Thread: Todays Feel-Good Read: Carlos Morais

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Todays Feel-Good Read: Carlos Morais

Ujiri said that regardless of whether Morais makes the team, a precedent has been set. An Angolan player has walked the NBA hardwood.

ďKids from that country can aspire to the NBA,Ē he said. ďThey say Ďif Carlos can get an invite, if I work hard, if Iím talented, maybe there is somebody watching me.íĒ

Morais said he tries not to think about what happens if he fails to make the team but he also recognizes that he has already won his battle. He has played in the NBA. He can pursue the rest of his career, wherever that takes him, in peace.

ďThis has been a blessing for me, just for the fact that Iím here with all these great players in this great organization,Ē he said. ďIf this doesnít work out, Iíll still able to teach someone else what I learned here.Ē

ďIf Iím cut, maybe the dream will be over but at the end of the day, I really wonít have lost anything.Ē

http://blog.raptors.com/raptor-hopef...s-already-won/
    I don't think he is making the roster.

Best of luck to him.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This basically answers the debate on why we signed him. Masai does want to give African basketball players a chance to see the NBA, it wasn't necessarily a move to improve the organization.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of whether he makes the team or not, I'm happy for him even if he is gonna be really bad in the NBA. His dream to play a game in the NBA has finally come true! Seems like a good character guy! Best of luck to him!

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy for the guy hopefully he gets a shot somewhere. Best of luck I mean Alan Anderson made it.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Morais will have a big impact on FIBA ball after his trip to the NBA. All of the other FIBA players will want an opportunity to try out NBA hardwood. Great move by Masai to encourage FIBA development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    This basically answers the debate on why we signed him. Masai does want to give African basketball players a chance to see the NBA, it wasn't necessarily a move to improve the organization.
    Sometimes you can do a thing for more than one reason. Just because he wants to expand African Basketball does not mean Morais is untalented. Also I don't really have a problem using our 15th man to give an entire generation of kids hope.

7. Like Nilanka, lilmamba_, Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Sometimes you can do a thing for more than one reason. Just because he wants to expand African Basketball does not mean Morais is untalented. Also I don't really have a problem using our 15th man to give an entire generation of kids hope.
    You probably missed the debate (I forget who it was with), about the signing of Morais, but I was actually banking on him making this team and he is considered to be the most talented player playing African-pro ball. My expectations for him were too high, but Masai basically confirmed that he didn't bring him over to necessarily improve the organization.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    ...Masai basically confirmed that he didn't bring him over to necessarily improve the organization.
    He also confirmed, to all African basketball players, that the Raptors are willing to give a talented player a shot. Masai already has connections throughout African basketball. He just strengthened and deepened those connections well beyond any other NBA team. could payoff in the longer run.

Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Respect.
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

awwn poor guy
    based on what he said he seems like a good man
    best of luck, Morais
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Post Thanks / Like

Might not have seen the last of Morais. The training camp process could be invaluable to further invites and we weren't really set up to see what he could give us with DeMar, Rudy, Fields, Ross etc needing minutes.

ALSO

He still could make the team based on what he is showing in practice (that we don't see). Although Wright and Stone fill obvious needs and Daye and Novak have 3pt shooting more or less covered.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=thead;236767...Daye and Novak have 3pt shooting more or less covered.[/QUOTE]

If you can get 3 pt shooting with tenacious defense, (assuming Morais has it) so much the better.

14. Like thead liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

So it's now between Chris Wright and Julyan Stone, I say it's gonna be Julyan Stone as a third string SG.

16. Like drunkmunky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stone will be our 15th man, it's pretty much guaranteed.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

My money's on not keeping any of them, leaving the roster spot open so that we've got more flexibility for potential trades later.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tkfu wrote: View Post
    My money's on not keeping any of them, leaving the roster spot open so that we've got more flexibility for potential trades later.
    With the amount of money any of these guys are going to make it'll be very easy to include them in any trade, if it becomes necessary. If they don't have to be flipped it gives you a little bit of injury protection in the sense that the player will know the system, whereas if you sign a guy to a ten day there's a learning curve. Also gives you a chance to develop a player, who has a (very small) chance of being an impact player (7-10 off the bench). Keeping a guy is low risk low reward, but that's still better than no risk no reward.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont like the idea of signing a guy just because its a feel good move. Th Raptors are not UM's little toy to play around with, no matter how noble his reasons for doing so.

If he wasnt gonna stick, it was a waste of a chance to scout and try out a guy that might have.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a pretty scroogie way to assess this choice to attend camp. We dont really know the contextual question which prompted MU's response. Morais was after all the mvp of the recent FIBA African tournament and has been the captain of his team so it's not like he is here now because of pure altruism. Was there someone else who might have been a better invitee...we dont know.

22. Like Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tkfu wrote: View Post
    I believe he is an unguaranteed contract.

He would be eligible to be waived until January 10 (or somewhere around there) without him being guaranteed for rest of year.

If Raptors need a roster space between now and then, he is easily removed from roster.

Same goes for WRight.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Thats a pretty scroogie way to assess this choice to attend camp. We dont really know the contextual question which prompted MU's response. Morais was after all the mvp of the recent FIBA African tournament and has been the captain of his team so it's not like he is here now because of pure altruism. Was there someone else who might have been a better invitee...we dont know.
    Oh yeah, I was was totally Scroogie when I posted that hahaha it happens.

Thread Information