Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Landry Fields Elbow

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question, when the Raps signed Fields last year. What was your expectation? did you people bought in AGAIN to the Colangelo hype that Fields is going to be the Raps Shane Battier? come on!

The same people that are whining and bitching about Fields are probably the same people that bought in to the "Bargnani is the next Nowitzki" hype.

Fields is gonna be alright. He's the team's best perimeter defender. He's going to get his points just because of his energy. Don't expect him to be Shane Battier though.

And if i were you people, i'd be more concerned with Terrence Ross than with Landry Fields.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote caccia wrote: View Post
    Look, if the guy cannot shoot, send him to the D-league
    OK, I take it all back. Fields shot 3 for 5 and 2 for 2 from the line, with a nice, all-around game this evening.

Raptors Republic All-Star Raptorsnz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Despite the shooting problems he's 10-10 on FTs so far this preseason, which is nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
    Despite the shooting problems he's 10-10 on FTs so far this preseason, which is nice.
    He could eventually get really good at shooting a fucked up shot ala Marion.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    He could eventually get really good at shooting a fucked up shot ala Marion.
    To make a shot in basketball requires several physical and mental attributes. I don't know the technical name for all of them but try this out.

1. a player needs to know where his body is in in relation to other objects like the hoop, defending players and team mates.
    2. a player needs to understand intuitively the mechanics of motion ie. "I am moving at a certain speed and will arrive at a certain spot in 'x' fragment of time." He must also know this for the ball and the players around him.
    3. a player must understand the principles of the game, from the offensive and defensive sides in the sense of "this is the scenario in front of me. the optimum move would be..."
    4. a player needs to know his team mates tendencies and those of opposing players. "I am cutting towards the baseline through the right elbow. JV always sets a screen but the player guarding me tries to go over the screen most of the time so I need to cut towards JV to squeeze the space down to nothing and brush the opposing player off and get an open look."
    5. a player needs to know the opposing teams tendencies. "Their coach always wants the double to occur when a shooter drifts to the corner 3 pt shot to defend against it. I know my teammate on the weak side is aware of this and will break for the foul line as soon as he sees the big start to move. I will fake a pass to him and head to the rim"
    6. a player has to have a specific set of mechanical motions that he uses every time, the same way, so that he can train his body and eye to correctly send the ball the required distance on the required trajectory to get the ball in the basket.

Fields has everything but number 6. He is working on that. It is far harder to learn how to practice religiously and to learn body control than is is to groove a new set of shooting mechanics, once you have decided that is what you need to do.

Obviously this is not a technical treatise, but I think you get my drift. Fields will fix his shot. It may not be what it could have been but he will be a positive contributor for years.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information