Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Year for Raps - SI Article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...sct=nba_t11_a2

Don't like that early season schedule, 6 of first 9 on the road, but maybe the team will bond together early on the road.

2 key quotes from Demar (at the end of the article)

1. "He takes a hell of a lot of pressure off me and vice versa," DeRozan said of Gay. "A lot of people get into the analytic stuff -- we don't pay no attention to that because we know how much we can help this team. As long as we play on the defensive end, we don't have to worry about scoring -- nothing, none of that -- because we can score the ball at will."

Like the sentiment, and hope they back it up in games.

"I want to be that guy who stuck through the tough times and made it when the sun came out," he said. "Once we get to winning, everything else in the past will be forgotten. It's easier to want to be somewhere else and play on a good team, but this is where I want to be and overcome all of that."

Demar and Amir are probably two of the biggest Toronto lovers in team history. That kind of positive vibe could be key for locking up Lowry, and/or Gay or bringing in a new player and adjusting them to playing in Canada.
    Last edited by Axel; Tue Oct 8, 2013, 02:13 PM.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

I wonder if the team/coaches do feel that early season pressure eluded to in the article.

They must know in the back of their minds that with Casey, Lowry and Gay basically unemployed next year, there isn't much room for a slow start.

Comment

Love DeRozan's attitude. Really want to see him do well this season.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

That article hits the nail on the head. Whether you're a Raptors fan or not, they are in for an interesting season. On that note, does anyone know how the internet works? If you're down in Texas, do you still get the same front web page for SI NBA featuring DeMar? Or is this regional coverage?

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
          That article hits the nail on the head. Whether you're a Raptors fan or not, they are in for an interesting season. On that note, does anyone know how the internet works? If you're down in Texas, do you still get the same front web page for SI NBA featuring DeMar? Or is this regional coverage?
          I'm logged in through a Minneapolis based VPN, and I see DeRozan on the front page (of the NBA section) too.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            "I want to be that guy who stuck through the tough times and made it when the sun came out," he said. "Once we get to winning, everything else in the past will be forgotten. It's easier to want to be somewhere else and play on a good team, but this is where I want to be and overcome all of that."
            What a great quote. DeMar's got a great attitude.
            Last edited by S.R.; Wed Oct 9, 2013, 12:00 AM.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I'm fairly certain that it isn't a regional thing but rather the current NBA feature article. It changes several times per day. I think SI only does regional covers for their magazine.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Last part of the article is why Demar is one of my all-time favourite Raps. Hopefully he has room to grow as a player, but what I admire is his leadership potential...reminds me of another LA kid in that regard -- Paul Pierce

Comment

I would say it's an important year for various key individuals. Rudy Gay, Derozan and Lowry all have something to prove in either living up to big deals or getting new ones. Valanciunas needs to take a big, strong step forward. Casey needs to demostrate he can both win as a head coach and generate some optimum performance outcomes for players.

Organizationally, I am not sure it's a wildly important year in the sense that there are very low expectations while they figure out what they have (as Ujiri keeps noting). If they win, then that's great. If not, then they are set-up to rebuild with Gay and Lowry likely leaving and no real massive remaining deals.

Comment

Working...
                  X