Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who are you pulling for on the 30th?

Raptors Republic All-Star iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    Really? This is your response? How the hell does breaking a finger or a hand create a long-term problem for a professional athlete unless the break is so severe as to cause nerve damage or something similar, or the team botches it completely. Players come back from minor injuries like these without suffering any long-term consequences all the time. Yes, taking a month or two of ridiculously well-paid vacation is terrible (they still get paid, you know), and I'm clearly a bad person (by the way, are you secretly Latrell Sprewell? Don't think any NBA player should be worried about their ability to provide for a family). I could see your point if I was asking for someone to break a leg, or to tear an achilles or the like, but we're talking about routine injuries with no real long-term consequences here. I might as well have written 'I hope Lowry gets the flu for 2 months', because it would have exactly the same effect.

Get over your knee-jerk reaction and realize that this is just wishful thinking in the same vein as hoping your boss gets sick so you don't have to go to a meeting.
    of course that was my response. as it would be from any sane human being that isn't wholly disconnected from real life.

2. Like Xixak liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    iblastoff,,,,, see the bold: you're not going to get through to someone with such a cowardly, self-entitled view of life, that wishing for someone's injury is below pond scum.
    I couldn't be facepalming any harder.

Go ahead and explain to me why an NBA player breaking their hand and missing a couple months of a season before returning without lasting effect would constitute anything other than a paid vacation for them.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    I couldn't be facepalming any harder.

Go ahead and explain to me why an NBA player breaking their hand and missing a couple months of a season before returning without lasting effect would constitute anything other than a paid vacation for them.
    I've been disgusted with a lot of posts on this forum before, but this one takes the cake.

Think logically for a second (if that is possible). YOU ARE WISHING INJURY AGAINST PEOPLE. You don't see anything wrong with that?
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    I've been disgusted with a lot of posts on this forum before, but this one takes the cake.

Think logically for a second (if that is possible). YOU ARE WISHING INJURY AGAINST PEOPLE. You don't see anything wrong with that?
    What I am "wishing for" what is at most a minor inconvenience with a bit of pain involved and a lot of rest time spent raking in thousands upon thousands of dollars and recuperating with the best care money can buy. Oh heavens forbid, what a terrible fate!

Do I see anything wrong with "wishing" upon a player a better situation than 99.9% of the humans alive on this planet will ever experience? Nope. Context is required for that, but nobody seems to be able to actually get past their moral outrage, pull back and objectively consider how completely inconsequential such an injury would be for the player and how insanely good their life would continue to be. Hell, I'll bet there are players (on bad teams especially) that would LOVE to sit on the injury reserve while collecting a paycheque - remember that Toronto fans have accused many Raptors of just that.

But yeah, I'm just an evil person because no one can get past the word 'injury'. The outrage you guys are showing is beyond funny, but then you're probably mad that all this posting is taking away from the time you normally spend volunteering at the hospital, feeding the homeless and generally erasing human pain and suffering from the planet, right?

Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

WIN WIN and only WIN

Create a winning culture, let Casey get his system in, let them play. Give them a chance, to take that away from them for some hope of an unknown kid to carry the team in another 3 years, when these guys have worked so hard is BULLSHIT.

Go after Wiggins as a free agent, chance to play for your home city, home country. Kid has dreamed it already. Better chance to land him this way. They are no way positioned to lose more than other bottom feeders.

Your a Fan, do your job and cheer for them, for christ sake.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post

The irony of asking someone to think logically literally right before appealing to emotion.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imaginelino wrote: View Post
    WIN WIN and only WIN

Create a winning culture, let Casey get his system in, let them play. Give them a chance, to take that away from them for some hope of an unknown kid to carry the team in another 3 years, when these guys have worked so hard is BULLSHIT.

Go after Wiggins as a free agent, chance to play for your home city, home country. Kid has dreamed it already. Better chance to land him this way. They are no way positioned to lose more than other bottom feeders.

Your a Fan, do your job and cheer for them, for christ sake.
    Maybe it's just me, but this may be most, if not all, of the clichés about being a fan rolled into one post.

9. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe its just me but I think this thread is an insult to the coaches and players. Someone even going as far as hoping for injuries.

Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pulling for Kelly Olynyk in the opener, Toronto born, national team member, Gonzaga grad (go Zags!).

12. Like JimiCliff liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This game can't come soon enough! 3 days still feels way too far away.

14. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Where are the mods on this one?

WAAAY too many personal attacks for my liking.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see 82 ganes of a young, exciting and hard working squad, one that see's JV, DD, And TR turn a big corner, yet somehow cannot manage to win more than 6 games.

Toronto needs Wiggans.

Post Thanks / Like

I will never cheer for the team to lose when there's a shot for them. When they're eliminated from the playoffs, or if they start 4-19, sure blow it up. But I'm not starting a brand new season with a loser's mentality.
    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

18. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how the Raptors can get good value for their players while also losing enough to get a high draft pick.

If you want them to get end up with a worse record than Boston with no one hurting their trade value, you should probably just not watch any games this season. I mean, the refs can only fuck them over so many times this year before it becomes suspicious.

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta root for the Raptors once the ball gets thrown up in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRX wrote: View Post
    The irony of asking someone to think logically literally right before appealing to emotion.
    Quote TRX wrote: View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but this may be most, if not all, of the clichés about being a fan rolled into one post.
    Gotta love those that roll around the internet to with the sole purpose of criticizing others while not even making reference to the question asked thread!!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    You gotta root for the Raptors once the ball gets thrown up in the air.
    Yes but a situation like 2010-11 and 2011-12 could be unfolding where a loss is not such a travesty.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Yes but a situation like 2010-11 and 2011-12 could be unfolding where a loss is not such a travesty.
    I can understand that point of view... but for me it WILL be a travesty until I see a return on those losses. I'll never jump on the tank bandwagon while it's in progress, but once it's gotten us somewhere I'll have faith in the system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think my thoughts on the upcoming Raptors season are well known by now. The losses will not be travesties by any means, but when I plop myself down in front of the TV a few nights a week to watch the games... I will always be rooting for the Raptors to win.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I'll be in Toronto this week and have tickets to the home opener. Are there others from the forum who will be in attendance that night?

Thread Information