Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose - 23rd in the NBA (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ranking makes some sense. I was hoping they had Toronto around 20-16 but I get their reasoning.

They really respect Masai, and think if the choice is to barely get in the playoffs or get a higher draft pick that Masai would rather get the pick. It's an educated guess. In comparison to all the cities so far they like Toronto way more. Whether the tax thing is real or not, the way that players see Toronto is that they have the choice of a great place to live with slightly higher taxes vs playing somewhere with lower taxes...That's not that bad, it means that after Miami, Texas, and a couple tax havens and party cities Toronto is an option for players. Winning consistently can only enhance the reputation of the franchise and help on the free agent front.

Funny as hell too.

Comment

I can't believe they forgot to say we live in igloos.

Comment

So much wrong, misleading, or just strange here.

Rudy Gay's shooting problems were because T.O. didn't have a double-team-drawing big like MEM did? He shot a lot better in TO than in MEM last season.

DeMar can shoot 3's? Maybe, but not so far.

Taxes? As demonstrated above, this is a non-issue.

Players' names? Why pronounce those right when you can butcher them?

DeRozan might average 18 PPG this year? He averaged 18.1 last year.

Rough segment.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l786gzc

Just wondering what everyone thought of Bill Simmons' trade? I would be all for it if it included a 2014 first round pick, but I doubt that will happen..

Comment

Didn't think it would be possible. But Jalen Rose is actually worse as a basketball analyst as he was a basketball player when he was playing for the Raptors.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post

Just wondering what everyone thought of Bill Simmons' trade? I would be all for it if it included a 2014 first round pick, but I doubt that will happen..
              I like Antetokounmpo, and Butler makes sense because of contract. I honestly think you could pique Milwaukee's interest with such a scenario. I can also see Milwaukee giving up Udoh after investing in Zaza and still having Sanders. I could also see Ridnour in play (especially if TO plans on trading Lowry as well...separately) given they have Brandon Knight, Gary Neal, and a rookie Nate Wolters slotted as PGs.

Would picks have to be included? I don't think a 2014 pick would be, given this draft. But I would try to get another one, and think you could given that they're only sending an unproven piece in Antetokounmpo back. 2016 would be intriguing since with the Knicks pick, it could give Toronto 3 1st rd picks in that year.

Comment

I wonder if JV would forgive Caron for clowning him?
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post

If the Bucks 2014 1st round pick is included. Then i would say yes because it would likely be a top 5 pick. If its not included then its a big NO.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Good video. A couple of things that piss me off:

1) The Simmons "Toronto Don't Care about Raptors, They Love Hockey" rant is old. Answer me these questions:

a) What US city that has a NFL team and a NBA team has a more popular NBA team?
                    b) What US city that has a NFL team, a MLB team, and a NBA team has a more popular NBA team?

For both, I can't think of one off the top of my head. The only difference between Toronto and US cities is that hockey is not more popular down in the States - football and to a lesser extent baseball is. So enough, please.

2) The tax issues are true but they do not highlight a couple of things:

a) where the game is played is where the money is taxed. 41 home games and 41 away games.
                    b) I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure the Raptors can make up the tax difference (the 3-4% Rose refers to). There is a clause somewhere I read in the past that allows the Raptors to not be at a competitive disadvantage. I could be wrong here but I don't think I am. I recall this very clear from Colangelo during a presser. Basically win/make it a place players want to be and there is no excuse.

Other than that, I enjoyed this - thanks for posting.
                    The Only City I can think of is Chicago the Bulls are alot more popular than the Bears and the White sox
                    #BringBackUzoh

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                      So much wrong, misleading, or just strange here.

Rudy Gay's shooting problems were because T.O. didn't have a double-team-drawing big like MEM did? He shot a lot better in TO than in MEM last season.

DeMar can shoot 3's? Maybe, but not so far.

Taxes? As demonstrated above, this is a non-issue.

Players' names? Why pronounce those right when you can butcher them?

DeRozan might average 18 PPG this year? He averaged 18.1 last year.

Rough segment.
                      I agree with all the above.

But it was still entertaining for me.

Comment

feet85 wrote: View Post
                        The Only City I can think of is Chicago the Bulls are alot more popular than the Bears and the White sox
                        I have no known way of quantifying this. I wish I did. Anyone else?

Don't forget about the Cubs!

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                          Oh Man.

Ok listen up. This is a fun program, its entertainment man, why the fuss. But I will bite.

Toronto, as a Team, and a management group. HAS SUCKED MASSIVELY FOR 20 YEARS.

These guys are being kind. Period.

there IS a greasy tax situation, but it can be circumvented with a good accountant, or overpayment. It IS a Hockey town.

Jalen REPEATEDLY argued that Toronto's Basketball fanbase was huge, and great. I find it interesting that Simmons has drawn so much fire here, I thought you guys were "intelligent canadian fans" Whats up? You know they write this stuff and go over the notes beforehand right? You know that Simmons is playing a part, and Jalen is playing another right? Its called entertainment. Simmons plays up the common myth, Jalen shoots it down. Simmons calls out the fans, and the Hockey myth, Jalen shoots it down. Jalen calls out the money myth, Siummons shoots that down.

On the whole, that was a fantastic bit for Toronto. Jalen was SUPER Pro Toronto, so was Simmons in his own mart ass way. What the fuck are they supposed to say about this HORRIFIC franchise???? We might have to put up with the shit here, as we are local fans, but why should they????

I think people need to settle down, enjoy it for hat it is, and try to be a bit more realistic about the team they cheer for. Our team is fucking horrible, has been, and is set to be again.

Both of these guys need notes beforehand just to find out who is on the Raptors roster - its not really their fault - there is no way anyone can keep up with all 30 teams and the Raptors haven't given anyone outside of Toronto a reason to keep up.

But this team isn't set to be horrible - much closer to being set to being somewhere between 5th & 10th depending on a lot lot of stuff that hasn't happened yet.

And Masai Ujiri - who isn't a BS machine - has said straight up that he is going to run with this group of players to see what he's got. - If I've learned anything from talking to Ujiri this summer, it's Ujiri says exactly what he's going to do.

Oh - and one of the things Ujiri did say is if this team doesn't perform, he doesn't expect either of Lowry or Gay back - if it does perform as he hopes it does - then he says he'll have a "good problem" to solve.
                          The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                            Both of these guys need notes beforehand just to find out who is on the Raptors roster - its not really their fault - there is no way anyone can keep up with all 30 teams and the Raptors haven't given anyone outside of Toronto a reason to keep up.

But this team isn't set to be horrible - much closer to being set to being somewhere between 5th & 10th depending on a lot lot of stuff that hasn't happened yet.

And Masai Ujiri - who isn't a BS machine - has said straight up that he is going to run with this group of players to see what he's got. - If I've learned anything from talking to Ujiri this summer, it's Ujiri says exactly what he's going to do.

Oh - and one of the things Ujiri did say is if this team doesn't perform, he doesn't expect either of Lowry or Gay back - if it does perform as he hopes it does - then he says he'll have a "good problem" to solve.
                            Thanks. It is always interesting to hear from someone who actually talks to the people.

With your comments from Ujiri though, he can still make a trade and say he went with what he had originally said but:
                            a) an offer to good to be true came in,
                            b) team was not performing as he had hoped/expected,
                            c) decided to go in a different direction.

If Lowry and Gay play well and they are not traded, the only team who is likely to suffer is Toronto because:
                            a) they are going to be capped out with little opportunity to improve due to no desirable assets outside their core and no financial flexibility, or
                            b) the Raptors are going to lose 2 starters and a year wasted as the rebuild gets pushed to next season after what appears to be a historically strong draft class.

Lose-lose.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              I dont know what was worse bill Simmons hating on Toronto or my hating on Halifax? playing around. Heres the thing Masai Ujiri is a brilliant dude nobody knows what hes going to do lol. The trade Rudy thing I wouldnt be surprised if it happens but its on him to crash and burn cause Raptors built him up so much to be leader of the team.

"I never liked Pacers bench last season and Toronto has 2 of them playingfor them now" Lol! o Bill
                              Cheap joke, cause Hansbrough was the one and only good part of that bench.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Wow @ the people getting upset over this. This franchise is terrible and other than a few errors that probably existed in the other previews outside of the Celtics this was an entertaining watch.

All this preview did was make me ask Why did we get Rudy Gay? To save BC's job?, that worked out well. You know who you are who supported this terrible trade.

Comment

Working...
                                X