Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name the team that pops into your head.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name the team that pops into your head.....

.... When you read the following:

"The worst thing you can do is be burdened with contracts that are $6-7-8 million a year that go out 3-4 years and you have just kind of average players," Mitch Kupchak said last month. "Then you're really kind of stuck in the middle -- you're not going to get a good draft choice and you're not going to have financial flexibility."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...es&src=desktop
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Oct 27, 2013, 04:16 PM.

The Bucks?

I assume this is another thread to spark a tear-it-down-and-tank debate.

I hope you weren't trying to talk about the Raptors, because we don't have a single 6-8M contract that goes out 3-4 years.
    http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

Comment

I agree, Bucks were first ones into my head. Mavs second, simply because of how they've loaded up on mediocre players after 2 years of failing to land a superstar alongside Dirk (which is a great cautionary tale for people who think that Toronto can land a superstar in free agency or keep one after a trade without already having a top-20 player on the roster).

I think Kupchak is only half right though, because if you have some decent cheap parts AND a lot of young prospects and picks then you can form a lot of trades to upgrade the roster. Not the approach I'd like to see taken, but to me it forms a good backup plan if draft selections don't yield a franchise talent.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
        The Bucks?

I assume this is another thread to spark a tear-it-down-and-tank debate.

I hope you weren't trying to talk about the Raptors, because we don't have a single 6-8M contract that goes out 3-4 years.
        http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm
        There have been many 3-5 year contracts given over the last few years in that dollar range... And up to $9.5-$11M per year.

Also the key word here is average.

No, no intention of starting a tank debate. More highlighting waste of salary cap use over the last few years and reliance on average talent to do more than ability permits.

Comment

The raptors of the past few years or maybe the past decade. Just because we don't this year that means absolutely nothing towards the fact that we did for many years previous.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I also thought of the Bucks.. but the Raptors have certainly been guilty of this in recent years, and are suffering the consequences of said actions this year.

Comment

Raptors Chris Bosh era.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

People have said the Bucks but the thing about the Bucks is they still have about $10-15M (depending on the cap) in cap space next summer with 12 guys under contract.

Also, they only have 1 guy on their roster (sanders) for 2016-17 (3 years out).

Finally, Mayo at $8M seems reasonable, same with Ilyasova at $7.9M.... at least I think.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  People have said the Bucks but the thing about the Bucks is they still have about $10-15M (depending on the cap) in cap space next summer with 12 guys under contract.

Finally, Mayo at $8M seems reasonable, same with Ilyasova at $7.9M.... at least I think.
                  Suppose its perception over fact... the Bucks just reak of Perpetual Mediocrity ... The Raptors too though, I'll admit.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Suppose its perception over fact... the Bucks just reak of Perpetual Mediocrity ... The Raptors too though, I'll admit.
                    I forget the exact numbers but the Raptors are 8 losses shy of being the worst team over the last 10 years... or something like that!

You know what they say about glass houses! lol

Comment

So who were you referring to in this thread?

Why are you talking about the Raptors of old, the current team doesn't have any deals like that.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                        So who were you referring to in this thread?

Why are you talking about the Raptors of old, the current team doesn't have any deals like that.
                        The current team is handcuffed by deals like that.

Take Fields out, have DeRozan signed for $7M per year, decline options on all this summers FA signings, and the Raptors would be able to offer a max contract this summer.... AND still have Gay at $19.3M.

Comment

A new GM in town, a few days away from the new season, and creating new threads on past bad deals? To what end?

Comment

The current team is handcuffed by deals like that.

Take Fields out, have DeRozan signed for $7M per year, decline options on all this summers FA signings, and the Raptors would be able to offer a max contract this summer.... AND still have Gay at $19.3M.
                            Not sure how you would've signed DeMar for 7M per but ok.

p00ka wrote: View Post
                            A new GM in town, a few days away from the new season, and creating new threads on past bad deals? To what end?
                            Exactly what I was wondering.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                              Some threads create good discussion. Some don't.

I found Kupchak's comments hitting close to home. If others disagree - so be it - kind of the point of a forum no?

But I must say, you're taking the forum experience here to the same place you managed to take the main page. Way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X