Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raps Scrimmage in Halifax - a first glance chance - what to look for on Sat Oct 5th?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raps Scrimmage in Halifax - a first glance chance - what to look for on Sat Oct 5th?

With this Saturday being the Raptors Intra-squad scrimmage in Halifax, I just wanted to point out the areas I'll be specifically look at and give people the opportunity to say what specifics they are looking for at this early point of the season. I'll keep an eye out and report back on Monday.

1. Acy's Game
    What defensive responsibilities will we see from Acy, perimeter guys or down low? Offensively, is he a slasher, weakside crasher, pick n roll, pick n pop, high post, low post? How he is used could indicate Casey's intended role.

2. Demar
    What is his read progression on offence, the quick 3, the mid-range, drive and dish, drive and finish? Is he in attack mode, or is he surveying the defence? Will he guard Gay? (Don't know the "teams" yet but I hope they aren't on the same team so they can go at each other)

3. Landry Fields
    What are his shot mechanics like? Last year, he was terrible at the FT line, which was an ominous sign that turned out as dark as feared.

4. JV
    JV didn't play last year due to injury, so seeing his physique against Amir/Gray/Hansborough will be a key to spot. How is his vision from the post, does he hit the cutters and pass out of doubles, or does he force the shot?

5. Lowry
    Attack mode or passive? He missed last year due to injury.

6. Augustin vs Buycks
    With Lowry sure to start (barring injury) for one side, which gets the early nod as the "starter" on the other side? Will they be a combo vs Lowry, or will we get to see a head to head battle of the back-ups?
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Axel wrote: View Post
    With this Saturday being the Raptors Intra-squad scrimmage in Halifax, I just wanted to point out the areas I'll be specifically look at and give people the opportunity to say what specifics they are looking for at this early point of the season. I'll keep an eye out and report back on Monday.

1. Acy's Game
    What defensive responsibilities will we see from Acy, perimeter guys or down low? Offensively, is he a slasher, weakside crasher, pick n roll, pick n pop, high post, low post? How he is used could indicate Casey's intended role.

2. Demar
    What is his read progression on offence, the quick 3, the mid-range, drive and dish, drive and finish? Is he in attack mode, or is he surveying the defence? Will he guard Gay? (Don't know the "teams" yet but I hope they aren't on the same team so they can go at each other)

3. Landry Fields
    What are his shot mechanics like? Last year, he was terrible at the FT line, which was an ominous sign that turned out as dark as feared.

4. JV
    JV didn't play last year due to injury, so seeing his physique against Amir/Gray/Hansborough will be a key to spot. How is his vision from the post, does he hit the cutters and pass out of doubles, or does he force the shot?

5. Lowry
    Attack mode or passive? He missed last year due to injury.

6. Augustin vs Buycks
    With Lowry sure to start (barring injury) for one side, which gets the early nod as the "starter" on the other side? Will they be a combo vs Lowry, or will we get to see a head to head battle of the back-ups?
    Here's what I'm hoping for in each of those scenarios:

1) I think we'll see Acy playing a little bit of 3/4 when somebody like Novak or Daye is on the floor. I assume he'll be there to cover whichever of the 3/4 is more athletic when we need to rest the starters but desperately need to stretch the floor. He's been working on his jumpshot, so I think we'll see him as a garbage-bucket guy with the occasional pick n'roll/pop.

2) I bet we'll see Demar with the ball in his hand for smaller spurts of time while still getting lots of touches. His mid-range shot is great when he's open, and that will hopefully translate to a lot of corner 3's and baseline drives, but I wouldn't expect as much handling in the pick and roll. Most of his work on the perimeter should come from post-ups and fast swings so there's already lanes created for him, and Rudy can handle more of the point-forward stuff.

3) Landry.... I love his effort and team play, but he still doesn't do enough to be a 100% non-entity on offense. Like you said, what's his shot going to look like? If he can even hit mid-range or at least finish his drives/put-backs I'd like to see more of him this year.

4) High-percentage shots, more rebounding, less fouls. Quarterbacking the offense is going to be a slow progression, so I don't expect we'll see too much of it right off the bat because it'll probably end up in lots of TO's. Just a steady progression from what we saw last year should do it.

5) I can't wait to see Lowry. I think he'll have the biggest upswing from anybody on the team last year.

6) I didn't get to see enough of Buycks. Whichever one gets the nod off the bench will have their hands full with a less-than-stellar bench.
    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

Looking forward to the report, but I guess I question how much the intrasquad game will be indicative of the coming year. I think the competitive juices flow amongst the players, when they go at each other in one of these...on the other hand the coach is still trying things out. It is great to finally be talking about the game of basketball actually getting played again.

Bring on the season.

Comment

Tyler Hansbrough will start for the Raptors book it
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

So, for the first time in how many years they bring back the starting lineup and you think that they will break up the chemistry of a lineup that ranked in the top 10? Huh? Come on Thead.

I look forward to the report. If you could pay extra attention to Landry it would be greatly appreciated Axel. Thanks

Comment

looking forward Axel!

Comment

Okay everyone. I'm shutting down the forum until the regular season. I believe we have beaten every horse to death. There are no horses left
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                So, for the first time in how many years they bring back the starting lineup and you think that they will break up the chemistry of a lineup that ranked in the top 10? Huh? Come on Thead.

I look forward to the report. If you could pay extra attention to Landry it would be greatly appreciated Axel. Thanks
                Don't GET ME STARTED!

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                  Tyler Hansbrough will start for the Raptors book it
                  Man, are you ever pushing Psycho T to start! I don't think it will happen. Certainly not to start the season, but who knows how the rest of the season plays out.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                    Man, are you ever pushing Psycho T to start! I don't think it will happen. Certainly not to start the season, but who knows how the rest of the season plays out.
                    So we are clear...and so there are no mistakes. I don't think Hansbrough is in all ways shapes and form a better player. I just think when four of your five starters are offensive weapons, its a good idea to put at least one ass kicker out there. While Amir is a hustle man...I bet Tyler hurts more

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      So we are clear...and so there are no mistakes. I don't think Hansbrough is in all ways shapes and form a better player. I just think when four of your five starters are offensive weapons, its a good idea to put at least one ass kicker out there. While Amir is a hustle man...I bet Tyler hurts more
                      Hey, I hope like hell Tyler plays well enough to challenge for that starters spot, but with the way that starting unit came together at the end of last season, coupled with the priority of JV's development, that familiarity Jv has with working with Amir is going to override whatever benefits you see in starting Hansbrough, imo. Again, at least to start the year.

Comment

Nothing should be given to anyone but if Tyler ends up in the starting line up it wouldn't be surprising. When he was a free agent it was rumoured that he wanted to play on a team where he could start. He went to a non-contender and isn't making a lot of money compared to his peers.

MU may have promised him a starting gig. I don't know if he did but there are usually little things you say/do to help convince a free agent to play for you if you are not a contender and you didn't really show him the money.

Comment

I don't think MU would make that promise to anyone. He would be very PC and say that there is a very good chance, if TH worked hard enough, that he could accel.

Anyways.

Halifax scrimmage might be streamed online via raptors.com

WOOT.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                            I don't think MU would make that promise to anyone. He would be very PC and say that there is a very good chance, if TH worked hard enough, that he could accel.

Anyways.

Halifax scrimmage might be streamed online via raptors.com

WOOT.
                            Really!? Where did you hear that?
                            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

From Jay Saturo, their community manager in charge of tweets, youtube, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X