Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Gay the vocal leader the Raptors have been desperately lacking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Gay the vocal leader the Raptors have been desperately lacking?

This past summer, Gay realized the Raptors were lacking that kind of vocal guy on the court and decided to take on that role with the team this season.

This new-found vocal leadership was on display in a game against the Minnesota Timberwolves when Gay barked out instructions to DeMar DeRozan to make a back cut, which resulted in a nasty dunk.

Then, a couple possessions later, Gay pulled Jonas Valanciunas aside during a break in play to show him what would have been more effective on his drive on the baseline.

Throw into the mix that Gay had spirited decisions with teammates during teammates, and it's become clear he has decided to fill the void with this team when it comes to being a vocal leader on the court.

This kind of vocal leadership might not seem like a big deal, but on a team that has been sorely needing it, it has been a welcome sight and addition.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rudy-ga...0706--nba.html
    What do you think?

well ya I believe it and why not Gay? its certainly not who it should be in Kyle Lowry, hes too much of an asshole.

Comment

Yea, Gay seems like the only one qualified to be a leader. He's got the right amount of experience/age. Dunno who else it would be haha.
      "Masai WILL win us a championship"
      - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

Aaron Gray lol

Comment

That's good. Raps never had a vocal leader since Charles Oakley.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Actions speak louder than words so if Rudy puts up numbers on offense and locks down on defence, that would qualify as leadership in my books.

Comment

I am sure some on-court shouting will suddenly make all the difference and turn Rudy into an efficient shooter

shouting, that's the ticket

Comment

gay has said in multiple interviews that he is NOT a vocal leader and he prefers to lead by example.. which is scary because he doesn't exactly set a good example with some of his on court decisions.. I think we need a different vocal leader on the court to let gay know what might work better when he takes contested fade away 2's after dribbling on the spot for the entire shot clock or taking long 3's early in the shot clock

Comment

I like it. This team desperately needs a vocal leader.. we lack a solid veteran presence, so if Rudy wants to step into that sort of role, I'm all for it.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

To those that can only come up with the usual cynicism and sarcasm, along many roads in life, given a leadership role often results in a person seeing themselves in a different light as well, as in opening the eyes. As long as he's not a jackass to teammates, nothing but good can come of it.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                      ...along many roads in life, given a leadership role often results in a person seeing themselves in a different light as well, as in opening the eyes....
                      Excellent point. Hope it works out like that.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        Excellent point. Hope it works out like that.
                        Us humans are often unpredictable, but so do I. I've seen that affect both in business and sport, so here's hoping such results for Rudy.

Comment

Ideally, I would want the "vocal leader" to be someone who's been through it all (long playoff runs, ups and downs of rebuilding vs. contending, coaching changes, etc.). Someone who has credibility. Someone who makes good decisions more often than not. Someone who's basically a coach on the floor. Rudy Gay isn't the 1st person who comes to mind in that regard.

I'm not sure if anyone on the roster meets my criteria. Amir maybe, but I don't think he has the combative personality that's sometimes required.

Comment

Lowry has become the most vocal on the team.

Valanciunas is still absolutely silent when he's playing defence, which could become a problem and hopefully he is more vocal as his english continues to improve.

Comment

Working...
                            X