ESPN says Chris Bosh is better than Kobe Bryant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Now that's not fair. Jordan came out of retirement to help his investment at the time. It was a horrible team. You put LeBron on that team and he would have struggled to get those guys going. Kwame Brown was the center piece for crying out loud. Jordan made him cry, literally.
    Kwame wasn't the centerpiece, he was a backup.

Not sure what's unfair tbh, Wizards' Jordan wasn't very good. Wizards weren't bad purely because of Jordan and the Lakers won't be bad purely because of Kobe, they just don't have a good team around Kobe.

Whether Kobe will be similar to that Jordan or not, we'll see. We can only guess right now. Who knows, maybe Kobe is among the huge Achilles success stories. I'd bet not, and I expect Bosh to be a better overall player than Kobe this year. I think there's a lot of Kobe mysticism going on; Bird has that aura too, and Achilles still screwed him up. Achilles injuries tend to push a player down a tier. But, there have been a few very positive examples, so who knows.

Comment

I think the ranking of Bean is actually an interesting subject, injury or not.
      Let's operate under the assumption that he comes back at the same level (which I find somewhat unlikely, though I think he will find a way to be similarly effective by altering his game), and that your aim is to choose a player as your franchise's center-piece for only one year, with no future considerations.
      Is he top 10?

I find the case of Kobe compelling because it forces a person to consider all the intangibles of basketball.
      Should a top 10 player, in this context, struggle so much to get their team into the playoffs?
      The same question applies to every other player, of course.
      I wonder how often individual stats and personal performance overshadow the inability to make a team better.

I happen to really like Kobe Bryant, but he would certainly not be in my top 5, and probably not my top 10.

If I'm a GM on "re-draft of the entire NBA for one season" night, about to spend millions, with a city on my shoulders, I think I would decide that he is not the player I want anchoring my team.

Comment

Working...
      X