Toronto - Minny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto - Minny

Was just watching the Simmons and Rose preview for the TWolves and they brought up the Kevin Love Conundrum: do the Wolves really think he'll stick around when his contract is up and if not, would they consider Deron Williams-ing him? I think it's probably a year early for that to actually happen, but it struck me that if the Wolves were crazy enough to do it, Toronto would make a good trading partner.

To the Raps:
    Love
    Brewer or Buddinger or whatever else Minny wants to dump to make the salaries work

To Minny: some combination of
    Gay
    Ross
    2014 1st round pick
    multiple 2nd rounders
    Hansbrough or Acy

Why do it if you're Toronto:
    I don't think this needs much of an explanation. Love would be amazing alongside Jonas, would give them a true franchise player, and his game would fit with both DeRozan and Lowry's. Slot Fields, Budinger or Brewer in at the 3 and that's a damn solid starting lineup with a little bit of everything. It would put a 2-year window on winning before Love's contract is up and that might get dicey, but it's a gamble I'd take.

Why do it if you're Minny:
    You're probably not going to get another all-star back for Love simply because most around the league seem to think he's gonna bolt unless things really come together for them, but you'd be getting a close-to all-star at a position of need in Gay that you could re-sign or let walk for the cap space, along with multiple assets in Ross, the 2014 first rounder, some 2nd round throw-ins and a backup 4 in Hansbrough or Acy (WIlliams would probably slot into the starting 4). That's a pretty solid haul, and it would let them stay competitive in the short and long term (depending on how their young guys develop). Rubio+Ross+Gay+Williams would make for one hell of a running team.

Again, there's likely no way that this happens but I can sure as hell dream can't I?

I would be very against giving up a 2014 pick. But if you can offer them a future 1st rounder and they take it, I'd jump on it. For instance, with NY giving us a 2016 1st rder, we have 2 that year and I'd easily part with one.

I think it's still a bad time for the Raps to have no draft pick. There are still just too many issues with the team, and not enough ways to address them if you take away draft picks. Lets not forget even if they got Love...with this deal, they'd lose a starting SF, a backup SG, and apart from this deal their PG walks after this season....That leaves major holes in the team.

*I'm basically entirely against having no 1st rounder in any year. The caliber of player coming back in such a deal would have to be even greater than Kevin Love, who is an all-star, but hasn't proven that he's a franchise player (that requires winning...and staying healthy even if the latter is mostly luck).

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I would be very against giving up a 2014 pick. But if you can offer them a future 1st rounder and they take it, I'd jump on it. For instance, with NY giving us a 2016 1st rder, we have 2 that year and I'd easily part with one.

I think it's still a bad time for the Raps to have no draft pick. There are still just too many issues with the team, and not enough ways to address them if you take away draft picks. Lets not forget even if they got Love...with this deal, they'd lose a starting SF, a backup SG, and apart from this deal their PG walks after this season....That leaves major holes in the team.

*I'm basically entirely against having no 1st rounder in any year. The caliber of player coming back in such a deal would have to be even greater than Kevin Love, who is an all-star, but hasn't proven that he's a franchise player (that requires winning...and staying healthy even if the latter is mostly luck).
      I get what you're saying about the pick and to a certain extent I agree. If the team gets off to a bad start and they decide to go the tanky route then absolutely don't trade the pick. But in my head this trade was more of a 'we're looking like we're gonna end up under .500 as a 7-10 seed in the east, so let's make a move' kind of deal, and in that scenario the pick is probably outside the top 10, especially with Love coming in.

As for the roster holes, keep in mind I said some combination of the 2014 pick, Ross, the 2nd rounders and Acy/Hansbrough. I think that if you threw in the 2014 pick unprotected, you could easily keep Ross, and if you threw in Ross and say the 2016 Knicks pick or some other future pick, you could keep the 2014 pick - I don't think you need both of those to get the deal done, but Minny is going to want one of the 2 along with Gay.

At the SF you can platoon Fields and Brewer/Buddinger (whichever Minny throws back to make the money work), and I think that you can resign Lowry to a reasonable deal. From his perspective, he suddenly gets to play the pick and roll with 2 bigs that excel at it and taking Gay out of the equation means he's gonna have the ball in his hands a lot more - that's a good position to be in. And with JV and one of Ross and the 2014 first rounder on their rookie deals, you can afford to overpay a bit. But you're right, his free agency does make it a bigger gamble.

Comment

What's the sence to trade franshise player for another one? Still doesn't make us a contender
        For me it only makes sence if we can get Rondo.
        No new friends (c)

Comment

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=laucpw2

lol at the +/-

Comment

MoscowRussia wrote: View Post
            What's the sence to trade franshise player for another one? Still doesn't make us a contender
            For me it only makes sence if we can get Rondo.
            Which franchise player did we move in that deal?

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
              Which franchise player did we move in that deal?
              Rudy Gay
              No new friends (c)

Comment

I don't like it for either team. It's just an ugly fit.

Comment

Working...
                X