Hey Masai! Is Boston the hold up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Masai! Is Boston the hold up?

So many people (here, other forums/blogs, journalists) are guessing what the Ujiri and the Raptors plan to do. We are all pretty hardcore Raptor fans here and we often (ok not everyone but definitely myself included) tend to look at the Raptors in a vacuum.

The reality is the Raptors are 1 of 30 teams in a league. Ujiri might want to trade Lowry/DeRozan/JV/Amir/Gay/WHOEVER yesterday but if there is no taker at market value (or better!) then it does not make much sense to make a trade just for the sake of it, now does it? Didn't think so.

Every year we see one player or team who creates a plug in the dam and no other trade can flow through until that one is resolved. Team A wants to trade with Team B but Team B is waiting to see what happens with Team C who is also talking with Team D while Team D is waiting for Team A. Last season to a small extent Gay was that player. The year before it was the Dwightmare. Before that it was Dra-Melo.

Who is it this year? Is it Rondo and the Boston Celtics? Marc Stein at ESPN.com seems to think so:

They have to trade Rajon Rondo. You know it, I know it, everyone in basketball knows it. In the interim, though, hats off to Danny Ainge. By hiring Brad Stevens, he's found a way to keep the Celts riveting for the Boston die-hards while he's in the midst of all these tricky rebuilding transactions.

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings...r/2014/week/-1

Is Detroit waiting to see where Rondo goes? If so, would Gay be their second option?

What about Milwaukee? If so, would Lowry interest them - or do you really think an owner and GM trying to get a new arena and make the playoffs each year is happy with Knight as a ? What about DeRozan when they have one of best stretch 4's (Ilyasova) in the game?

Is Houston the dark horse?

And while Toronto may be waiting on those teams, maybe you have Charlotte waiting on Toronto? Maybe Cleveland is waiting too? Or maybe Toronto is waiting for them? Or maybe none of these teams are waiting for another but different teams who the previously mentioned teams are waiting for are on hold due to some other team?

Hopefully point is taken here: Rondo appears to be the 2013-14 trade blocker.

What do you think?

Trades do frequently seem to happen in domino like fashion. It will be interesting to see if Stein is right.

Comment

trade everybody if it's what's going to help in the long run..seems like the raptors are swaying that way, but I don't think Masai and co. are rady just yet to give up on the current roster
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

No, certainly right now Rondo isn't the hold-up because he's still injured, maybe once he's healthy and playing then yes he's a major chip, but not right now. There is only one player that I can think of who is 95% likely to be traded this season and could start the domino effect and that is Gortat. Also, Portland might have to resign themselves to trading Aldridge.

Also, i bet Ainge is trying to sell the same story to Rondo that he sold to Pierce in convincing him that the team will suck for a season, then I'll get you two All-stars to play with.

On an unrelated note, Patrick O'Bryant got a camp invite to Charlotte and I have no idea why.
        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
          No, certainly right now Rondo isn't the hold-up because he's still injured, maybe once he's healthy and playing then yes he's a major chip, but not right now. There is only one player that I can think of who is 95% likely to be traded this season and could start the domino effect and that is Gortat. Also, Portland might have to resign themselves to trading Aldridge.

Also, i bet Ainge is trying to sell the same story to Rondo that he sold to Pierce in convincing him that the team will suck for a season, then I'll get you two All-stars to play with.

On an unrelated note, Patrick O'Bryant got a camp invite to Charlotte and I have no idea why.
          Well, because it's Charlotte. If there is one team that made a worse pick than us in the 06 draft, it's Charlotte. POB wasn't attrocious with the raps, he just was mainly a seat warmer. He played ok when he got minutes.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Rondo isn't a tradeblocker for Rudy. He's probably a tradeblocker for Lowry, though.

Comment

Rajon Rondo and Brad Stevens are best friends forever!

http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/10/1...iew-butler-bff

Comment

game thread for oct 7 already? lol.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                  Rondo isn't a tradeblocker for Rudy. He's probably a tradeblocker for Lowry, though.
                  But there's only one bag of money. A team may have room for one but not both. Sadly, the money likely matters more than the position or basketball skills.....

There is only one player that I can think of who is 95% likely to be traded this season and could start the domino effect and that is Gortat.
                  As much as I like Gortat, it's hard for me to see any team making their plans around him or a trade involving Gortat starting an arms race.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    But there's only one bag of money. A team may have room for one but not both. Sadly, the money likely matters more than the position or basketball skills.....

As much as I like Gortat, it's hard for me to see any team making their plans around him or a trade involving Gortat starting an arms race.
                    Agreed.

The team that should be lining up for him is OKC.

Comment

“What you just described is the worst-kept secret in the NBA,” Rose goes on. “Once you trade Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, the year before [you lose] Ray Allen, you lose Doc Rivers, the next obvious domino is Rajon Rondo.”

Simmons concludes by saying, “Don’t leave one room in the blown-up house and be like, ‘Nah, I’m going to keep the living room.’ You blow up the house.”

http://nesn.com/2013/10/rajon-rondo-...-says-video/2/

Comment

Bill Simmons is the most opinionated and bias basketball personality you could quote

Comment

Bill Simmons..I find it difficult to gauge whether he's actually really smart or dumb as fuck..it's like he seems to know what he's talking about,but at the same time he doesn't..

Comment

Simmons is 100% correct though
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              Simmons is 100% correct though
                              I don't know about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X