Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casey getting a fair shot or Ujiri waiting it out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employee wrote: View Post
    I'm looking forward to the George Karl era.
    please, pretty please.

Comment

I remember when BC came in, and it was sort of the same question with Mitchell ... well, didn't Smitch just go out and win the COY award, making it completely backfire on BC because it was still obvious Smitch wasn't his guy.

I don't think MU would make the same mistake again. I think if he really had a better option than Casey, he would've put him in already, not build a staff around Casey. Unless, within that staff is MU's guy ... **dun dun dun**
      Last edited by Joey; Mon Oct 7, 2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I think he deserves a fair shot, as some of the trouble last year was from Colangelo pushing an up tempo offense that just didn't work for us. This year we should be grinding out some ugly defensive wins. However, my guess is that Ujiri is just waiting until he gets more of his own players on the team before hiring someone to coach them.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          I remember when BC came in, and it was sort of the same question with Mitchell ... well, didn't Smitch just go out and win the COY award, making it completely backfire on BC because it was still obvious Smitch wasn't his guy.

I don't think MU would make the same mistake again. I think if he really had a better option than Casey, he would've put him in already, not build a staff around Casey. Unless, within that staff is MU's guy ... **dun dun dun**
          but wasnt that because smitch hated bargs
          Last edited by phez; Mon Oct 7, 2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

*whispers*Nick Nurse*whispers*

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Do you think Casey is getting a fair shot or is Ujiri just letting the situation and contract run its course?
              I'm answering with a question of my own, "is Casey a championship calibre HEAD coach"? I only ask because of T.L.'s quote of being here for championships. I've always thought of Casey as a transitional coach, but not a championship calibre head coach.

Comment

Fair shot. This isn't Ujiri's coach, but it wouldn't be fair per say to fire him because you don't know what he's about. I'm guessing if team isn't doing too well come trade deadline, along with certain players, I could certainly see a new coach on the sideline.

Anyways, I like how Casey is approaching this season - defense first. So, I would personally like to see how that handles, I mean, the team obviously follows his steps. Year 1, he brought defense, and Toronto was a tough minded team that DID play defense with poor defenders like Calderon and Bargnani (yikes). Year 2, Casey said offense first, assuming defense follows (usually doesn't happen if you 'think' it'll just stay the same with 9 new faces) and the team improved offensively from the previous season. This team statistically speaking follows what Casey preaches, which is a good thing to know.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

How is it not a fair Shot ? Finish your third year on the contract, get results, otherwise get fired. We'll blame last year on the GM, this year you'll have no excuse. It doesn't get more fair then that. i mean it is his 3rd year, are we suppose to wait for year 7 like.........

Comment

I don't necessarily agree with the decision but it's quite clear he's being given a fair shot. The fact that he was retained when Ujiri could have simply fired him without being answerable to anybody(BC's hire) proves he's getting a fair chance. Besides why would anyone waste precious time by letting his(Casey) contract run it's course.
                    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                      I don't necessarily agree with the decision but it's quite clear he's being given a fair shot. The fact that he was retained when Ujiri could have simply fired him without being answerable to anybody(BC's hire) proves he's getting a fair chance. Besides why would anyone waste precious time by letting his(Casey) contract run it's course.
                      I think MU knows he has the time to be patient and make informed decisions. Most GMs don't have a huge amount of goodwill built up before they play a game, but with how hard MLSE went after him, MU knows that he has more leeway to play with.

Letting Casey coach the season allows MU to evaluate the entire team (roster and staff) in a no pressure situation. This is still largely BC's roster, so if they lose, it's BC's fault. Plus MLSE doesn't have to pay 2 coaches this way.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

My internet is wonky and I can't multi-quote...

But on page one someone referenced BC and SMitch and how SMitch over achieved and BC kept him even though he wasn't the guy he wanted.

I don't think that is a possibility this for the main reason that the Eastern Conference is the strongest and most competitive it's been in awhile. Before D Rose injury the Bulls had the best regular season in the NBA in two consecutive seasons. Now they are arguably fourth in the depth chart with essentially the same team (Heat, Pacers, Nets, Bulls), you got teams that have been shitty sending the message that they are trying to compete now (Wiz, Cavs, Bucks)

For Toronto to finish 6th or higher would be quite a feat and if Casey can do that he probably deserves to stay on has Head Coach regardless of personal changes.

With this Talent level not making the playoffs would probably signal to me that Casey doesn't have that much of an impact.

Second point, someone also said that they don't see Casey as a championship calibre coach. The thing is though, almost all coaches aren't seen as championship coaches, until suddenly they are. I would say Frank Vogel, Doc Rivers, and Spolstra (If you see him a as a championship calibre coach) fit into that category.

I think Casey has the ability to put to together a championship calibre defense, which is arguably half the battle. That said, I have no problem with MLSE trying to bring in a sloan/phil jackson/Van Gundy level coach once the raps have a season where they get out of the first round.
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                          With this Talent level not making the playoffs would probably signal to me that Casey doesn't have that much of an impact.
                          I agree with this point. On paper, there's plenty of talent to finish 6-8 in the East. It's up to Casey to make it work.

Perhaps Ujiri agrees, and it partially explains why very little was done to revamp the roster this offseason. It's a "wait-and-see" approach with a dash of "this team should compete for the playoffs"

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                            I'm answering with a question of my own, "is Casey a championship calibre HEAD coach"? I only ask because of T.L.'s quote of being here for championships. I've always thought of Casey as a transitional coach, but not a championship calibre head coach.
                            He won a championship as an assistant with Dallas. His defensive schemes have been the only ones to stop the Heat in the past three playoffs. He has the defensive tools ...he needs assistance on offensive schemes.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              I agree with this point. On paper, there's plenty of talent to finish 6-8 in the East. It's up to Casey to make it work.

Perhaps Ujiri agrees, and it partially explains why very little was done to revamp the roster this offseason. It's a "wait-and-see" approach with a dash of "this team should compete for the playoffs"

First two months will determine his fate. If start 4-19 or similar he will be gone.

Comment

Bayno + Nick Nurse sound like a good offensive combo w/ Casey as the overlord

Comment

Working...
                                X