Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Would you trade JV + more to the team with the 1st overall pick?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Would you trade JV + more to the team with the 1st overall pick?

    Would you?

    Let's say JV + DeMar or Gay or Raps own 1st round pick to the team with the 1st overall pick?

    I think that's the only way we can get Wiggins besides tanking. And im pretty confident this team is not going to tank unless they get off to another slow start.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Interesting question. I guess that all depends on how you view Jonas' ceiling. It is Tim Duncan, or Roy Hibbert?

    I'd lean towards Jonas being the latter (i.e. a very solid player, but not a "franchise player"), in which case I would pull the trigger on a trade for Wiggins....assuming he lives up to the hype, dominates at the NCAA level, and is the consensus #1 pick come April 2014.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think you'd have to as the GM. If you had a chance to do that deal and it came out that you didn't you'd be absolutely destroyed in the press and the casual fan base. I would say from a GM perspective it's a no-brainer.

    From a basketball perspective, I'd need to see Wiggins plays a game in college and see Val's second-year development. But, if you thought for a second Wiggins was a Durant-level guy, yeah, you'd trade Val, Gay, Derozan and everyone else....

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Interesting question. I guess that all depends on how you view Jonas' ceiling. It is Tim Duncan, or Roy Hibbert?

    I'd lean towards Jonas being the latter (i.e. a very solid player, but not a "franchise player"), in which case I would pull the trigger on a trade for Wiggins....assuming he lives up to the hype, dominates at the NCAA level, and is the consensus #1 pick come April 2014.
    The chances of Jonas being Tim Duncan are about the same as me making the NBA. We are very very happy if he's Roy Hibbert, Aldridge, even Joakim Noah status. If Wiggins turns out like the say he is, you're probably one of the top 3 teams in the NBA in 5 years regardless of who left in the trade. So, um, yeah of course.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    too early for this thread. I rather see how these high school stars that are slated to be considered a top pick, do in their first year in college as well as how does JV performs in his sophomore year. At this point I am not willing to trade JV for a first overall pick.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I believe I posted this idea a while back. Wiggins will be a Raptor someday but stop with this getting him on draft day thing...

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We should close this thread, and then re-open it in mid-December (one month into the college season). The default answer to this question should be no until Wiggins and Co. live up to the hype ON THE COURT.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Besides it will never happen because anybody with half a brain won't trade Wiggins before the draft and watch him turn into Lebron 2.0

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Besides it will never happen because anybody with half a brain won't trade Wiggins before the draft and watch him turn into Lebron 2.0
    He's too nice to become Lebron 2.0

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nobody is trading the first overall pick this year. Unless Miami or OKC luck into it, nobody else is passing up on Wiggins.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    But Why ? you trade your 1 building block you're sure about to get a guy who might be good. You'll end up exactly where you were, you might be taking a step backwards, but you sure as hell are not taking a step forward. I'm rooting for Wiggins to be the next Lebron and better, but the kid hasn't done shit yet. He's athletic, he's a good kid, he's got talent, take away the hype and he might just be the next Terrence Ross ? By the time we know if he's the real deal, the pick will be untradable anyways, you won't know the draft order untill after the college season is over.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Would you?

    Let's say JV + DeMar or Gay or Raps own 1st round pick to the team with the 1st overall pick?

    I think that's the only way we can get Wiggins besides tanking. And im pretty confident this team is not going to tank unless they get off to another slow start.
    I would absolutely hate doing it, but I would do it.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Nobody is trading the first overall pick this year. Unless Miami or OKC luck into it, nobody else is passing up on Wiggins.
    Stranger shit has happened (probably)

  14. #14
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Was Kobe Bryant not traded for on draft day? Not a number 1 pick but might show some precedent

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Was Kobe Bryant not traded for on draft day? Not a number 1 pick but might show some precedent
    He was a 13th overall pick. I honestly can't remember the last time the #1 pick was traded willingly by the team that held it post-lottery.

  16. Like Nilanka liked this post
  17. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm pretty sure it's less costly and a lot more realistic to "tank" and trade in-season, thus keeping Jonas and improving chances at Wiggins. It makes no sense to avoid tanking and then gut the entire team for that pick, which is not going to be traded anyway.

  18. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wiggins won't be a Toronto Raptor.
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  19. Like Nilanka liked this post
  20. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's less costly and a lot more realistic to "tank" and trade in-season, thus keeping Jonas and improving chances at Wiggins. It makes no sense to avoid tanking and then gut the entire team for that pick, which is not going to be traded anyway.
    I think the least costly and most realistic option is to not bank an entire season on getting Wiggins period.

  21. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    I think the least costly and most realistic option is to not bank an entire season on getting Wiggins period.
    I just meant for chasing a high pick in general. You should shed the least amount of assets possible.

  22. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Wiggins won't be a Toronto Raptor.
    In about 6 years Id say its our best chance to land him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •