Chisholm: Raps Wings Not Longterm Solution with JV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffer wrote: View Post
    I would attribute that to reserves trying to make their mark. Buycks seems like a younger version of Lucas, only he shoots more. How is JV going to get shots when there are no passes, only long rebounds out to the opponents wings?
    JV didn't really play with Buycks at all last game.
    For the most part we either played the starting unit as a whole or the bench unit as a whole. Here's the starting unit Minutes, FGA and FTA.

Derozan
    Min 29 FGA 15 FTA 3

Lowry
    Min 24 FGA 11 FTA 6

Gay
    Min 26 FGA 10 FTA 7

JV
    Min 23 FGA 7 FTA 4

Johnson
    Min 20 FGA 4 FTA 2

As you can see, JV is losing shots to Demar, Gay, and Lowry in the starting lineup. I don't expect that to change much during the regular season. Fortunately, we hopefully won't be switching lineups as 5 man units during the regular season and JV will get plenty of burn with some of the bench guys where he can take on more of the offense.

JV averaged 6 FGA and 3 FTA last season. I think it's reasonable to expect 10 FGA and 5 FTA just based on increased minutes. That would put him averaging around 15 pts a game which seems reasonable at this point in his career.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      JV didn't really play with Buycks at all last game.
      For the most part we either played the starting unit as a whole or the bench unit as a whole. Here's the starting unit Minutes, FGA and FTA.

As you can see, JV is losing shots to Demar, Gay, and Lowry in the starting lineup. I don't expect that to change much during the regular season. Fortunately, we hopefully won't be switching lineups as 5 man units during the regular season and JV will get plenty of burn with some of the bench guys where he can take on more of the offense.

JV averaged 6 FGA and 3 FTA last season. I think it's reasonable to expect 10 FGA and 5 FTA just based on increased minutes. That would put him averaging around 15 pts a game which seems reasonable at this point in his career.
      Sorry. I was referencing particularly the post that mentioned him being out there with the reserves. I remember him getting quite a bit of burn with the reserves for 2 or 3 games. And outside of Fields, he wasn't getting any love from any of them. Mind you, Stone didn't play much in the first half of the preseason and I suspect he would have been passing more to JV if the big guy had been available.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
        This is purely anecdotal but I had the chance to attend one preseason game in person and have watched the rest, and Val has shown a lot of visible frustration at being looked off on various post ups and rolls, often as a result of wings just not being comfortable with passing angles and choosing instead to send the ball back around the top. Part of that is probably Val's positioning and ability to fight for position needing work, part of it is that the Raps wings are simply not good passers. Just wanted to mention it.
        I noticed the same thing. JV fights and fights to hold off his man and fight for position. Then the ball goes somewhere else and JV looks like he just turned the switch off. I'm surprised the player he was playing against didn't fall down. I'm not saying this in a bad way. I'm no coach so I'd love to know if he is just not in the right position or are they just not getting it to him. Then again, maybe by him always being in a tussle with the other big, he's freeing up those lanes for the wings and that's the plan for now. If it is, I hope JV knows that. Don't want him to give up fighting.

Comment

Its not about trading a wing player. Some of it is on JV. If you watch, JV doesn't even get deep enough position on the block to even catch the ball or make a move. He is so far away from the basket. By the time he makes a move, the shot clock is up or another defender is on him.

Comment

johnnyg31 wrote: View Post
            Its not about trading a wing player. Some of it is on JV. If you watch, JV doesn't even get deep enough position on the block to even catch the ball or make a move. He is so far away from the basket. By the time he makes a move, the shot clock is up or another defender is on him.
            Great point for a first post Johnny! Welcome aboard!!

And I completely agree.
            JV needs to DEMAND the ball, and he needs to get in guys faces when he doesn't get it.
            He needs to TAKE this team on his back. Bargnani never wanted that pressure, or obviously just couldn't deliver on it; I think JV longs for it. But he needs to start being vocal from the block, and getting deep position every time and demanding the rock when he gets it.

Comment

JV's touches are completely on Casey (Drawing plays and telling guys to pass to JV) and JV himself (getting a position and demanding the ball)!!
              I think it'll be really good for JV to get a lot of burn against second unit. He's still raw to play against most C's in a league. So playing against 2nd unit will lead to less fouls called on him=>less easy points for an opponent, more baskets scored by him=>confidence rise for JV.
              And i also think teams will play more small ball this season so you don't need to have JV every time against 1st unit.
              No new friends (c)

Comment

i think joey hesketh said it best when he said we need a coach who isn't a buffoon
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

theres a couple of things you all need to realize

1) one of the first rules of the NBA, higher paid players will always get more looks.

2) and obviously, higher scoring players will always get more looks.

jv is in a starting rotation where gay+dd are both well paid and are both scorers. lets not forget lowry either.

but jv is also a beast in defense. would you rather have foul-prone tyler starting against the league's bigs? he's guaranteed to get benched within the first couple of minutes. granted, jv isn't exactly any better on the fouls front, but his shot blocking ability is something the raptors absolutely need to take advantage of. so its a trade off, but def not an end-all situation.

also someone mentioned the grizzlies. but not just them, theres so many other teams that can easily utilize 3 position scoring. just casey and his staff need to get a fucking clue on how to run offense.

Comment

This is only JV's 2nd year. At his position, the best thing for his development right now is to take advantage of the head coach's expertise and become the defensive anchor the team sorely needs. The offense and scoring will come in due time.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                      This is only JV's 2nd year. At his position, the best thing for his development right now is to take advantage of the head coach's expertise and become the defensive anchor the team sorely needs. The offense and scoring will come in due time.
                      I definitely agree with the bold.

But on the other side of the ball I wonder why stunt or delay his growth when he has shown the skills needed to become an offensive anchor as well?

Comment

Depends on how much Jv can handle between the ears. Sometimes a less is more approach is best (as pooka seems to suggest) but sometimes a player can absorb it all. Don't think we know enough to say which is the best case for JV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                          Depends on how much Jv can handle between the ears. Sometimes a less is more approach is best (as pooka seems to suggest) but sometimes a player can absorb it all. Don't think we know enough to say which is the best case for JV...
                          I'm going to assume that Casey has a clue, and also has competent assistants who aren't afraid to voice an opinion on this topic. who hired the assistants this year, Casey or Masai. It's important to the dynamics.

Comment

I'll tell you who would fit better..

Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Chandler Parson is the best current white basketball player, huge fan of his game.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                                I'll tell you who would fit better..

It will be a cold day in hell before the Rockets deal Parsons. He is on the best value contract in the NBA by FAR! 2 more years at under $1M. He was an unbelievable second round steal. I'm a UF fan and even I didn't think his game would translate so well to the NBA, to the point he is a better NBA player than he was an NCAA player. That doesn't happen with many, if any, 4 year college players.

Comment

Working...
                                X