This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Kind of different. Because you can, if you wanted, sign him to a 3 or 4 year rookie deal, and then resign him separately from your 2 regulars. That was my interpretation anyway. Matt?
    I think as long as you do not have two guys who you drafted expiring at the same time you are good.

If you do, then you messed up, and you'll have to choose one.

Comment

• As per the original CBA post from Apollo S1:

"At the end of the year you are allowed to two sign players on your roster to an extension for as many years as you want provided you remain under cap. This decision must be made prior to the draft.

Exception: You will be allowed to additionally re-sign or extend one player on your roster who you drafted as a rookie. [Effective 2013 draft]"

Based on the under-lined, I'd have to change my original interpretation and say that any rookie you drafted, can be given a longer deal at the end of the season, prior to the draft. Obviously, you couldn't cut down the length; which one again supports my theory of 1 year deals being the best practice for rookies, which makes sense in the real NBA motif, as the 1 year rookie deal is a potential bargain like NBA rookie scale deals.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I think as long as you do not have two guys who you drafted expiring at the same time you are good.

If you do, then you messed up, and you'll have to choose one.
        So for this draft, since I have 2 picks, I basically have to sign one to a multiyear deal and the other to a 1 year deal, or risk losing one in free agency (or use one of my 2 expiring re-sign slots)

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          So for this draft, since I have 2 picks, I basically have to sign one to a multiyear deal and the other to a 1 year deal, or risk losing one in free agency (or use one of my 2 expiring re-sign slots)
          That is one way to do it.

But you might have a future draft pick expiring at the same time and you'll still be forced to make a choice.... if you have a future draft pick of course.

Basically it is this:
          a) you can resign two players who are expiring each year,
          b) you can resign one player you drafted as a rookie with a Dynasty League draft pick who is expiring each year. If you have two or more rookies you wish to keep expiring at the same time, you need to make a choice for the rookie extension and then the other rookie(s) will have to come under a) above.

Comment

That is one way to do it.

But you might have a future draft pick expiring at the same time and you'll still be forced to make a choice.... if you have a future draft pick of course.

Basically it is this:
            a) you can resign two players who are expiring each year,
            b) you can resign one player you drafted as a rookie with a Dynasty League draft pick who is expiring each year. If you have two or more rookies you wish to keep expiring at the same time, you need to make a choice for the rookie extension and then the other rookie(s) will have to come under a) above.
            You can never have a future draft pick expiring the same as a 1 year rookie deal, so I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.

Also, for the bold, based on Apollo's original CBA post, it says re-sign or extend, so unless it was amended in a later post, that seems to indicate you can re-sign 1 drafted rookie, regardless of whether they are an expiring deal or not.

If that interpretation is correct, then you can re-sign a rookie under the rookie provision once in their career, regardless of the cap years or when they were drafted. In that case, could you sign a rookie to a 3 year deal, and then, in 3 years, extend that rookie under the rookie provision?

It seems to me, each year you can add years onto 1 drafted rookie, regardless of their current cap hit as long as it all fits under 40.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              You can never have a future draft pick expiring the same as a 1 year rookie deal, so I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.

Also, for the bold, based on Apollo's original CBA post, it says re-sign or extend, so unless it was amended in a later post, that seems to indicate you can re-sign 1 drafted rookie, regardless of whether they are an expiring deal or not.

If that interpretation is correct, then you can re-sign a rookie under the rookie provision once in their career, regardless of the cap years or when they were drafted. In that case, could you sign a rookie to a 3 year deal, and then, in 3 years, extend that rookie under the rookie provision?

It seems to me, each year you can add years onto 1 drafted rookie, regardless of their current cap hit as long as it all fits under 40.
              Lets say you have 2 draft picks.

You sign player A for 1 year.

You sign player B for 2 years.

After one year you resign player A.

After two years you resign player B.

But the following season you drafted player C and were stunned enough to sign him to a 1 year deal. Now you cannot resign both player B and C using the rookie resigning/extension. If you wish to keep both you need to dip in to one of your 2 regular resignings.

As for extend/re-sign, that is a debate that has been had before. At that time it was agreed there are no extensions to players with years remaining. The rationale was "owners" had set strategy in place based on no extensions and, also, to ensure there is as much competition and choice in free agency as possible.

Comment

Lets say you have 2 draft picks.

You sign player A for 1 year.

You sign player B for 2 years.

After one year you resign player A.

After two years you resign player B.

But the following season you drafted player C and were stunned enough to sign him to a 1 year deal. Now you cannot resign both player B and C using the rookie resigning/extension. If you wish to keep both you need to dip in to one of your 2 regular resignings.

As for extend/re-sign, that is a debate that has been had before. At that time it was agreed there are no extensions to players with years remaining. The rationale was "owners" had set strategy in place based on no extensions and, also, to ensure there is as much competition and choice in free agency as possible.
                Ok I gotcha. I wasn't thinking 3 years down the road, but that makes sense. Staggering your priority expirings should include rookies once you start factoring in additional drafted players on your roster.

Ok, I didn't see the clarification/debate that ensued. So a firm, only expiring deals for all re-signings. Sounds good to me.

Comment

• I don't care for it, but I can dig it. I need Glen Grunwald to be my cap guy and financial advisor. Can't wait for the draft!!

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                    I don't care for it, but I can dig it. I need Glen Grunwald to be my cap guy and financial advisor. Can't wait for the draft!!
                    You can have Isaiah Thomas. I heard he is available and will work for cheap

Comment

• Congrats to Keeping it Real! Great job all year of being active and diligent in all your management decisions.

I'm in very rough shape for next year. I'm the only team that tried to make moves to win this season, and everything backfired lol . Enjoy your amazing draft pick Mack lol

Comment

• Congrats Keeping it Real! You are a marked man for next year.

And thanks Skywalker, I'm glad i was able to get that out of you. the timing worked out great for me haha.... you did try your best to get it back though.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                          Congrats Keeping it Real! You are a marked man for next year.

And thanks Skywalker, I'm glad i was able to get that out of you. the timing worked out great for me haha.... you did try your best to get it back though.
                          At least let me help you make the pick!! I want to be involved!!!! lol

Comment

• congrats real

Thanks to everybody

Comment

• Congrats to everyone especially our champ.

Don't forget draft is august 1st - send me picks by then via private message.

Resigned free agents and their years by September 1st.

We'll do free agency/auction draft 2 Sundays before season tip off which is generally about 9-10 days before real nba season starts.

Comment

• Couldn't help but notice KiR and jbml finished in the last two spots over in the Keeper. shiiiiiiiit!

Can't believe we have to wait til August for anything new to happen in this league. What the heck am I gonna do to occupy my internet time??? I guess I can root for the Raptors to go as far as possible in the playoffs... that's a small consolation I suppose. And by 'small' I mean 'the biggest ever'!

Comment

Working...
                                X