Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade JV + more to the team with the 1st overall pick?

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you trade JV + more to the team with the 1st overall pick?

Would you?

Let's say JV + DeMar or Gay or Raps own 1st round pick to the team with the 1st overall pick?

I think that's the only way we can get Wiggins besides tanking. And im pretty confident this team is not going to tank unless they get off to another slow start.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question. I guess that all depends on how you view Jonas' ceiling. It is Tim Duncan, or Roy Hibbert?

I'd lean towards Jonas being the latter (i.e. a very solid player, but not a "franchise player"), in which case I would pull the trigger on a trade for Wiggins....assuming he lives up to the hype, dominates at the NCAA level, and is the consensus #1 pick come April 2014.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'd have to as the GM. If you had a chance to do that deal and it came out that you didn't you'd be absolutely destroyed in the press and the casual fan base. I would say from a GM perspective it's a no-brainer.

From a basketball perspective, I'd need to see Wiggins plays a game in college and see Val's second-year development. But, if you thought for a second Wiggins was a Durant-level guy, yeah, you'd trade Val, Gay, Derozan and everyone else....

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Interesting question. I guess that all depends on how you view Jonas' ceiling. It is Tim Duncan, or Roy Hibbert?

I'd lean towards Jonas being the latter (i.e. a very solid player, but not a "franchise player"), in which case I would pull the trigger on a trade for Wiggins....assuming he lives up to the hype, dominates at the NCAA level, and is the consensus #1 pick come April 2014.
    The chances of Jonas being Tim Duncan are about the same as me making the NBA. We are very very happy if he's Roy Hibbert, Aldridge, even Joakim Noah status. If Wiggins turns out like the say he is, you're probably one of the top 3 teams in the NBA in 5 years regardless of who left in the trade. So, um, yeah of course.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

too early for this thread. I rather see how these high school stars that are slated to be considered a top pick, do in their first year in college as well as how does JV performs in his sophomore year. At this point I am not willing to trade JV for a first overall pick.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe I posted this idea a while back. Wiggins will be a Raptor someday but stop with this getting him on draft day thing...

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We should close this thread, and then re-open it in mid-December (one month into the college season). The default answer to this question should be no until Wiggins and Co. live up to the hype ON THE COURT.

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides it will never happen because anybody with half a brain won't trade Wiggins before the draft and watch him turn into Lebron 2.0

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Besides it will never happen because anybody with half a brain won't trade Wiggins before the draft and watch him turn into Lebron 2.0
    He's too nice to become Lebron 2.0

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nobody is trading the first overall pick this year. Unless Miami or OKC luck into it, nobody else is passing up on Wiggins.

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

But Why ? you trade your 1 building block you're sure about to get a guy who might be good. You'll end up exactly where you were, you might be taking a step backwards, but you sure as hell are not taking a step forward. I'm rooting for Wiggins to be the next Lebron and better, but the kid hasn't done shit yet. He's athletic, he's a good kid, he's got talent, take away the hype and he might just be the next Terrence Ross ? By the time we know if he's the real deal, the pick will be untradable anyways, you won't know the draft order untill after the college season is over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Would you?

Let's say JV + DeMar or Gay or Raps own 1st round pick to the team with the 1st overall pick?

I think that's the only way we can get Wiggins besides tanking. And im pretty confident this team is not going to tank unless they get off to another slow start.
    I would absolutely hate doing it, but I would do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Nobody is trading the first overall pick this year. Unless Miami or OKC luck into it, nobody else is passing up on Wiggins.
    Stranger shit has happened (probably)

Post Thanks / Like

Was Kobe Bryant not traded for on draft day? Not a number 1 pick but might show some precedent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Was Kobe Bryant not traded for on draft day? Not a number 1 pick but might show some precedent
    He was a 13th overall pick. I honestly can't remember the last time the #1 pick was traded willingly by the team that held it post-lottery.

16. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure it's less costly and a lot more realistic to "tank" and trade in-season, thus keeping Jonas and improving chances at Wiggins. It makes no sense to avoid tanking and then gut the entire team for that pick, which is not going to be traded anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Wiggins won't be a Toronto Raptor.
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

19. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's less costly and a lot more realistic to "tank" and trade in-season, thus keeping Jonas and improving chances at Wiggins. It makes no sense to avoid tanking and then gut the entire team for that pick, which is not going to be traded anyway.
    I think the least costly and most realistic option is to not bank an entire season on getting Wiggins period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    I think the least costly and most realistic option is to not bank an entire season on getting Wiggins period.
    I just meant for chasing a high pick in general. You should shed the least amount of assets possible.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Wiggins won't be a Toronto Raptor.
    In about 6 years Id say its our best chance to land him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information