Toronto Raptors All-Time Fan-Favourites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Raptors All-Time Fan-Favourites

The Fan-Favourite... a long time staple in all sports; and especially so with the Toronto Raptors.
    Very rarely are they the most polarizing figure on the team... or the lead scorer... or the lead anything really ... but they always hold the largest space in the Fans hearts, almost solely due to their own heart, hustle and dedication to the team.

My All-Time Top 5 FFs would be:
    1) JYD - I vividly remember the entire ACC chanting JYD on a few different occasions.

2) Mo Pete - Toronto Raptor for Life. I remember his first game back in Toronto, he went to Center court and kissed the logo ... Grade-A individual.

3) Alvin Williams - Enough said.

4) Amir Johnson - Not sure there has ever been anyone who's done for more for the city and the fans.

5) Tyler Hansbrough - This one is a prediction. But I can envision chants of "PHY-CHO T" just like the days of "J-Y-D"

Who comes to mind when you think Toronto Raptors Fan-Favourites?
    Is Toronto unique in its appreciation of the under-appreciated?

Good list.

I thought Mugsy was loved by all in his limited time here. How can one NOT gravitate towards a player who defied such great odds?

Comment

I'm going to have to go with Alvin because he wanted to continue representing the organization even after his career ended.

Comment

Matt Bonner had a bit of a cult following too after his infamous foul on Garnett. Marrying a Torontonian was icing on the cake.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Good list.

I thought Mugsy was loved by all in his limited time here. How can one NOT gravitate towards a player who defied such great odds?
          Completely agree. Arguments could be made for Mugsy, AP, Jose, Oakley, Garbojosa etc too all be on that list.

Comment

Matt Bonner had a bit of a cult following too after his infamous foul on Garnett. Marrying a Torontonian was icing on the cake.
            Oh my goodness! How did I miss Bonner!? Geez ... he should definitely be on the Top-5 actually ... ugh. Lol

Comment

No love for Andrea Bargnani?
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

hmmmm...wonder what started this thread idea

Top 5 for me:
                Mo Pete - Mr. Raptor
                JYD - epic hustle and still ambassador to the team
                Bonner - The Red Rocket was so damn polite and unassuming, he might as well be the stereotypical Canadian.
                Amir - should climb up a spot or two over the next 2 seasons
                Garbo - his legendary status is heightened by his mystery. How well could the team have done if Garbo was healthy?

Honourable mentions go to:
                Anthony Parker - super pro, super nice. Wish we kept him longer
                Alvin Williams - 2nd to Mo Pete in Mr. Raptor rankings
                Mugsey Bogues - great personality and story, still involved with the team
                Jose Calderon - regardless of the "trade Jose" movement, he will be well remembered in Raps history (kinda sad..)
                Pops Mensah-Bonsu - a one hit wonder type of thing
                Oakley - like the cranky uncle, kids (aka all of us) eat it up
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Pops is a good one too actually. He was such a flash in the pan, but what a mighty flash he was.

Comment

One of my personal favourites was Dell Curry. The man was touched by the God of 3 point shooting.

Comment

1. Mo-Pete - the closest thing to 'Mr. Raptor' or Raptor-for-life

2. JYD - he played basketball the way a hockey player would... ideal for Toronto fans

3. Mighty Mouse - the original hype for this franchise (I never felt the same type of anger towards him that I did for VC/CB/TM - which is still way less than most fans)

4. Amir - JYD for a new generation of fans, who also reps the city big time and seems genuine in everything he does

5. AP - wouldn't be a Raptors list without some Euro content; similar to JYD-->Amir, he took over the Mo-Pete role of being the quiet, steady, hardworking glue guy (a role I still think a healthy Fields could play, but that's besides the point)

Honourable Mentions

- Alvin - I always thought he was a decent enough player who was too injury prone, and have never understood the post-retirement cult status he's attained, but Toronto sure loves those blue-collar, hockey-style glue guys!

- Garbo - wasn't here long enough to break the top-5, but he was essentially a veteran, Euro version of Amir (I still remember the game against NJ when many fans wore their VC jerseys, with "Garbajosa" printed in black sharpie on white tape placed over "Carter" on the backs of those #15 jerseys)

- Oakley - wasn't here long enough either and was towards the end of his playing days, but definitely made a lasting impression and set the bar for what was expected of a Raptor big

- Keon Clark - if it weren't for his rampant alcoholism and a short-sighted trade for a washed-up, injured 'Dream', I think Clark would've eventually made this all-time top-5 list

- Christie - yet another glue guy, who was asked to do way more than he ever should have been asked to do, stuck playing during the truly dark days of the Toronto Raptors, but brought it every game
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Looks like great times, sad that I wasn't able to witness it.
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Bonner brings a little NHL to the ACC:

"BONNER! BONNER! BONNER!" ... Amazing.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post

Looks like great times, sad that I wasn't able to witness it.
                            Ahhh Man. Great days. Coming around again soon.

Comment

And proof Raptors Fans don't boo everyone that comes back to the city:

Comment

Working...
                              X