Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Name the team that pops into your head.....

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Name the team that pops into your head.....

.... When you read the following:

"The worst thing you can do is be burdened with contracts that are $6-7-8 million a year that go out 3-4 years and you have just kind of average players," Mitch Kupchak said last month. "Then you're really kind of stuck in the middle -- you're not going to get a good draft choice and you're not going to have financial flexibility."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...es&src=desktop
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Oct 27th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bucks?

I assume this is another thread to spark a tear-it-down-and-tank debate.

I hope you weren't trying to talk about the Raptors, because we don't have a single 6-8M contract that goes out 3-4 years.
    http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Bucks were first ones into my head. Mavs second, simply because of how they've loaded up on mediocre players after 2 years of failing to land a superstar alongside Dirk (which is a great cautionary tale for people who think that Toronto can land a superstar in free agency or keep one after a trade without already having a top-20 player on the roster).

I think Kupchak is only half right though, because if you have some decent cheap parts AND a lot of young prospects and picks then you can form a lot of trades to upgrade the roster. Not the approach I'd like to see taken, but to me it forms a good backup plan if draft selections don't yield a franchise talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    The Bucks?

I assume this is another thread to spark a tear-it-down-and-tank debate.

I hope you weren't trying to talk about the Raptors, because we don't have a single 6-8M contract that goes out 3-4 years.
    http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm
    There have been many 3-5 year contracts given over the last few years in that dollar range... And up to $9.5-$11M per year.

Also the key word here is average.

No, no intention of starting a tank debate. More highlighting waste of salary cap use over the last few years and reliance on average talent to do more than ability permits.

Post Thanks / Like

The raptors of the past few years or maybe the past decade. Just because we don't this year that means absolutely nothing towards the fact that we did for many years previous.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

I also thought of the Bucks.. but the Raptors have certainly been guilty of this in recent years, and are suffering the consequences of said actions this year.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Chris Bosh era.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

People have said the Bucks but the thing about the Bucks is they still have about $10-15M (depending on the cap) in cap space next summer with 12 guys under contract.

Also, they only have 1 guy on their roster (sanders) for 2016-17 (3 years out).

Finally, Mayo at $8M seems reasonable, same with Ilyasova at $7.9M.... at least I think.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    People have said the Bucks but the thing about the Bucks is they still have about $10-15M (depending on the cap) in cap space next summer with 12 guys under contract.

Finally, Mayo at $8M seems reasonable, same with Ilyasova at $7.9M.... at least I think.
    Suppose its perception over fact... the Bucks just reak of Perpetual Mediocrity ... The Raptors too though, I'll admit.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Suppose its perception over fact... the Bucks just reak of Perpetual Mediocrity ... The Raptors too though, I'll admit.
    I forget the exact numbers but the Raptors are 8 losses shy of being the worst team over the last 10 years... or something like that!

You know what they say about glass houses! lol
    Bruno Caboclo

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

So who were you referring to in this thread?

Why are you talking about the Raptors of old, the current team doesn't have any deals like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    So who were you referring to in this thread?

Why are you talking about the Raptors of old, the current team doesn't have any deals like that.
    The current team is handcuffed by deals like that.

Take Fields out, have DeRozan signed for $7M per year, decline options on all this summers FA signings, and the Raptors would be able to offer a max contract this summer.... AND still have Gay at $19.3M.
    Bruno Caboclo

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A new GM in town, a few days away from the new season, and creating new threads on past bad deals? To what end?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The current team is handcuffed by deals like that.

Take Fields out, have DeRozan signed for $7M per year, decline options on all this summers FA signings, and the Raptors would be able to offer a max contract this summer.... AND still have Gay at $19.3M.
    Not sure how you would've signed DeMar for 7M per but ok.

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    A new GM in town, a few days away from the new season, and creating new threads on past bad deals? To what end?
    Exactly what I was wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Some threads create good discussion. Some don't.

I found Kupchak's comments hitting close to home. If others disagree - so be it - kind of the point of a forum no?

But I must say, you're taking the forum experience here to the same place you managed to take the main page. Way to go.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If everyone had this attitude, nothing would ever get posted on here. What's the point of creating any discussion about something over which you have zero control? We just like to speculate and argue over our perspectives of the team.

17. Like CalgaryRapsFan, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    If everyone had this attitude, nothing would ever get posted on here. What's the point of creating any discussion about something over which you have zero control? We just like to speculate and argue over our perspectives of the team.
    Apparently you have one fan.

People come in different flavours, pal. Look at you. Who would think that a being that can type, and at least spell basketball correctly, would wish injury upon players, as satisfying their needs. Don't dare me to say what I think the world would be like, never mind this little place, if everyone had your attitude.

That aside, sorry but I just have to. This is precious: "What's the point of creating any discussion about something over which you have zero control?"
    What about this topic does anyone here have any control of? Sorry, but that was just funny. None of us has the least control of anything being babbled about here.

In this case it's distant past and even nobody in the organization has any control of what was done. What's done is done. Get over it and move on, I'd suggest, but we have have different needs.

"We just like to speculate and argue over our perspectives of the team."

Yeah, I do that too, but I'm not going to apologize or excuse myself from expressing my viewpoint of the discussions, even though I may not be engaging in the same campfire tune. We all come in different flavours. So, I'm not what you're looking fr when you come here. Boo hoo, get over it. I didn't come here looking for relevance to my stand on selective human neutering either.
    Last edited by p00ka; Mon Oct 28th, 2013 at 12:45 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, when you post something that seems like you are critical of the Raptors right now, it's as if you are chumming for sharks.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Last 10 years, Bucks have 391 wins, about 44%, with 5 playoff appearances.

Last 10 years, Raps have 357 wins, about 40% and 2 playoff appearances.

Bucks have at least 50% playoff appearances, while Raps at 20%. I'm not even sure the Raps qualify for mediocrity over this span of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Matt, when you post something that seems like you are critical of the Raptors right now, it's as if you are chumming for sharks.
    Yeah, I suppose.

I likely would not have bothered posting this yesterday morning if I knew the poop show that would unwind as the day went on.

It is unfortunate that tolerance, respect, and a willingness to consider an opposing view is not always shared among posters. That goes for me as well. Clearly I rub many the wrong way and at some point a little self-reflection would lead me to believe it can't be all the those rubbed wrong posters.
    Bruno Caboclo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information