rapper as a global ambassador? Personally, I don't really think free agents care so much about what artist is repping what team. I think it plays like less than 10% in the decision making process of what team free agents choose. I believe that FAs care more about things such as possibility of winning whether it be playoffs or a title (or possibility of rejuvenating a career for some players), family, and money. I don't really think that Raptors will attract free agents just because we have Drake as our global ambassador. Can't really see Raptors attracting medium - big free agents if our team is garbage next year just because Raptors have Drake. Again, we needs to have a winning culture and show the league that we are capable of winning and making the playoffs (which is small ATM). Just my two cents. Thoughts?
    I don't think the Drake news was meant to affect anything on the court. It's purely a marketing maneuver. It'll have as much impact on winning/losing as new uniforms will.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

4. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Drake will be nothing but a public figure. The main goal the Toronto Raptors need to achieve is to become Canada's team. Most teams have one state rooting for them, Toronto could have an entire country. Which explains the rebrand and the all star game announcement. Time to put basketball on the map for Canada. In basketball terms, in the next 4-6 years Canada will have some of the greatest talent around and a competing Olympic roster. Wiggins, Bennett, Pangos, Kelly, Thompson, and many more. Canada needs to televise Kansas games for Wiggins, networks need to wake the fuck up and realize people will watch of you market basketball correctly. And if that means Drake has to be the one to tell us, then thats fine with me.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Cbradley wrote: View Post
    Drake will be nothing but a public figure. The main goal the Toronto Raptors need to achieve is to become Canada's team. Most teams have one state rooting for them, Toronto could have an entire country. Which explains the rebrand and the all star game announcement. Time to put basketball on the map for Canada. In basketball terms, in the next 4-6 years Canada will have some of the greatest talent around and a competing Olympic roster. Wiggins, Bennett, Pangos, Kelly, Thompson, and many more. Canada needs to televise Kansas games for Wiggins, networks need to wake the fuck up and realize people will watch of you market basketball correctly. And if that means Drake has to be the one to tell us, then thats fine with me.
    I think there are 2 points blended into 1 here.

1. The Raptors

and

2. Canada Basketball

I don't think the success or exposure of Wiggins, Thompson, Bennett, etc. will have any direct affect on the Raptors (especially if the Raptors continue to miss the playoffs year after year). The only way for the nation to embrace the Raptors is with wins. Just like how the Blue Jays did it 20+ years ago.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

7. Like Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand what your saying, but if people are more exposed and realize the success of Canada Basketball, they will be more engaged with the NBA and therefore, become a fan of the only Canadaian team, the Toronto Raptors. There needs to be an atmosphere like Gstate in order to get strong players who will stay and that can translate into wins. Wins arent coming soon, and success is long term, why not increase our current mediocure fan base.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not about free agents, you're looking in the wrong direction. It's about the atmosphere, Drake is now associated with the raptors, raptors can easily come up in a conversation that starts out about Drake. It's about building the allusion of hype. Drake can hype the raptors.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

10. Like lilmamba_ liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    It's not about free agents, you're looking in the wrong direction. It's about the atmosphere, Drake is now associated with the raptors, raptors can easily come up in a conversation that starts out about Drake. It's about building the allusion of hype. Drake can hype the raptors.
    The problem is can the added hype of the Raptors really attract free agents since that's what really matters in the long run; to win a championship or at least make the playoffs first off (One step at a time I suppose). I don't care about what famous artist is repping our team and I don't think free agents care either. I mean it's nice to have a famous rapper hyping up our city and our team to the NBA and it doesn't hurt to have him being our global ambassador, but in the long run, who cares? And you're wrong, it is about the free agents. He'll help promote Canadian Basketball, but again, I don't see Drake helping us get big free-agents if we aren't even remotely in the playoff picture. I also don't think this will help increase free agency in Toronto in the future as much either. It has shown that a player much rather get a chance at a ring than come back home to rep their country. Nash didn't want to come back (nor was he obligated) to Canada and play for his country's only team. He much rather go to the Lakers and try to win a championship (which unfortunately looks like he won't). He was tempted to come and almost did, but it just goes to show that just because more Canadian players are entering the NBA doesn't mean that we can necessarily attract them to the Raptors easily until we can prove to them that we are a competitive team that can win!

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is can the added hype of the Raptors really attract free agents since that's what really matters in the long run; to win a championship or at least make the playoffs first off (One step at a time I suppose). I don't care about what famous artist is repping our team and I don't think free agents care either. I mean it's nice to have a famous rapper hyping up our city and our team to the NBA and it doesn't hurt to have him being our global ambassador, but in the long run, who cares? And you're wrong, it is about the free agents. He'll help promote Canadian Basketball, but again, I don't see Drake helping us get big free-agents if we aren't even remotely in the playoff picture. I also don't think this will help increase free agency in Toronto in the future as much either. It has shown that a player much rather get a chance at a ring than come back home to rep their country. Nash didn't want to come back (nor was he obligated) to Canada and play for his country's only team. He much rather go to the Lakers and try to win a championship (which unfortunately looks like he won't). He was tempted to come and almost did, but it just goes to show that just because more Canadian players are entering the NBA doesn't mean that we can necessarily attract them to the Raptors easily until we can prove to them that we are a competitive team that can win!
    As has been mentioned a few times already, it is very unlikely this move was made to attract Free Agents. It's more likely this was about attracting Free Press. And good Press at that.
    With better Press comes more attention to the team. With more attention comes more fans.
    It's about hitching our PR ride to a PR winner.

The only thing that will attract Free Agents is winning.
    And that puts us in the same boat as about 20 other teams in the league.
    Last edited by Joey; Thu Oct 3rd, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

13. Like LBF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just finished saying it's not about free agents and then you go right back to free agents... What gives man? Yes, Lebron isn't going to sign in toronto because drake is global ambassador. Congrats, here's a cookie!

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    As has been mentioned a few times already, it is very unlikely this move was made to attract Free Agents. It's more likely this was about attracting Free Press. And good Press at that.
    With better Press comes more attention to the team. With more attention comes more fans.
    It's about hitching our PR ride to a PR winner.

The only thing that will attract Free Agents is winning.
    And that puts us in the same boat as about 20 other teams in the league.
    it's a domino effect, you just need that first domino to fall and off to the races!

Drake is a piece towards that first domino falling.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information