Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magoon wrote: View Post
    INTERLUDE:

Washington trades Emeka Okafor and their 2014 first-rounder (protected) to Phoenix for Marcin Gortat, Kendall Marshall, Shannon Brown and Malcolm Lee.

This probably takes Washington off the Rudy trade board - the only trade I can see happening is Trevor Ariza, Otto Porter and one of Shannon Brown or Kendall Marshall for Rudy and I don't think that's too likely.
    I was just about to post the same.

According to ESPN it is top 12 protected

Gortat is expiring after this year.

I think we just got an idea of the value of a 2014 draft pick from a playoff bubble team!

By the way, Washington just made the playoffs!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      By the way, Washington just made the playoffs!
      Yeah, this trade probably puts Washington over the top, playoffs-contention-wise. Gortat means they can move Nene back to power forward (where he's a better player), which - Emeka Okafor is the better defensive player than Gortat, but Gortat scores better and is way more comfortable with the pick and roll, which will mean EVEN MORE POINTS for John Wall. Shannon Brown and Kendall Marshall upgrade their bench a bit more. Malcolm Lee probably gets waived to make the money work.

It's a great trade for Washington, and it's also a great trade for Phoenix. A 2014 first-round pick for MARCIN FUCKING GORTAT, good lord, that's amazing. Plus they get Okafor's expiring contract, and I will bet you anything by mid-season Phoenix shops Okafor when he's healthy to another team looking to rent a top defensive big.

Comment

OKC really should've been the team to make this deal with Phoenix.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
          If Okafor is healthy by Christmas, I predict OKC trades Perkins and their 2014 first-rounder to Phoenix for Okafor.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
            I'm sure they'd have loved to, but OKC's first rounder is gonna be a lot lower than Washington's, and Okafor is a $14 million expiring deal this year (and is a very useful player when healthy). Perkins still has another year after this one at ~9.5 mil. If OKC was offering 2 firsts and maybe PJ3, I could maybe see the Suns thinking twice about it...but outside of that, Washington just had a much better deal to offer.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
              If Okafor is healthy by Christmas, I predict OKC trades Perkins and their 2014 first-rounder to Phoenix for Okafor.
              tkfu wrote: View Post
              I'm sure they'd have loved to, but OKC's first rounder is gonna be a lot lower than Washington's, and Okafor is a $14 million expiring deal this year (and is a very useful player when healthy). Perkins still has another year after this one at ~9.5 mil. If OKC was offering 2 firsts and maybe PJ3, I could maybe see the Suns thinking twice about it...but outside of that, Washington just had a much better deal to offer.
              To add to these thoughts....

Okafor's contract this year is $14.5 and Perkins is $8.7.

For OKC to take that contract on is going to be tough to make the numbers work when the next highest paid players are part of your rotations and make between $1.2 and $3.9M (Jackson, Adams, Lamb, Collison, Sefolosha).

Finally, OKC is just $500k below luxury tax. Every dollar over tax starts at $1.50 tax for first $5M plus they miss out on revenue sharing which is going to be big this year with Brooklyn. I don't see the Thunder missing out on the revenue or paying the tax - double whammy.

Comment

OKC should have tried moving Perkins to Houston in the Harden trade.. not doing that will be costly.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                  The other side of that problem is that Gortat is expiring, which means that he's up for a raise this summer. It's unlikely OKC could afford him going forward. So giving up a pick or multiple picks for a rental.. painful. Whereas the Wizards are likely planning to resign Gortat and certainly can afford it.

Btw, Omer Asik is still very likely available for any teams in need of a center and willing to pay. His contract will last for two years, too.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                    The other side of that problem is that Gortat is expiring, which means that he's up for a raise this summer. It's unlikely OKC could afford him going forward. So giving up a pick or multiple picks for a rental.. painful. Whereas the Wizards are likely planning to resign Gortat and certainly can afford it.

Btw, Omer Asik is still very likely available for any teams in need of a center and willing to pay. His contract will last for two years, too.
                    Asik, and Lin, are both poison pills though - like Fields.

Asik is due $15M next year even though he is just a $8.4 cap hit.

Comment

Here are the conditions on the pick:

(Washington, though, does have protections on the pick through 2019; if it doesn't convey to Phoenix next year, the pick is protected through 10 in the 2015 through 2019 Drafts, meaning Washington would keep it if it was one of the top 10 in any of those Drafts. If it has not yet been conveyed to the Suns by then, Phoenix gets the pick with no protections in 2020.)
                      http://www.nba.com/2013/news/10/25/a...wizards-trade/

So top 12 in 2014
                      Top 10 2015-2019
                      unprotected in 2020

Comment

Working...
                      X