Post Thanks / Like

Default Twin Tower Dream Collapsed Thanks to BC

Now flash backward to 2012 NBA Draft

At No8, the Toronto Raptors selected Terrence Ross
    At No9, the Detroit Pistons selected Andre Drummond
    At No14, the Milwaukee Bucks selected John Henson
    At No19, the Orlando Magic selected Andrew Nicholson
    At No21, the Boston Celtics selected Jared Sullinger

Bryan Colangelo screwed up with this franchise by getting Ross who shouldn't be selected that high at No8, Ross is more of a 15-20 drafted player but instead we got him at No8 and the rest is history. The only game Ross played well last year was against the Houston Rockets. Ross will never shine when we have DeRozan and even if we traded DeMar, Ross at the best gonna be a poor man Tony Allen. I mean look at Drummond in his offseason, Henson, Nicholson, even Sullinger, all these players would contribute big minutes for the Raptors and each and every one of them would look good next to Valanciunas. That's all I'm gonna put it.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    Now flash backward to 2012 NBA Draft

At No8, the Toronto Raptors selected Terrence Ross
    At No9, the Detroit Pistons selected Andre Drummond
    At No14, the Milwaukee Bucks selected John Henson
    At No19, the Orlando Magic selected Andrew Nicholson
    At No21, the Boston Celtics selected Jared Sullinger

Bryan Colangelo screwed up with this franchise by getting Ross who shouldn't be selected that high at No8, Ross is more of a 15-20 drafted player but instead we got him at No8 and the rest is history. The only game Ross played well last year was against the Houston Rockets. Ross will never shine when we have DeRozan and even if we traded DeMar, Ross at the best gonna be a poor man Tony Allen. I mean look at Drummond in his offseason, Henson, Nicholson, even Sullinger, all these players would contribute big minutes for the Raptors and each and every one of them would look good next to Valanciunas. That's all I'm gonna put it.
    Fascinating.
    #FREE

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

People have really gott aget over this. They thought Ross was a safe pick, they were wrong. It is in a lot of ways unrelated to Drummond, who 7 other teams also felt was too risky to draft...including Cleveland who passed on JV one year and Drummond the next in favour of Thompson and Waiters (both good players, but I don't think either will have the impact of a top tier C).

Clearly there were pretty common concerns about both his body and motor. And many of those other teams did not have a young prospect like Jonas. I'm sure teams like Charlotte, Cleveland, and Sacto at least would all like a re-do on that draft. And I'm sure even some of the teams that made decent picks would reconsider...like Washington and GSW, who both drafted solid wings, but in hindsight do either of Beal or Barnes look like they can have the impact of a guy with Drummond's potential? I think not.

On the other guys:
    -Henson is a PF, which we all know would only get drafted by default (ŗ la Ed Davis) while BC was here because he wanted Bargs to turn into something
    -Nicholson has hardly proven to be such a high calibre of player to get your panties in a twist about
    -Sullinger had MAJOR injury concerns regarding his back, which he has still not shaken off in Boston. If he didn't, he likely would have been a top 5 pick and the Raps probably wouldn't have had a shot at him anyway.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Oct 13th, 2013 at 05:00 PM.

4. Like Axel, Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Only Henson I would take instead of Ross in that year.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

colangelo sucks at drafts ...

i also heard the sky is blue, true story

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't want to have to do this. But..

This is what it's come to from all this BC whining
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

8. Like KazanTheMan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post

Did you have to go there? Justin Timberlake? Ease up man.

10. Like LBF, Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Ryan_1523's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah dude.. Chill. Too far.

12. Like LBF liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought this thread is about Chris Bosh and Jermaine O'neal

They're supposed to be the next Duncan and Robinson.....according to Bosh.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

VIDEO HAS BEEN CENSORED

Don't tempt me anymore than you already do LBF ... I might expect Timberlake from lilmamba, but not from you.
    That's crossing the line.

PS For the future, Joe Cocker has a perfectly respectable song called "Cry Me a River".. perhaps you may consider posting that next time ... instead of ... Timberlake.
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Oct 14th, 2013 at 01:36 AM.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

15. Like isaacthompson, LBF liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

People can bitch ll they like when people post about Drummond, but they can kiss my arse.... that was the single most, ridiculous, stupid ass non-move ever.

I still remember dancing around at the draft party when Drummond miraculously fell to Toronto in the draft.... I was head over heels...for about 5 mins, then...... Terrence Ross.

What a fucking gaff. Just.....JUST......

Horrifying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Don't tempt me anymore than you already do LBF ... I might expect Timberlake from lilmamba, but not from you.
    That's crossing the line.

PS For the future, Joe Cocker has a perfectly respectable song called "Cry Me a River".. perhaps you may consider posting that next time ... instead of ... Timberlake.
    Joe Cocker is not going to get my point across good enough. Had to be timberlake..had to do it. Harsh, I will admit.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

18. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He also played good last year in a game against Portland...
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    He also played good last year in a game against Portland...
    Who, Drummond or Justin Timberlake?

21. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    People have really gott aget over this. They thought Ross was a safe pick, they were wrong. It is in a lot of ways unrelated to Drummond, who 7 other teams also felt was too risky to draft...including Cleveland who passed on JV one year and Drummond the next in favour of Thompson and Waiters (both good players, but I don't think either will have the impact of a top tier C).

Clearly there were pretty common concerns about both his body and motor. And many of those other teams did not have a young prospect like Jonas. I'm sure teams like Charlotte, Cleveland, and Sacto at least would all like a re-do on that draft. And I'm sure even some of the teams that made decent picks would reconsider...like Washington and GSW, who both drafted solid wings, but in hindsight do either of Beal or Barnes look like they can have the impact of a guy with Drummond's potential? I think not.

On the other guys:
    -Henson is a PF, which we all know would only get drafted by default (ŗ la Ed Davis) while BC was here because he wanted Bargs to turn into something
    -Nicholson has hardly proven to be such a high calibre of player to get your panties in a twist about
    -Sullinger had MAJOR injury concerns regarding his back, which he has still not shaken off in Boston. If he didn't, he likely would have been a top 5 pick and the Raps probably wouldn't have had a shot at him anyway.
    Both Tristan and Waiters start for a team with the same playoff aspirations (but with a much better chance imho) as the Raptors.

Ross isn't pushing Derozan for minutes at this point and looks like a 7-8 rotational guy right now. This could change but the argument concerning your GM being able to recognize talent and build a team with it is significant. Even J.Lamb who went after Ross and is a 2 as well, is going to have a big role this year coming off the bench for OKC. Ross still doesn't seem to know where or how he should fit on the 2nd unit.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post

On the other guys:
    To the bolded - this was the crux of the issue. BC was simply not going to draft another big no matter where the team drafted/who was available. I personally think this was just as much Bargnani related as Jonas (if not even more so). He also wanted a player that could contribute immediately (his contract was coming due). Inevitably he made the classic draft day mistake - drafting for need instead of the BPA.

The irony ofcourse is that had he done the opposite he may have 1) saved his job 2) had an ideal fit beside Bargnani in Drummond (as ideal as you can get with Bargnani ofcourse)

As to Drummond, yes there are numerous teams that probably would prefer to have him, even if they are content with their selection. However, I think its also worth noting that going into the draft there were 6 players that stood out as the consensus 6 (in no specific order): Davis, MKG, Barnes, Robinson, Beal, Drummond + Lilliard making alot of noise leading up to draft day. Its not like the teams that passed on Drummond for those guys took the same level of risk vs reward Colangelo did. They replaced the opportunity to take Drummond with another one of those other highly coveted picks. Cleveland did Toronto a huge favor (again) reaching for a player in Waiters and leaving a 'Tier 1' opportunity for Toronto. What Colangelo did was replace a Tier 1 opportunity with a lower one.

While Drummond should have gone much higher, the risk vs reward those others teams took in their selection was not nearly as bad as Colangelo's.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who, Drummond or Justin Timberlake?
    JT always performs. Maybe we should have drafted him instead. Then we could combine JV and JT and have "The Big J's"

25. Like LBF liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    I thought this thread is about Chris Bosh and Jermaine O'neal

They're supposed to be the next Duncan and Robinson.....according to Bosh.
    Before that, it was supposed to be Bosh and Villenueva :|
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Before that, it was supposed to be Bosh and Villenueva :|
    And before that it was Lonny Baxter and Robert Archibald...
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    And before that it was Lonny Baxter and Robert Archibald...
    I believe they were the "Banger Brothers"
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information