Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 85

Thread: Landry Fields Elbow

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quite frankly, even if he didn't shoot Fields would be a major asset because of his ability to guard elite shooters. In another thread someone had a video of Landry guarding Kobe. He stuck with him for 4 or 5 Kobe jinks and still contested the shot. There is no one else on the Raptors who can do that. Fields doesn't need to shoot if he lowers the score of the best shooter on the other team by 10 points, or changes there shooting % from 48 to 32.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    If he recovers some semblence of a shot Landry Fields, is a younger more athletic Shane Battier. I still think if he could get his numbers back closer to his rookie season, our starting lineup would be more balanced as Lowry, Fields, Gay, Hansbrough, Valanciunas.
    +1. If Landry could ever shoot 35%+ from three, plus do all the other things he already does, he'd be the perfect perimeter glue guy for this team. Here's to hoping for a full recovery.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In his interview on "Raptors Today" following today's practice he seemed pretty upbeat about things, again repeating the "tweaking" need but he was knocking down shots.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Superstar FoxMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    he also said he will not be the guy shooting 3's and his role will be to attack attack attack..

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "I told him, don't even worry about his shot," said Raptors coach Dwane Casey. "He's been working his butt off on his shot, his shot has improved but I'm not even concerned about that because he brings so many other things to the table."

    http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=433289
    The entire article is a good read on where Fields is right now.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Last year, when the Raptors came to Halifax for the Intra-squad scrimmage, you could tell Landry didn't have his shot as he really (REALLY) struggled shooting free throws, including 1 or 2 not even hitting rim. I will be keep a close eye on him this Saturday at this year's game to see if he has been able to at least get the mechanics back. I'm less worried about his range as that will come as his elbow regains strength, but only if he can get his mechanics back.
    Please post whist you observe.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Quite frankly, even if he didn't shoot Fields would be a major asset because of his ability to guard elite shooters. In another thread someone had a video of Landry guarding Kobe. He stuck with him for 4 or 5 Kobe jinks and still contested the shot. There is no one else on the Raptors who can do that. Fields doesn't need to shoot if he lowers the score of the best shooter on the other team by 10 points, or changes there shooting % from 48 to 32.
    Agreed. Just let him stick to the cutting lay ups. He does need to give the threat of scoring on offence .....remember Reggie Evans other teams left him alone on offence and did double team on others. We need to avoid that.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My opinion is that I think the reality of Fields' situation is that they're not expecting much out of him this year. I think the players we brought in or the moves we didn't make kind of reflects what they expect of him, which is not a whole lot. I think the talk about the intangibles he brings minus the offense is just lip service. They say that so that Landry doesn't discouraged, and so that his competition doesn't grow complacent.

    What troubles me about Fields is that we're into year 2 of a 3-year contract. Last year all the talk was about whether he could return to his rookie form and whether the second year was an aberration. Now we're a full year ahead of that and still asking the same questions. When you think about the possibility that he won't get a ton of minutes, coupled with uncertainty around his injury we could literally be asking the same questions we had of him last year in year 3 of his ridiculously overpaid contract. And that kind of scares me.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  9. Like Fully liked this post
  10. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    My opinion is that I think the reality of Fields' situation is that they're not expecting much out of him this year. I think the players we brought in or the moves we didn't make kind of reflects what they expect of him, which is not a whole lot. I think the talk about the intangibles he brings minus the offense is just lip service. They say that so that Landry doesn't discouraged, and so that his competition doesn't grow complacent.

    What troubles me about Fields is that we're into year 2 of a 3-year contract. Last year all the talk was about whether he could return to his rookie form and whether the second year was an aberration. Now we're a full year ahead of that and still asking the same questions. When you think about the possibility that he won't get a ton of minutes, coupled with uncertainty around his injury we could literally be asking the same questions we had of him last year in year 3 of his ridiculously overpaid contract. And that kind of scares me.
    The first part is right. You just have to make the best of it. Once you accept the overpriced deal, you can live with the idea that anything you get from him is icing on the cake. If he returns to top form then all the better. It's not like this team is one piece away from contending and Fields is the issue. Derozan and Gay are going to play most of the wing minutes I imagine, Ross will get a chance and I suspect Fields will get his minutes. If Ross hasn't improved, you run Fields out there more and he can still help you, even if he isn't at his best.

  11. #30
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    The first part is right. You just have to make the best of it. Once you accept the overpriced deal, you can live with the idea that anything you get from him is icing on the cake. If he returns to top form then all the better. It's not like this team is one piece away from contending and Fields is the issue. Derozan and Gay are going to play most of the wing minutes I imagine, Ross will get a chance and I suspect Fields will get his minutes. If Ross hasn't improved, you run Fields out there more and he can still help you, even if he isn't at his best.
    Speaking of Ross, we haven't heard a damn thing about him. He seems to be the forgotten man (already).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  12. #31
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,062
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The fact that we're closing in on a full calendar year from Fields' elbow problem being diagnosed and it's apparently still not fixed is a huge red flag for me considering that you'd assume he's been working with top end medical professionals and receiving some of the best treatment available during that time. I think he'll make a small impact this year in a few games with his defense and energy, but I think his jumper is gone for good. I predict this will be his last NBA contract.

  13. #32
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,969
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    The fact that we're closing in on a full calendar year from Fields' elbow problem being diagnosed and it's apparently still not fixed is a huge red flag
    It shouldn't be a huge red flag. Nerves take a REALLY LONG time to heal. Ask anyone on here if they have sustained nerve damage, how long that can take to heal....the answer is years if it even heals at all.

  14. #33
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,062
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    It shouldn't be a huge red flag. Nerves take a REALLY LONG time to heal. Ask anyone on here if they have sustained nerve damage, how long that can take to heal....the answer is years if it even heals at all.
    Yeah you're right. I guess it isn't a red flag after all.














    Wait, what?

  15. Like themasao liked this post
  16. #34
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    It shouldn't be a huge red flag. Nerves take a REALLY LONG time to heal. Ask anyone on here if they have sustained nerve damage, how long that can take to heal....the answer is years if it even heals at all.
    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Yeah you're right. I guess it isn't a red flag after all.

    Wait, what?
    It shouldn't be a surprise, but it is a "red flag" (as in, cause for concern that a $5million player may not be able to contribute).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  17. Like Axel liked this post
  18. #35
    Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    The fact that we're closing in on a full calendar year from Fields' elbow problem being diagnosed and it's apparently still not fixed is a huge red flag for me considering that you'd assume he's been working with top end medical professionals and receiving some of the best treatment available during that time. I think he'll make a small impact this year in a few games with his defense and energy, but I think his jumper is gone for good. I predict this will be his last NBA contract.
    I had what I thought was tennis elbow from too much serving a year ago, and when I went to physio her first diagnosis was that my nerve was 'catching' at the elbow and that was the cause of the pain. Needless to say she didn't seem at all optimistic about my chances for a full recovery, even with surgery. One of those 'it's possible, but very far from guaranteed'.

    Turns out it was an issue with my UCL, which a healthy does of R.I.C.E fixed. Point is, nerve issues (especially in a joint as finicky as the elbow) are kind of worst case scenarios. Worse even than UCL tears/strains.

    I agree that Landry will likely never get his shot back, and that will likely mean he doesn't get another contract.

    Unless Colangelo finds another job between now and the end of next year...

  19. #36
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Even with no shot.. there are far worse players in the league than Fields that have a job. If Fields does not return to norm, I would still imagine that he will get another contract. He's a nice guy with a big IQ and does the little things that some coach's drool over. He's not worth $6M but he should get at least a $1-$2M a year in his next contract.

  20. #37
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Even with no shot.. there are far worse players in the league than Fields that have a job. If Fields does not return to norm, I would still imagine that he will get another contract. He's a nice guy with a big IQ and does the little things that some coach's drool over. He's not worth $6M but he should get at least a $1-$2M a year in his next contract.
    If Josh Childress got as many opportunities as he did and still continues to get, Fields will have more opportunities as well.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  21. Like planetmars liked this post
  22. #38
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Speaking of Ross, we haven't heard a damn thing about him. He seems to be the forgotten man (already).
    I wrote before that the Ross situation reminds me a little of Ed Davis. It never really sounded like they were entirely sold on the pick; felt like they had to make it; and then they had no real plan for what to do with the guy once he was in Toronto.

    Maybe the new regime can get him on track....

  23. #39
    Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I wrote before that the Ross situation reminds me a little of Ed Davis. It never really sounded like they were entirely sold on the pick; felt like they had to make it; and then they had no real plan for what to do with the guy once he was in Toronto.

    Maybe the new regime can get him on track....
    Not sure how anyone could feel they had to take Ross with the 8th pick. He was projected late lottery. Davis was projected top 10 and fell to 13.

  24. #40
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,969
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Yeah you're right. I guess it isn't a red flag after all.














    Wait, what?

    the suggestion was that with all the advanced doctors in the world his recovery was taking too long and that should be a red flag.

    I said, his recovery is on par with nerve damage recovery times and that his effort or the knowledge and effort of his doctors should not be a red flag, or the least bit surprising to anyone.

    That being said it sucks we are paying escort rates for a corner girl.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •