Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose - 23rd in the NBA (Video)

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what was worse bill Simmons hating on Toronto or my hating on Halifax? playing around. Heres the thing Masai Ujiri is a brilliant dude nobody knows what hes going to do lol. The trade Rudy thing I wouldnt be surprised if it happens but its on him to crash and burn cause Raptors built him up so much to be leader of the team.

"I never liked Pacers bench last season and Toronto has 2 of them playingfor them now" Lol! o Bill

2. Like gametime liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Hey, I love Jalen and don't doubt his personal experience, but double taxation from the US and Canada? I've worked overseas myself and now work with immigrants in Canada, many of them on work permits. I have never heard of double income taxes. Maybe there's some extra 3-4% in Ontario/Canada for non-resident athletes? (Louisiana actually does this.)

"While Ontario’s income tax rate is higher than the state income tax rate of any state with an NBA team, Canada’s top federal income tax rate is 29% – considerably less than the top tax bracket in the U.S., which weighs in at 35%. When federal tax rates are included, Toronto’s income tax ranks as the 13th lowest of all NBA cities." - link

"The complicating factor for pro athletes is not how much they earn — though they often make millions of dollars per year — but where they earn it. With few exceptions, athletes owe income taxes in every state where they play.

Red Sox players, for example, will take the field in 14 states and the Canadian province of Ontario this season. Eleven of those jurisdictions tax income earned within their borders. In addition, several cities where the team will play road games — Detroit, Kansas City, Philadelphia, and Cleveland — levy separate* income taxes.

Including his federal obligation and any taxes owed to his home state, a Sox player might expect to pay 17 tax bills." - Boston Globe

"The tax treaty between the United States and Canada preventing double taxation for those who cross the border for work can complicate tax planning for Canadian-based NBA, NHL and MLB players. (There are no NFL teams north of the border.)
    This is because Canada's top tax rate of 48 percent is 13 percent higher than the U.S. maximum (35 percent), and Canada taxes individuals based on their residency while the U.S. taxes people based on citizenship.
    Get a signing bonus from a Canadian team, which under the treaty is only taxed at 15 percent," he says. "Canada withholds 15 percent, you get a full credit, pay the 20 percent down here, and you're not penalized for playing for a Canadian-based team." - Yahoo Finance
    Thanks for posting this. I have researched this before, iknew I wasnt taking crazy pills hahaha

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    I dont know what was worse bill Simmons hating on Toronto or my hating on Halifax? playing around. Heres the thing Masai Ujiri is a brilliant dude nobody knows what hes going to do lol. The trade Rudy thing I wouldnt be surprised if it happens but its on him to crash and burn cause Raptors built him up so much to be leader of the team.

"I never liked Pacers bench last season and Toronto has 2 of them playingfor them now" Lol! o Bill
    MU = WARLORD hahahaha

5. Like Blacklash2k4, Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie TorontoRaptors4Eva's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Espn jalen rose, bill simmons raptors preview

I wanted to no what you guys thought about this preview video from espy with jalen and bill. To me i believe Jalen rose knows what he is talking about, but bill simmons knows nothing about toronto. The beginning of the video pisses me off the most. Let me no what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTU37EXkSH4
    Live. Breath. Sleep. Raptors

Raptors Republic Rookie TorontoRaptors4Eva's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

simmons is a idiot, on media day they said we r not going to tank
    Live. Breath. Sleep. Raptors

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post

FWIW that's the exact same thing I thought when we signed those two guys.. lol
    Twitter - @thekid_it

9. Like gametime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want your answer, backlash has beat you to asking it.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

11. Like gametime, Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it!!! So entertaining. I love T-Dot but their assessment isn't that far off. I don't have the Toronto "inferiority complex" that perhaps some fans might have. It was entertaining, and yes, I too believe that Mr. Gay will be out of town by Jan. 15th! Peace!
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

Thread really reaffirmed my love for Jalen Rose
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie The Chef's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how this could inflame the "inferiority complex". Both professed love for Toronto, and a desire for the franchise to succeed. Jalen's last two words at the end cracked me up.

The most interesting part for me was how certain they both seemed that Rudy was on the way out, and soon. I for one, would love Rondo, but am not sure who they'd have to give up/take back to make it work. I don't see why Boston does Rudy/Rondo straight up. I doubt the long-term relief (Rudy's shorter contract) on its own is enough. Thoughts?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The ranking makes some sense. I was hoping they had Toronto around 20-16 but I get their reasoning.

They really respect Masai, and think if the choice is to barely get in the playoffs or get a higher draft pick that Masai would rather get the pick. It's an educated guess. In comparison to all the cities so far they like Toronto way more. Whether the tax thing is real or not, the way that players see Toronto is that they have the choice of a great place to live with slightly higher taxes vs playing somewhere with lower taxes...That's not that bad, it means that after Miami, Texas, and a couple tax havens and party cities Toronto is an option for players. Winning consistently can only enhance the reputation of the franchise and help on the free agent front.

Funny as hell too.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe they forgot to say we live in igloos.

17. Like LBF, lilmamba_, Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

So much wrong, misleading, or just strange here.

Rudy Gay's shooting problems were because T.O. didn't have a double-team-drawing big like MEM did? He shot a lot better in TO than in MEM last season.

DeMar can shoot 3's? Maybe, but not so far.

Taxes? As demonstrated above, this is a non-issue.

Players' names? Why pronounce those right when you can butcher them?

DeRozan might average 18 PPG this year? He averaged 18.1 last year.

Rough segment.

19. Like LBF, stretch, mcHAPPY, lilmamba_, Rapstor4Life, Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l786gzc

Just wondering what everyone thought of Bill Simmons' trade? I would be all for it if it included a 2014 first round pick, but I doubt that will happen..

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't think it would be possible. But Jalen Rose is actually worse as a basketball analyst as he was a basketball player when he was playing for the Raptors.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

22. Like gametime liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post

Just wondering what everyone thought of Bill Simmons' trade? I would be all for it if it included a 2014 first round pick, but I doubt that will happen..
    I like Antetokounmpo, and Butler makes sense because of contract. I honestly think you could pique Milwaukee's interest with such a scenario. I can also see Milwaukee giving up Udoh after investing in Zaza and still having Sanders. I could also see Ridnour in play (especially if TO plans on trading Lowry as well...separately) given they have Brandon Knight, Gary Neal, and a rookie Nate Wolters slotted as PGs.

Would picks have to be included? I don't think a 2014 pick would be, given this draft. But I would try to get another one, and think you could given that they're only sending an unproven piece in Antetokounmpo back. 2016 would be intriguing since with the Knicks pick, it could give Toronto 3 1st rd picks in that year.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if JV would forgive Caron for clowning him?
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post

If the Bucks 2014 1st round pick is included. Then i would say yes because it would likely be a top 5 pick. If its not included then its a big NO.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Good video. A couple of things that piss me off:

1) The Simmons "Toronto Don't Care about Raptors, They Love Hockey" rant is old. Answer me these questions:

a) What US city that has a NFL team and a NBA team has a more popular NBA team?
    b) What US city that has a NFL team, a MLB team, and a NBA team has a more popular NBA team?

For both, I can't think of one off the top of my head. The only difference between Toronto and US cities is that hockey is not more popular down in the States - football and to a lesser extent baseball is. So enough, please.

2) The tax issues are true but they do not highlight a couple of things:

a) where the game is played is where the money is taxed. 41 home games and 41 away games.
    b) I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure the Raptors can make up the tax difference (the 3-4% Rose refers to). There is a clause somewhere I read in the past that allows the Raptors to not be at a competitive disadvantage. I could be wrong here but I don't think I am. I recall this very clear from Colangelo during a presser. Basically win/make it a place players want to be and there is no excuse.

Other than that, I enjoyed this - thanks for posting.
    The Only City I can think of is Chicago the Bulls are alot more popular than the Bears and the White sox
    #BringBackUzoh

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    So much wrong, misleading, or just strange here.

Rudy Gay's shooting problems were because T.O. didn't have a double-team-drawing big like MEM did? He shot a lot better in TO than in MEM last season.

DeMar can shoot 3's? Maybe, but not so far.

Taxes? As demonstrated above, this is a non-issue.

Players' names? Why pronounce those right when you can butcher them?

DeRozan might average 18 PPG this year? He averaged 18.1 last year.

Rough segment.
    I agree with all the above.

But it was still entertaining for me.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

28. Like JimiCliff liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information