To Compete or to Demolish: The Question that's never been answered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRex wrote: View Post
    How do you know that? because of his actions and interviews?? come on.

Btw, if the Raps 'blow up' the team or 'tank' and finish with the worst record in the league. There is NO guarantee that they're going to get the 1st overall pick.
    FoxMachine wrote: View Post
    id say that's the best indicator we have to go on.. and I don't care about the top pick.. there are a lot of great young players coming up, I care about talent that can grow with JV and cheap assets with "potential"
    And you know, the lack of any significant improvements or additions to his game since he came into the league 7 years ago. Gay's not a bad player, but he's not really an all-star, nor is he worth his contract.

TRex wrote: View Post
    Ok, let's say the Raps trade Gay and end up having a top 6-8 pick. The guys that are projected to get drafted in that area according to nbadraft.net are Robinson, Selden, Harrison, Embriid. Are any of these guys going to be better than Gay? i would say no.

As for blowing up the team to have a chance at Wiggins, lol its not gonna happen. UNLESS the Raps get off to another slow start like they did last year. Which is just not gonna happen. This team is too talented for that to happen again.

Finally, you guys realize that there are other ways to rebuild or re-tool a team other than drafting right??

One more thing, the Raps finally have an all-star caliber player in Gay. Who IMO is the best player we've had since VC. And now you all want him gone? WTF.

I say stand pat. Build the team around JV, Gay and DeRozan. Get to the playoffs. And add an IMPACT player at the free agent market in the offseason. That's how i would do it.
    As for this, this is ridiculous. Yes, you heard me, ridiculous. You're basically suggesting that the 6-8 pick in what looks like an extremely strong draft could never be better than a guy who was the 8th pick in a pretty weak draft. Gay is NOT that good a player. I would say there's a fairly decent chance to get as good or better a player. Also possible to strike out, but it's really not crazy to think any top 10 pick could be better than Gay.

I do agree that it makes no sense to rush into the tank, that it should depend on how the season progresses in the early going. But if things aren't going well, trading Gay should be the first move they make in order to "tank". There's no easy way to build a team with him around. They can't be free agent players for awhile if he sticks around. They also lack big trading chips.

I'm also ok with them keeping the team together through the season if they look headed for the playoffs. It would be good for Jonas' development, and anyone else who looks worth keeping. But I still think any team they build around Jonas probably should look quite different from the current roster. I don't think it's impossible to keep Gay around and build, but I do think he's more of an obstacle to building properly than a piece toward doing so. And I thought that since before they traded for him.

*Finally, an issue of vocabulary....I see Gay referred to as an all-star caliber player quite frequently. He is maybe an all-star caliber talent, but an all-star caliber player is one who actually makes an all-star game. And that is one of the problems with Gay....It's never good for a guy to fail to make the most of his talent...and extra bad if/when such a player is supposed to be the best on the team.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Oct 10, 2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      Decimate? Obliterate? Annihilate?
      Why yes Axel, these all work quite nicely, lets do these... hahah

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        Decimate? Obliterate? Annihilate?
        I vote for decimate. I picture a fuckin nuke going off when I hear it.
        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
        X