Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who are you pulling for on the 30th?

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who are you pulling for on the 30th?

Moderators, feel free to scrap this if it is/becomes a redundant tank vs not thread. The difference is, I think a lot of people (myself included) are in the sit on the fence camp of wait and see what this team does for 20 games and then decide to persevere or blow up. But, if any part of you views plan B as tanking, the end result starts going the wrong way with a win over Boston. That is a ping pong team and every time we beat them (whether it's the last game of the season or the first game), they put us further behind in the lottery. How do you set your frame of mind as a fan if most of you wants this team to do really well but plan b needs them to play terribly? So, is anybody joining that sad sack in the Celtics jersey from the season ticket preseason event to cheer for Boston? Feel free to make a poll of this if you know how.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll post my extremely unpopular opinion: I'll be hoping they lose. I'm not going to be upset if they win, but if had a choice they'd go 0-82. Ok, maybe 10-72. More specifically, my ideal situation is for a lengthy but not trade value altering injury to both Lowry and Amir Johnson, because I feel like that would have the best chance of derailing the team. maybe a short one to DD so that Ross can get some burn.

Now to answer the inevitable flames: I've been a fan of this team since it's inception, and will continue to be regardless of their record. I'm for short term pain in the name of long term gain, and have very little faith in the roster as currently constructed. I don't think any team paying DD and Rudy Gay first and third option kind of money can win a title, let alone compete for one. I say blow it up, the sooner the better.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll play it nice and say that I want this team to play well. Wins are a by-product of a talented, cohesive unit. If we don't have that, then exciting, hard fought games are all that one can ask for.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot not pull for the Raptors to win a game.

This said my hopes for the year is that MU make the appropriate changes to the team to gather assets current and future, create cap space and position the team in a good area for the next draft (one of the best in about 10 years). Call this what you may....I call it prudent asset management and have confidence that MU and his team will put the future Raptors (1-3 yrs) in a better spot than it is now. The prize is a championship contending team.

5. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bendit completely.... It's not possible to be a fan of a team and HOPE and CHEER for them to lose... I try to imagine myself being a player and thinking that my "fans" want me to fail.... not acceptable...

That said, I hope MU does the appropriate things to construct a sustainable winner... in the meantime, I will cheer every game.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's Boston. I couldn't cheer for them if I had a gun to my head. Fuck the Celtics.

8. Like wrooster, Jclaw liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I want the picture perfect recipe for failure.

Is it possible the Raptors compete night in and night out with guys playing to the best of their performance and 100% healthy only to continually lose nail biter after nail biter? Once that happens, guys have tremendous value around the league and MU can get teams to make significant offers for the Raptors main players right now (DD, Lowry, Gay).

That is what I want.

The last thing I hope on any of them is an injury - and that goes for just about every single player in the league. These guys bodies are just as important to them as most of us in our job with a computer (or whatever it is your do, the thing you use most).

Anyways, kind of backwards Pollyanna thinking on my part which is the least likely of any outcome this year!
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't control things like what Matt's hoping for. I want to see us play our hearts out. After 25 games, after they've played their asses off, then we'll talk about trades. Regardless of record, I'm hoping for Rudy Gay and DeRozan to start the season shooting 50% from the field and averaging 30 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists each.

Make no mistake, MU will eventually gut this team. This is not his team, it's Colangelo's. I'd rather he do it when our players are overachieving.
    your pal,
    ebrian

11. Like Puffer, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I want the picture perfect recipe for failure.

Is it possible the Raptors compete night in and night out with guys playing to the best of their performance and 100% healthy only to continually lose nail biter after nail biter? Once that happens, guys have tremendous value around the league and MU can get teams to make significant offers for the Raptors main players right now (DD, Lowry, Gay).

That is what I want.

The last thing I hope on any of them is an injury - and that goes for just about every single player in the league. These guys bodies are just as important to them as most of us in our job with a computer (or whatever it is your do, the thing you use most).

Anyways, kind of backwards Pollyanna thinking on my part which is the least likely of any outcome this year!
    I hear you but that's part of the frustration. This team, with the improvements we hope/assume, should be better than nail biters against a lot of these teams. If not, they're not a draft pick away from greatness either.

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be watching DD, Ross, JV, Amir closely hoping they improve after each game.
    Whether they win or loose i don't really care anymore, in my perfect scenario those 4 would make huge strides, but we'd still loose the games and ship out everybody else, but that's unrealistic so i'll just take what they give us.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    You can't control things like what Matt's hoping for. I want to see us play our hearts out. After 25 games, after they've played their asses off, then we'll talk about trades. Regardless of record, I'm hoping for Rudy Gay and DeRozan to start the season shooting 50% from the field and averaging 30 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists each.

Make no mistake, MU will eventually gut this team. This is not his team, it's Colangelo's. I'd rather he do it when our players are overachieving.
    Bammm! That's what I am talkin' about. Have the players overachieve and leave it in Masai's hands.

15. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who are you pulling for on the 30th? that's a clown question bro.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Who are you pulling for on the 30th? that's a clown question bro.
    This.

Idc if you're a tanker or not, you should be cheering for your team to win games.

18. Like isaacthompson, TRex liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    I'll post my extremely unpopular opinion: I'll be hoping they lose. I'm not going to be upset if they win, but if had a choice they'd go 0-82. Ok, maybe 10-72. More specifically, my ideal situation is for a lengthy but not trade value altering injury to both Lowry and Amir Johnson, because I feel like that would have the best chance of derailing the team. maybe a short one to DD so that Ross can get some burn.

Now to answer the inevitable flames: I've been a fan of this team since it's inception, and will continue to be regardless of their record. I'm for short term pain in the name of long term gain, and have very little faith in the roster as currently constructed. I don't think any team paying DD and Rudy Gay first and third option kind of money can win a title, let alone compete for one. I say blow it up, the sooner the better.
    Who gives a shit that you've been a "fan of the team since its inception". You want players to be physically injured? Go fuck yourself.

20. Like p00ka liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star brothersteve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How could any sports fan in Toronto cheer for Boston?
    (or even consider it - this world is nuts)
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    Who gives a shit that you've been a "fan of the team since its inception". You want players to be physically injured? Go fuck yourself.
    ROFL this attitude is hilarious to me. You think these guys, who have some of the best medical care in the world, are serious damaged by the kind of injury I'm talking about? Gimme a break. I specified 'the kind of injury that won't hurt their trade value', ie the kind that won't affect future performance, like breaking your hand while doing knuckle pushups (cough Kevin Love cough). Hell I would have been thrilled if Lowry had have hurt a finger on his right hand, that would have been perfect. Take some time to heal, lose some games, healthy in time for the trade deadlne.

The idea that you can only be a fan if you're rooting for your team to win every game is the most laughable kind of narrow-mindedness. Especially for Toronto sports fans, who've watched the Leafs go through this same 'build on the fly' bullshit year after year after year with very little success. You know what I'm rooting for? I'm rooting for long-term success, for championships, I'm rooting for the team to actually be chasing the one prize that the players themselves actually give a shit about. You honestly think the players give a damn if they win some random mid-season games against middle of the road teams? Nope, they forget about that shit the minute it's over and start focussing on the next game. The only reason they care about win/loss record is that it determines playoff seeding, and why the fuck would you aim for the playoffs unless you're trying to win a championship. You want to see what happens when your team is only trying to limp into the playoffs every year? Go take a long, hard look at the Bucks. Aside from getting paid in some cases, the trophy is all that the players care about, but most of you would rather they suffer through years of first round playoff exits and middling success so that you can be entertained on a Thursday night in February and feel good about life because your team got a meaningless win.

And I'M the one with the twisted view? You just keep on taking that ridiculous moral high ground and keep telling yourself you're the real fan and I'm not. Either way this team is headed for more irrelevancy if they keep delaying the inevitable teardown that's needed to reach the only goal that really matters in professional sports.

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BLUB BLUB BLUB
    sorry didn't get what you were saying. irrelevant mish mash of poorly thought out comments you'd usually only see on the raptors Facebook page mixed with embarrassing hyberbole and trying to come across like you know more about bball than other people here.

Can you please break your hands so I don't have to read more of these sad rants? We have great healthcare here I'm sure you'll be fine.

Repeating the same arguments everyone here has read 10000x times does not help. Assuming that everyone else is sooo narrow minded and you're the only one in the know (I'm actually generally a pro tanker but not through wishing PLAYER INJURY) is just childish.

Breaking hands and fingers especially for people who depend on physical health to make a livelihood for their families and to entertain us isn't a big deal? Wishing harm on actual people so you can feel better about cheering for a team while sitting on your ass at home? This isn't a fucking video game buddy.
    Last edited by iblastoff; Sat Oct 26th, 2013 at 10:39 AM.

24. Like Xixak, p00ka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    sorry didn't get what you were saying. irrelevant mish mash of poorly thought out comments you'd usually only see on the raptors Facebook page mixed with embarrassing hyberbole and trying to come across like you know more about bball than other people here.

Can you please break your hands so I don't have to read more of these sad rants? We have great healthcare here I'm sure you'll be fine.

Repeating the same arguments everyone here has read 10000x times does not help. Assuming that everyone else is sooo narrow minded and you're the only one in the know (I'm actually generally a pro tanker but not through wishing PLAYER INJURY) is just childish.

Breaking hands and fingers especially for people who depend on physical health to make a livelihood for their families and to entertain us isn't a big deal? Wishing harm on actual people so you can feel better about cheering for a team while sitting on your ass at home? This isn't a fucking video game buddy.
    Really? This is your response? How the hell does breaking a finger or a hand create a long-term problem for a professional athlete unless the break is so severe as to cause nerve damage or something similar, or the team botches it completely. Players come back from minor injuries like these without suffering any long-term consequences all the time. Yes, taking a month or two of ridiculously well-paid vacation is terrible (they still get paid, you know), and I'm clearly a bad person (by the way, are you secretly Latrell Sprewell? Don't think any NBA player should be worried about their ability to provide for a family). I could see your point if I was asking for someone to break a leg, or to tear an achilles or the like, but we're talking about routine injuries with no real long-term consequences here. I might as well have written 'I hope Lowry gets the flu for 2 months', because it would have exactly the same effect.

Get over your knee-jerk reaction and realize that this is just wishful thinking in the same vein as hoping your boss gets sick so you don't have to go to a meeting.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, trying to justify wishing injuries on players. I have officially seen it all.

I hope karma hits you and hits you hard Lark.

27. Like p00ka liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Really? This is your response? How the hell does breaking a finger or a hand create a long-term problem for a professional athlete unless the break is so severe as to cause nerve damage or something similar, or the team botches it completely. Players come back from minor injuries like these without suffering any long-term consequences all the time. Yes, taking a month or two of ridiculously well-paid vacation is terrible (they still get paid, you know), and I'm clearly a bad person (by the way, are you secretly Latrell Sprewell? Don't think any NBA player should be worried about their ability to provide for a family). I could see your point if I was asking for someone to break a leg, or to tear an achilles or the like, but we're talking about routine injuries with no real long-term consequences here. I might as well have written 'I hope Lowry gets the flu for 2 months', because it would have exactly the same effect.

Get over your knee-jerk reaction and realize that this is just wishful thinking in the same vein as hoping your boss gets sick so you don't have to go to a meeting.
    iblastoff,,,,, see the bold: you're not going to get through to someone with such a cowardly, self-entitled view of life, that wishing for someone's injury is below pond scum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information