Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Memphis @ Toronto: DeRozan's continued Growth and God Father IV

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Although last season's preseason record looked good too, this year there is noticeable chemistry with the starting unit. I don't really care that we're 6-1 so far, as most of those wins came with deep bench guys playing heavy minutes.

But our starters look to be in mid-season form already. It's amazing how beneficial one summer of continuity can be. Hoping it carries over to next week.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

honestly i think a lot of it is Lowry playing at 100% and demar's improvement.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i just assumed that of the ten thousand preaseason games for the raptors, this would have been the surefire loss. pleasantly surprised but obviously no crazy hopes up for the regular season, especially with the random injuries to basically half the team.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Resting K low is a must for Friday. We can sort out the backup pg situation possibly
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

5. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only positive Id say.... looks like the Augustine starting and Buycks back up show this Friday.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to add this in to provide some sober context but there is a silver lining. Guess who the Raptors played in their penultimate preseason game last year? The Memphis Grizzlies. Beat them 120-106 too. But, the silver lining is that the Grizz played mostly bench guys. Still, funny coincidence. Naismith lives!

Then again, take a look at our last preseason. Winning sched. Lots of hype about derozan. Impressive lowry. Even bargnani was a rock star. Hmmmm. Bring on the real season. Time to see if there is any actual gold in them there fool's gold

http://www.nba.com/raptors/schedule/2012
    Last edited by Jclaw; Thu Oct 24th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

8. Like drunkmunky, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    I was going to add this in to provide some sober context but there is a silver lining. Guess who the Raptors played in their penultimate preseason game last year? The Memphis Grizzlies. Beat them 120-106 too. But, the silver lining is that the Grizz played mostly bench guys. Still, funny coincidence. Naismith lives!
    Very fair point. But all I got out of that video (and the box score) is that our starters played decent minutes, theirs didn't even play (other than T.Allen), and even then we only blew the game open in the 4th quarter. In other words, our starters were only good enough for a 4pt lead on their bench.

Oh, and Bargnani grabbed ONE rebound, our defense looked like garbage, and most of our points were in transition (on the video). The only bright spot seems to be the assist-to-turnover ratio, which is not surprising when you compare our backup PG that year to this year.

That's not to say I'm taking our success this year out of context. Not by a long shot. But our starters have looked really good on both ends of the court (especially defense), and I'm seeing some crucial improvements to some key players there. With good health and solid effort (contract year for Lowry and Gay should REALLY help there), this year's starters are VASTLY superior to last year's. Fields (last year's version) and Bargnani starting?! **Puke**

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post

Then again, take a look at our last preseason. Winning sched. Lots of hype about derozan. Impressive lowry. Even bargnani was a rock star. Hmmmm. Bring on the real season. Time to see if there is any actual gold in them there fool's gold

http://www.nba.com/raptors/schedule/2012
    LC said pretty much all that needed to be said but have a look at the speed that the current roster plays at versus last year.
    Last year's team was way slower with Andrea on the floor -- you don't really notice how bad his footwork is until you compare it to Val or Hansborough...
    Also, tough to compare a game that the Grizz never were in and a game that the Raps starters had to claw back to win against the Grizz 3rd team! I'm not sure if there's a serious drop in coaching, the starters for Memphis had a late night (it is pre-season) or what, but they never were into the game, meanwhile Raps are trying to sort out the bench so Raptor player are playing to earn minutes - who knows, but the 2 games are considerably different.

Also, no hype this year -- I like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Resting K low is a must for Friday. We can sort out the backup pg situation possibly
    I don't think that will be sorted out for awhile. I suspect everyone will get a crack early on....

Post Thanks / Like

Update on TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=434933

Valanciunas and Hansborough practiced today. Those two and Stone are expected to make the trip to Milwaukee for the final preseason game. Lowry's status should be known later today, or tomorrow latest.

Raptors Republic Rookie big red's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure if there's a serious drop in coaching, the starters for Memphis had a late night (it is pre-season) or what, but they never were into the game...
    I'm surprised this hasn't come up more. Everybody knows that the pros like to Party while visiting Toronto. What better opportunity than the night before a meaningless pre-season game? Assuming the Griz were in the city Tuesday night, we could have seen the raps beat up a severely hung-over squad.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Indiana65 wrote: View Post
    I ended up unable to get the game on any of the sites you guys brought to my attention. Everyone of them required a download of software but when I tried to do that my firewall prevented the download as being unsafe. Doesn't matter as I did hear it and it was not much of a game.
    You should get adblock for your browser and latest adobe flash player Will work like a charm.
    #FREE

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

EDIT:

Lowry's finger will be protected for 6 weeks, but he's able to play in games and practice.
    Last edited by rocwell; Thu Oct 24th, 2013 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

JV and stone day to day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    Lowry 6 weeks out....
    Ah, no. 6 weeks in a splint. He can still practice and play according to the press release:

Raptors guard Kyle Lowry injured his left ring finger tendon during the third quarter of Wednesday’s game versus Memphis.

Lowry’s finger will be protected with a splint for approximately six weeks. During this time he will be able to participate in practices and play in games.

Lowry had a follow-up examination this afternoon in Toronto and did not accompany the team to Milwaukee for Friday’s preseason finale.

The Raptors open the regular season Wednesday at Air Canada Centre versus the Boston Celtics (7 p.m.)
    http://blog.raptors.com/press-releas...jury-update-2/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Ah, no. 6 weeks in a splint. He can still practice and play according to the press release:

http://blog.raptors.com/press-releas...jury-update-2/
    Yup, I edited my msg just before you posted. thanks tho

Post Thanks / Like

Ah my bad Rocwell missed your update.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone one how the x-rays came out? Is he fine or is Lowry just too stubborn to sit out in his contract year?
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Anyone one how the x-rays came out? Is he fine or is Lowry just too stubborn to sit out in his contract year?
    /sarcasm?

His finger tendon is damaged. He'll do fine from the start.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    /sarcasm?

His finger tendon is damaged. He'll do fine from the start.
    Like is something that would need surgery in like the off season or is it actually fine and it just needs time to heal?
    @Chr1st1anL

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information