Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"A lot of people get into the analytic stuff — we don’t pay no attention to that..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But for Demar to say he 'doesn't pay attention to analytics', doesn't mean that he doesn't acknowledge the fact that he needs to be a more efficient player. I think people are inferring far too much from this.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      But for Demar to say he 'doesn't pay attention to analytics', doesn't mean that he doesn't acknowledge the fact that he needs to be a more efficient player. I think people are inferring far too much from this.
      I think this whole thread is much ado about nothing.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          lol - aren't they all?

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
            Sorry but if you don't have that trait, you're not going to be successful in the NBA (or in anything really, at a high level). Confidence is key.
            I think he is referring to extreme over-confidence, also known as 'hubris', which is actually a negative, self-defeating trait. Although, I don't feel like Demar is anywhere near that mindset.

"Hubris /ˈhjuːbrɪs/, also hybris, from ancient Greek ὕβρις, means extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence, accomplishments or capabilities."

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
              Sorry but if you don't have that trait, you're not going to be successful in the NBA (or in anything really, at a high level). Confidence is key.
              There's a difference between confidence, and arrogance.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Geezus... seriously? Lol

Comment

Geezus... seriously? Lol
                  “We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.”

- Robert Wilensky

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                    Yes, but then you have to worry about the Dunning-Kruger effect, which is the result of a famous scientific paper called "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments". It is described as follows:

That's exactly what's in play for Derozan, whose shooting percentages put the lie to his grandiose claim to be able to "score the ball at will". There needs to be some new metacognitive flaw discovered to explain Arencibia.
                    You seem to be suffering from this superiority complex as well, must be a bug going around, changing of the seasons and such.

Huge Demar and Arencibia fan, both incredibly hardworking guys, I agree with others who're saying when you're at the highest level you need a mental push to some extent (meaning confidence is also a necessity). Do you personally feel they're incompetent in some way? Because that's ridiculous. I remember Arencibia's first game in the MLB, 2 HR, 5 RBI as I recall.. You really can't put a higher ceiling than that, you can't go anywhere but down honestly. I remember last offseason him talking about all the work he was putting in and his expectations of himself, and when you completely fail that you're going to get defensive. That's basic human nature, it doesn't mean he has some sort of psychological disorder.

I've played catcher and my knees have the damage to prove it. Idc what you're saying, it is extremely difficult. Your wheels are constantly turning. It's mentally and physically taxing more than any other fielding position, and you do essentially effect the game's outcome and carry the burden when you lose. Guys writing stories don't take that into account, it's completely bs.. No one can defend the year he had, but I don't think it's about ability.. He's trying to do too much, he wants to be a .300 guy and has said he thinks he has the ability to be one, but he doesn't, it's something the sooner he accepts the sooner he'll be able to focus on certain aspects like defense and hitting home runs.

He's a good dude despite how he's being portrayed.. I want them both to succeed because I see how good they could be (huge difference between unskilled and unproven), maybe that's my mistake, but it sure as hell beats bitterness and it leaves me happy at the end of the day

Comment

Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
                      You seem to be suffering from this superiority complex as well, must be a bug going around, changing of the seasons and such.

Huge Demar and Arencibia fan, both incredibly hardworking guys, I agree with others who're saying when you're at the highest level you need a mental push to some extent (meaning confidence is also a necessity). Do you personally feel they're incompetent in some way? Because that's ridiculous. I remember Arencibia's first game in the MLB, 2 HR, 5 RBI as I recall.. You really can't put a higher ceiling than that, you can't go anywhere but down honestly. I remember last offseason him talking about all the work he was putting in and his expectations of himself, and when you completely fail that you're going to get defensive. That's basic human nature, it doesn't mean he has some sort of psychological disorder.

I've played catcher and my knees have the damage to prove it. Idc what you're saying, it is extremely difficult. Your wheels are constantly turning. It's mentally and physically taxing more than any other fielding position, and you do essentially effect the game's outcome and carry the burden when you lose. Guys writing stories don't take that into account, it's completely bs.. No one can defend the year he had, but I don't think it's about ability.. He's trying to do too much, he wants to be a .300 guy and has said he thinks he has the ability to be one, but he doesn't, it's something the sooner he accepts the sooner he'll be able to focus on certain aspects like defense and hitting home runs.

He's a good dude despite how he's being portrayed.. I want them both to succeed because I see how good they could be (huge difference between unskilled and unproven), maybe that's my mistake, but it sure as hell beats bitterness and it leaves me happy at the end of the day
                      A little off topic, but I see the point you are making. Lol

Comment

I didn't get that from those quotes at all... I simply got the impression that this team doesn't care about the critics, and will fight and claw and do everything they know they can do to win.
                        Yeah, well, my money is on you getting it loud and clear when you start watching him play again this year. I still don't think DeMar gets it. No team is going anywhere with him at the starting SG spot when he's playing the way he plays. His priorities are all messed up. He'd rather ignore what he is and try to fit the mold of a marksman; square block, round hole.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Yeah, well, my money is on you getting it loud and clear when you start watching him play again this year. I still don't think DeMar gets it. No team is going anywhere with him at the starting SG spot when he's playing the way he plays. His priorities are all messed up. He'd rather ignore what he is and try to fit the mold of a marksman; square block, round hole.
                          My money is on you getting it loud and clear when you start watching him play this year. The past is the past. He's certainly matured and is a better player this year then he was in the past years.

To be honest, I don't think you know what your talking about. I think if Demar plays the way he's capable of playing (posting up other SGs, getting to the rim, getting to the free throw line, scoring in transition, improve upon his good mid-range game) that he can definitely contribute to a winning team.

Hey Mr. know it all - Your priorities as a fan should be to cheer on your team and not shit on our best players. Maybe you should get your priorities straight!

Comment

"Hey Mr. know it all - (you've only been a member for four years and are currently an Administrator, so you have seen and heard it all) Your priorities as a fan should be to cheer on your team (even when they don't deserve it) and not shit on our best players (even when they aren't playing well and ignore evidence of their own inefficiency). Maybe you should get your priorities straight! (which roughly translated means ignore the evidence of your eyes and the box score and simply like the players that try hard) "

Don't get me wrong. I like DeMar. I like that he tries and I like that he has improved, at least marginally, each year. But don't shoot the messenger when he delivers news you don't like.

Comment

Man, things get personal fast around here.

I agree with special1, this pre-season DeRozan has shown almost every indication that he get it.
                              No?

I've actually been really down on DeRozan in the past.
                              Like 'why is anyone expecting good things from a player who has more weaknesses than strengths?'
                              And I carried those sentiments right into the preseason with me.

But he looks different.
                              He does.

I understand your hesitance, but I think a little optimism when it comes to DeRozan is warranted at this point.

Comment

Shrub wrote: View Post
                                Man, things get personal fast around here.

I agree with special1, this pre-season DeRozan has shown almost every indication that he get it.
                                No?

I've actually been really down on DeRozan in the past.
                                Like 'why is anyone expecting good things from a player who has more weaknesses than strengths?'
                                And I carried those sentiments right into the preseason with me.

But he looks different.
                                He does.

I understand your hesitance, but I think a little optimism when it comes to DeRozan is warranted at this point.
                                I've thought that every year since his rookie season to be honest, I also thought Bargnani was really going to turn the corner last year too, and that Chris Bosh would resign, and that Turkoglu would push us over the top, and that Jermaine O'Neal would solidify our back court and make us legitimate contenders, etc etc. My point? Um.. #Raptorsfan4lyfe
                                Last edited by Ryan_1523; Fri Oct 18, 2013, 05:11 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X