This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Some clarification if that is OK: the two re-signings you can do each off-season. Do the player's contracts have to be down to 0 years remaining, or can you extend a guy who has 1 year or more remaining on his contract?

i.e. If I have 4 guys with 1 year left, and want to re-sign all of them, could I extend two this summer, then next summer re-sign the other two? Or am I doomed to let two of them walk to free agency (and the bidding auction)?
    Trade em is an option too.

Ideally you need to stagger your best players into pairs. Inevitably you'll have to make a tough choice in some years.

I remember the amount of pages I read when I joined last year was quite the task. It all comes together though.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      You're doomed to let them walk in to free agency.

You can only extend with 0 years remaining.
      At the end of the year you are allowed to two sign players on your roster to an extension for as many years as you want provided you remain under cap. This decision must be made prior to the draft.
      Exception: You will be allowed to additionally re-sign or extend one player on your roster who you drafted as a rookie. [Effective 2013 draft]
      I gave Olynk 2 years.

I interpreted re-sign to be referring to an expired contract
      and extend as to extending an existing contract.

Would that not be consistent with the NBA collective agreement.
      My 2 cents

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
        At the end of the year you are allowed to two sign players on your roster to an extension for as many years as you want provided you remain under cap. This decision must be made prior to the draft.
        Exception: You will be allowed to additionally re-sign or extend one player on your roster who you drafted as a rookie. [Effective 2013 draft]
        I gave Olynk 2 years.

I interpreted re-sign to be referring to an expired contract
        and extend as to extending an existing contract.

Would that not be consistent with the NBA collective agreement.
        My 2 cents
        This is a topic that has been debated a few times.

In the end on those occasions it was decided we can only extend players when their contract is up.

Reasons included:
        - majority originally interpreted that way and planned
        - create more strategy
        - difficult decisions to be made in event of poor planning
        - make free agency more interesting with more difference maker players available.

That is off top of my head. Debates are all there in the old threads.

I think extensions should only be given to players who contracts are up. Again it has been discussed 2-3 times at least and each time it was agreed to keep it at 2 players expired on your roster last season and 1 rookie.

With regards to rookie "extensions" same deal as discussed in past contract must be up to give them new years. Comes back to strategy.
        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Jul 29, 2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          This is a topic that has been debated a few times.

In the end on those occasions it was decided we can only extend players when their contract is up.

Reasons included:
          - majority originally interpreted that way and planned
          - create more strategy
          - difficult decisions to be made in event of poor planning
          - make free agency more interesting with more difference maker players available.

That is off top of my head. Debates are all there in the old threads.

I think extensions should only be given to players who contracts are up. Again it has been discussed 2-3 times at least and each time it was agreed to keep it at 2 players expired on your roster last season and 1 rookie.

With regards to rookie "extensions" same deal as discussed in past contract must be up to give them new years. Comes back to strategy.
          Respectively...
          I am still uncertain as to whether I even would like to extend Olynk this season or not.

I read the debate.
          Olynk's contract years were given on the basis of post #2, at the beginning of the season rather than at the end when the debate was held. I believe my interpretation to be reasonable.

There will always be a need for clarification, less so as we move on. Moving forward where there is room for different interpretations flexibility should be given.

Having said that moving forward I would like to see some penalty of sort to a rookie manager at the draft. ie a rookie manager could not pick up the next Wiggins.

The time spent by some to make this work is much appreciated.

Comment

• soooo how do i see what free agents are out there?
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• god, i hate to be the guy that asks a question that's been answered a bazillion times but i can only resign someone who's at 0 years for a max of 2 years?
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                god, i hate to be the guy that asks a question that's been answered a bazillion times but i can only resign someone who's at 0 years for a max of 2 years?
                No worries man. And no, no max on contract length. Only limited by the cap.

Comment

• so i have oladipo, who's a sophmore now, i can sign him to whatever i want?

where do i do resigning and whatnot? within the thread?

is there a max to how many people i can resign?

is gary forbes available?

whats the salary cap, $$$ wise?
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    so i have oladipo, who's a sophmore now, i can sign him to whatever i want?

where do i do resigning and whatnot? within the thread?

is there a max to how many people i can resign?

is gary forbes available?

whats the salary cap, $$$ wise?
                    You can resign Oladipo as your 2013 draftee for any length of time.

You can also resign 2 players from your team on expired deals. Also for any length of time.

Total cap for your team is 40 years.

Gary Forbes is definitely available.

Free Agent list won't be available until Yahoo is up and running. Best bet is to look at the cap sheet, see who is on expiring deals from each team and assume the 2 best will be resigned.

All resigns get posted to this thread by Sept 1st I believe.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I would also say go to the Main Post on this thread: http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post239725
                      and review the rules listed there. Pretty comprehensive I'd say.

Cap Summary for All teams can be found here:
                      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0Capsheets.pdf
                      This is relatively up to date, minus the recent trade between DanH and Axel.
                      Last edited by Joey; Tue Jul 29, 2014, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• when does the yahoo thinger start working
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Speaking of...
                          Dan H receives Alec Burks and #16 draft pick.

Axel receives Tristan Thompson.

Comment

• To the newbies and potential newbies, I was in your shoes last year. Read the entire Season 1 thread (might have been overkill) and things still come up.

It's a lot to take in, but when it all clicks, it's glorious.... You're my boy Blue.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                              Speaking of...
                              Dan H receives Alec Burks and #16 draft pick.

Axel receives Tristan Thompson.
                              Confirmed that I did actually agree to this deal.

Everyone cool with it?
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
                                Respectively...
                                I am still uncertain as to whether I even would like to extend Olynk this season or not.

I read the debate.
                                Olynk's contract years were given on the basis of post #2, at the beginning of the season rather than at the end when the debate was held. I believe my interpretation to be reasonable.

There will always be a need for clarification, less so as we move on. Moving forward where there is room for different interpretations flexibility should be given.

Having said that moving forward I would like to see some penalty of sort to a rookie manager at the draft. ie a rookie manager could not pick up the next Wiggins.

The time spent by some to make this work is much appreciated.
                                I'm sorry if I came across a bit terse.

It is a conversation that has been had numerous times.... kind of like almost anything Bargnani or DeRozan. I just typed and hit click without a second thought.

I understand better what you were saying. I think there were a couple of people in the same boat and all bit the bullet.

I don't believe the original intent was to be able to sign a rookie early despite the wording.

Comment

Working...
                                X