Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI's Best-Case, Worst-Case Scenarios - Raptors

TORONTO RAPTORS

Best-case: Jonas Valanciunas enjoys such a fantastic breakout season that Drake and Adam Silver present him with the Most Improved Player award in the spring. The Lithuanian center’s play is so singularly promising that no one bothers to get upset when new GM Masai Ujiri dumps Rudy Gay and/or DeMar DeRozan and/or Landry Fields and/or Kyle Lowry in a fire sale to shed salary and accumulate assets.

Worst-case: The Raptors flirt with a playoff run long enough that Ujiri opts to stay put at the deadline, only to fall back into the late-lottery down the stretch, leaving the team without its first postseason appearance since 2008 or a top lottery pick. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets arrested trying to smuggle drugs through an airport while wearing the team’s dinosaur mascot costume.

You’ll never believe this, but Toronto once again finds itself in no man’s land — not good enough to make the playoffs for sure, but not bad enough to land a top draft pick — without a clear-cut core and without a roster that’s efficient in its allocation of resources. That means there’s plenty of work to do, and that’s a good thing, because Ujiri is a proactive, talented executive with the proven ability to execute a big-picture vision.

~~~
    Perhaps the US media doesn't take these predictions as serious as most Raps fan do (a cursory glance showed much more serious assessments for other teams).

It seems that the author is more on the tank bandwagon than the playoffs bandwagon that has been so hotly (and overly) debated all summer long.

Nice to see props to MU.

I actually hope the Rob Ford thing happens, cause that would be epic.

~~~
    To be honest, a late lottery pick this year is still a good pick, so if that is the worst-case scenario then we would still get a pretty good player. Not a great franchise altering talent, but players like Glen Robinson and Wayne Seldon are predicted to be there at the end of the lottery. Perhaps a late lottery pick is a great trade bait; move down and get a future 1st while still drafting a good player.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

At this point, I'm numb to the idea of tanking/rebuilding.

I know it's the best approach to turn this franchise around, but until Ujiri actually points his ship in that direction, I'm hoping for more wins than losses. I'm going back to short-term thinking so that I can actually cheer when shots go in.

When/if Ujiji decides to blow it up, Buckys and Acy need to be in our starting lineup.

Comment

Nothing really groundbreaking here.

Most previews I've read this Fall seem to harp on the same points:
      they all assume that the tear down is inevitable unless the Raptors come out as world beaters.
      they all give Ujiri massive props.
      they all are high on JV and think he's poised to breakout this season.

At this point, there's no real secrets. It's all a matter of waiting for it to play itself out one way or the other.

Comment

i think SI's pretty spot on here, actually. tho i'd put Ford getting arrested in the best case scenario.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          At this point, I'm numb to the idea of tanking/rebuilding.

I know it's the best approach to turn this franchise around, but until Ujiri actually points his ship in that direction, I'm hoping for more wins than losses. I'm going back to short-term thinking so that I can actually cheer when shots go in.

When/if Ujiji decides to blow it up, Buckys and Acy need to be in our starting lineup.
          My thoughts exactly. I want something to get hyped about, even if it is just a 7th place finish with Demar and Gay showcasing sick dunks all year.
          And if they get off to a terrible start again, Ujiri will know what to do

Comment

this season is all about wait and see and the big Lithuanian JV
            ya dun noe

Comment

Man how many damn threads are you guys gonna make about tanking? Christ sake.

Comment

It's actually about an article from a well respected media source (ie not Doug Smith or Skip Bayless) and their perception of this teams ceiling/floor.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'm actually excited to see what this lineup can do. Who else thinks this team is playoff bound this year?
                  in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                    I'm actually excited to see what this lineup can do. Who else thinks this team is playoff bound this year?
                    I do
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                      A lot has to go well, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Comment

If Toronto is depending upon JV to lead them to success, than I am afraid everyone (but me) is in for a long and sad season.

Comment

Sheridan Hoops breaks down Toronto's playoff chances:

TORONTO RAPTORS: The starting five is Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, Rudy Gay, Amir Johnson and Jonas Valanciunas, who might end up winning Most Improved Player. It’s a solid unit that can score, even if it can’t shoot very well. But the group also has a combined 31 playoff games and has a bunch of “my-turn” guys.

The bench is D.J. Augustin, Terrence Ross, Steve Novak, Landry Fields, Tyler Hansbrough and Aaron Gray, devoid of offense (other than Novak’s shooting) and athleticism (other than Ross). And coach Dwane Casey is on a one-year contract, which makes it hard to hold the players accountable.

I know there’s some talk north of the border that the Raptors could sneak into the postseason. I don’t see how. From a starters-to-bench standpoint, they look an awful lot like last season’s Portland Trail Blazers.

VERDICT: Out. And Casey will be out of a job, too.
                          http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/10...onference-2/2/

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Sheridan Hoops breaks down Toronto's playoff chances:

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/10...onference-2/2/
                            The comparison to Portland I don't get unless they are going to be a fringe playoff team who craps the bed the last 20 games of the season.

As for the offense, "bunch of 'my turn' guys", commment - I 100% agree from what I've seen so far.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              The comparison to Portland I don't get unless they are going to be a fringe playoff team who craps the bed the last 20 games of the season.

As for the offense, "bunch of 'my turn' guys", commment - I 100% agree from what I've seen so far.
                              It's early, but you're right about the offense. Doesn't look much different than the predictable sets from a year ago (so far....).

Comment

Working...
                              X