Rudy and Kyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudy and Kyle

As we should know by know Kyle is a UFA and Rudy can opt out at the end of this season.. without trading either of them that could leave the team without receiving assets for two of their best players.

But if they both left that would free up about $26M in cap space where MU could look into free agency or obtain players via lopsided trades to pursue a rebuild.

If you were MU which direction would you take?

Would you trade Rudy and Kyle during the season? If you did the assets coming back may be slim considering both could walk away from the team that they were traded to. The Raptors may end up taking more salary then less or get a useless asset back. Remember Barbosa was traded for a late second rounder who ended up being Zubcic.. not really a great asset. However trading them both should mean the team gets a solid draft pick in 2014, but the assets they get back for Rudy and Kyle could be junk.

Would you keep Rudy and Kyle and then resign both (assuming Rudy opts out). That would hurt our draft position in a very good draft year, and extend the rebuild plan by one year... but it should allow MU to get a better return on his investment since both guys would be locked into new deals if he still wanted to trade both of them. In this scenario it would also allow the team to stay in tact building on what they have (if you are an anti-tanker this may be a nice idea).

Or would you keep one and trade the other? If so who would you keep and who would you trade away? Again the guy you trade will probably not return much this season due to their contract status.

Or would you just keep them both and let them walk if they both wanted to leave? Again that could hurt their draft position but give the team a lot of cap space next season.
    Trade both during the season
    42.31%
    Resign both after the season
    26.92%
    Trade one, but keep the other
    26.92%
    Play out the season and let them walk
    3.85%

I am not sold on Lowry leading this team, I will give him some timie to prove me wrong, but hearing his fiinger http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...-finger-injury will be in a splint for 6 weeks does not make for a good start.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I agree. If we're going to spend more money we need an all-star quality point guard.

Comment

Trading Lowry now will probably signal a rebuild immediately. Unless they can get a quality PG for him (which is doubtful since he's a free agent after this year) it would mean that either DJ or Buycks will be their starting PG.

I am not sure another team would be willing to give up their all-star quality point guard. Rondo comes to mind but Boston will start the negotiations with JV and the Raptors 2014 pick. Not sure I would want to trade either for a guy coming off a major injury.

Comment

It might be bad form to vote on your own poll.. but I voted resign both. I think MU is going to use this entire season to see what he has. I don't think he will tinker with the line up much and aim for the playoffs.

They may not get a lottery pick in 2014 or if they will it be in the high range (10-14).. however I like the idea of resigning both Lowry and Rudy as that would give MU much more leverage on trades going into next season. I see the team as flawed but I like the idea of getting a better return for some of their best players... and will be okay to wait one year to see it happen. Besides my gut thinks that MU is planning to rebuild for 2015 and not this year.

Comment

It's tough to say at this point what to do with these guys. I wonder how much a limitation their contract status's are with regards to their trade value? I highly doubt we could get a good 2014 pick for either of these guys individually or as a package. Is there a bottom feeding team out there that will most likely get a good 2014 pick and be willing to move that for a potential rental? I don't see that happening. So, in order to get a good 2014 pick out of these guys would require a trade to a playoff contending team that has a good 2014 pick that they got elsewhere, and is willing to move that for Gay under the assumption that a Gay acquisition would elevate them to championship contention. Does such a team exist? I'm not sure myself but perhaps there is a team or two or there that may be in that situation before the deadline. In any event, the opportunities to acquire a good 2014 picking with these pieces is limited.

Nonetheless, I think we can get a decent return for these guys, whether it will consist of picks, expriings, or useful pieces remains to be seen. I think both players have something to prove this year, and if successful should only increase their trade value. That being said, I think it's best to see what they do here at the beginning of the season before trying to move them. It could very well look like we should keep them both, and try to improve by moving other players (i.e. DD, Amir, Ross). If this team is in a playoff position 3-4 months in, would you still consider moving them for anything less than an immediate improvement in the team? It's going to be an interesting year in Raptorland!!

Personally, I'd be fine with moving both of these guys even if it means sacrificing the playoffs this year, but I'd want the return to put us in a better position to make the playoffs next year and continue to improve going forward. This is what I think Ujiri will do, and something tells me a full on tank isn't in the plans.

Comment

The issue I have with re-signing Lowry is how much do you pay him. It still remains to be seen whether he is anything more than a very average starting point guard or a very good backup point guard. And by that I'm talking about consistency. Certainly there have been flashes of a bonafide starter but to take the next step and do it consistently, maybe not. So far I see Lowry as a taller Nate Robinson. A great guy to have on your team because from time to time he looks absolutely brilliant. Other times not so much. He's a talented guy that can run your offense but a lot of times you wish you had another guy you could use to, well, run the offense properly.

So if you do plan on re-signing him, do you offer him starter-like money? If you don't, would he walk away and sign elsewhere? You have to get something for him. I think there is still a pretty good chance and even if he flashes the same inconsistency as he did last year, there will still be a handful of teams willing to take a flyer on him because they think they can do a better job of developing him. On the other hand if you don't trade him, he could walk because you probably don't want to offer him what he's expecting.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

Lowry has been passed around the league a couple of times now. It is difficult to see him at the starting lineup position unless it's for a struggling team. That puts him in no better position than what he's in now.

If he really wants a chance to win, I think he'll stay. If he wants more money, he'll leave.

Comment

With Lowry's new found fitness level, and this being a contract year, I think he's poised to re-assert himself as a top-10 PG this year.

Comment

If the question is "what I would do", then I'd say trade both as I'm behind the build through high draft pick arguement (tanking). If Rudy was a couple of years younger I wouldn't mind keeping he and JV together and stripping the rest of the team away for picks and other assets, but at his age and the time frame it would take to do a proper tank and rebuild I'd trade him with the rest.

Personally I don't think MU will look to tank and will want to build on the fly. He will try and negotiate a decent contract for Gay but if they can't come to an agreement I can see Gay being shipped out. Lowry lacks maturity and dicipline imo. I could live with him if he could just run the offense and play solid defense like a Mario Chalmers or Raymond Felton, but he often looks to take over the game which he isn't elite enough to do. Still think he's one of our most talented players, but he hasn't figured out that he is a role player as yet.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      With Lowry's new found fitness level, and this being a contract year, I think he's poised to re-assert himself as a top-10 PG this year.
                      I thought I was the only one!

Comment

@sweatpantsjer

Comment

Lowry asserting himself is precisely his biggest problem, that and he has tunnel visuon, AND1 disease, and he is a whiner.

Other than that, he's tip top!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            A guy who looses his starting job whereever he goes is not, and never was a top 10 PG. He's our pg, we like him, we're optimistic, we cheer for him, but lets call it how it is.

Comment

Tbh I'd rather have a playmaking PG who can defend. We don't really need a scoring PG on this team.

Comment

Working...
                              X