Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raps Scrimmage in Halifax - a first glance chance - what to look for on Sat Oct 5th?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    With this Saturday being the Raptors Intra-squad scrimmage in Halifax, I just wanted to point out the areas I'll be specifically look at and give people the opportunity to say what specifics they are looking for at this early point of the season. I'll keep an eye out and report back on Monday.

1. Acy's Game
    What defensive responsibilities will we see from Acy, perimeter guys or down low? Offensively, is he a slasher, weakside crasher, pick n roll, pick n pop, high post, low post? How he is used could indicate Casey's intended role.

2. Demar
    What is his read progression on offence, the quick 3, the mid-range, drive and dish, drive and finish? Is he in attack mode, or is he surveying the defence? Will he guard Gay? (Don't know the "teams" yet but I hope they aren't on the same team so they can go at each other)

3. Landry Fields
    What are his shot mechanics like? Last year, he was terrible at the FT line, which was an ominous sign that turned out as dark as feared.

4. JV
    JV didn't play last year due to injury, so seeing his physique against Amir/Gray/Hansborough will be a key to spot. How is his vision from the post, does he hit the cutters and pass out of doubles, or does he force the shot?

5. Lowry
    Attack mode or passive? He missed last year due to injury.

6. Augustin vs Buycks
    With Lowry sure to start (barring injury) for one side, which gets the early nod as the "starter" on the other side? Will they be a combo vs Lowry, or will we get to see a head to head battle of the back-ups?
    Things to watch for:

On Buycks, Coach Casey said, "My main thing is stopping his guy. We have enough scorers in DeMar, Rudy, JV, we have scorers. So if he is the fourth or fifth option, he has to be able to defend."

On Ross, Coach Casey said, “He is still learning to make reads off the dribble and pick-and-roll, make the right play, the pocket pass or finding the skip pass. He is learning to make those plays now and that is his next step."

On DeMar - Casey says he has made the step to read his options. "I can cut without the basketball. I can find open guys on the weak side and that is (Ross') next step. DeMar has made that step at the two position."

Its just a scrimmage, but it'll still be interesting to watch.
    Last edited by brothersteve; Fri Oct 4, 2013, 07:37 PM.
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      Halifax is a great city. Good eats, great bars...but the weather can really suck.
      I don't know, green grass in february is nice although you might get 10 feet of snow the next week and have the rain wash it all away the next. I got my undergrad from Dal specifically, because I liked the city so much, much more than Waterloo (my second choice). And yes, 1st year was a drunken blur doesn't help when Keith's is a sponsor. We also did make fun of the Torontonians, blonde rich girls in Lululemon tend to stand out (not that being from Ottawa was much better, except that there were a lot us).

I'd move back there if there were comparable job opportunities, but beyond military, education, government there isn't a whole lot else. I don't blame Torontonians, going to an old city that still celebrates its Gaelic and British roots is an unfamiliar experience, coming from a city that has become rootless.

/end of rant/thread jacking.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the Metro center like? Never went inside....
      Last edited by Raptorsss; Fri Oct 4, 2013, 07:40 PM.
      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
        Seems like I upset the people that live in the bloody Styx of Canada. Halifax sucks not even the people that live there really want to live there.

Plenty of options the Raps could have went to if they want players to fall in love with Canada. You never run into anyone who says hey you know where I want to go? Halifax that place is amazing....

Well I take some of that back it cant be as bad as Saskatchewan.
        Actually, I do a lot, but that has more to do with my extended family's affinity for travelling the country. How often do you run into people from Halifax in Toronto? I don't have people saying come to Liechtenstein, because I don't know anyone from there. It has little to do with the actual place.

Also, it wasn't a surprise that all the people from Toronto at Dal were white, the diversity was from the significant number international students.
        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

are they streaming it or something, and what time is it?
          What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
          The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
          No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
            are they streaming it or something, and what time is it?
            http://www.nba.com/raptors/raptorslive

Intrasquad game.

Woot

Comment

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...4/Anon-2611182

Interesting comment from Masai at around the 3 minute mark of his media interview last night. He was asked if he likes splitting up the training camp between two places or if he thought it would be better to hold the whole camp in one place. Masai said "My feeling is I always go with the coach and Coach Casey is fine by it. This is not a time or a subject where I impose. It's the coach. He knows how these guys are conditioned and react so, however he says he likes it."

Obviously the decision to go to Halifax was made some time ago, and at a higher level than Casey, but Masai is implying that it was on Casey to squash the idea if he thought it would hurt performance. Maybe this is reading the tea leaves too much, but I don't see Casey having that kind of influence with Brian.

Comment

Be interesting to see how Morais does. a long shot to stick, but he was scouted by Kansas in 2003.
                http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle14712969/

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                  http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...4/Anon-2611182

Interesting comment from Masai at around the 3 minute mark of his media interview last night. He was asked if he likes splitting up the training camp between two places or if he thought it would be better to hold the whole camp in one place. Masai said "My feeling is I always go with the coach and Coach Casey is fine by it. This is not a time or a subject where I impose. It's the coach. He knows how these guys are conditioned and react so, however he says he likes it."

Obviously the decision to go to Halifax was made some time ago, and at a higher level than Casey, but Masai is implying that it was on Casey to squash the idea if he thought it would hurt performance. Maybe this is reading the tea leaves too much, but I don't see Casey having that kind of influence with Brian.
                  I don't know what to think of the comment. It definitely makes sense, but if the Halifax trip was planned a long time ago, do they have the ability to just cancel if the guys are gassed? I'm not sure about that.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Comment

Does that count as popcorn time?

Comment

leggo team black

demar and one!!!
                        dj looks sweet on the court
                        and jv is being jv
                        Last edited by lilmamba_; Sat Oct 5, 2013, 11:25 AM.
                        What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                        The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar

Comment

ohhh demar !!!!! what a shot step back man, derozan!

is that the new cheerleader outfit..better than last years

Comment

Rudy to the rim!
                            RUDY with the TREY!!!!!!!!!
                            amir with the reverse and foul !!
                            three good plays in a row!

ross is picking up his game and dwight know how to run this team
                            Last edited by lilmamba_; Sat Oct 5, 2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

they look terrible....

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                                they look terrible....
                                no they don't..

Comment

Working...
                                X