This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan my wife is envious.

In just a few weeks you've managed to do what she's been attempting for years: suck the fun out of fantasy basketball.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Dan my wife is envious.

In just a few weeks you've managed to do what she's been attempting for years: suck the fun out of fantasy basketball.
      Actually not weeks... Days.

Comment

Dan my wife is envious.

Sorry. If it's no fun discussing this stuff, stop discussing it with me. I have fun with stuff like this, that's why I do it. I assumed someone replying to me would also enjoy it. Just ignore me.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Sorry. If it's no fun discussing this stuff, stop discussing it with me. I have fun with stuff like this, that's why I do it. I assumed someone replying to me would also enjoy it. Just ignore me.
          Sorry dan but you were invited into the league to participate not to change it dramatically.

I'm discussing it because I do not wish to see such drastic changes in a league I've put two years into and two years into my team which is far from a finished product.

Also your proposal is your opinion. My opinion is what we have here with two years working with it is better than yours. The key word in all your arguments is tend. There are notable exceptions. Your system replicates your standard 2nd tier free agents (top 100) who also will most likely never hit free agency in our league. If they do it is poor planning by the owner or adding when over cap. Your league would also see dramatic over pays for fringe players and a constant trip to free agency for your typical mid level players. Our league does a good job rewarding planning and taking calculated risks. You're never going to get a system that emulates the NBA perfectly because it is impossible in fantasyland.

So again if your opinion is your proposal is better go start your own but please stop poking holes in what has been an awesome league for 2 years now.

Comment

• It's like The Simpsons. The reason no one likes Lisa, isn't because she is wrong, or doesn't have a valid point, but it's that people generally don't like to hear how their things are wrong, even in the smallest detail. Lisa never learned to accept things as they are, faults and all.

Now I'm not suggesting that we don't like Dan, but the conversation has long seemed to be like Lisa, answering a question that nobody asked. I think Dan raises some interesting ideas but I personally have zero interest in them.

So let's all move on and prepare for, what I must say, is the single greatest event in the fantasy sports calendar, the Dynasty Free Agent Auction. I will never be in the situation where I can bid $200 on a single player because being less of a player in the auction would sadden me. I'd rather have a worse team and be a player in the auction than win the dynasty season and not be involved.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Sorry dan but you were invited into the league to participate not to change it dramatically.

I'm discussing it because I do not wish to see such drastic changes in a league I've put two years into and two years into my team which is far from a finished product.

Also your proposal is your opinion. My opinion is what we have here with two years working with it is better than yours. The key word in all your arguments is tend. There are notable exceptions. Your system replicates your standard 2nd tier free agents (top 100) who also will most likely never hit free agency in our league. If they do it is poor planning by the owner or adding when over cap. Your league would also see dramatic over pays for fringe players and a constant trip to free agency for your typical mid level players. Our league does a good job rewarding planning and taking calculated risks. You're never going to get a system that emulates the NBA perfectly because it is impossible in fantasyland.

So again if your opinion is your proposal is better go start your own but please stop poking holes in what has been an awesome league for 2 years now.
              Just so we are clear, this whole conversation started when i brought up the subject of "making the waiver budget matter more" (post #727) , which was a reply to a comment made by Joey who was reminding everyone that the unused portion of draft budget carries over into your waiver budget.

Currently, there are 4 ways to get a player on your team (outside of a trade)

The first way is you can draft a player - This player is brand new to the league. There's no 'cash' required to get him, just sign him to as many years as you'd like under the cap. You have this opportunity to have this player on your team because of last season's record and the results of the draft lottery.

The second method by which you can obtain a player through the auction - For us this is public bids system. Everyone can see the bid your are making. You MUST spend cash on to get them on your team, then once again you can assign them years as long as you're under the cap

The 3rd way to acquire a player is when the auction is over, we have the 3 day waiver period. Now you can make 'secret' bids on the remaining free agents. You still must play 'cash' for them, and they must be assigned years under the cap

That brings us to the 4th way you can add a player to your roster. You simply go to the waiver wire, and add the player to your team. Outside of the draft (which is an attempt to give better picks to the teams with the worst records), every other method of adding players to your roster depends on the money that you have.

If the answer to this is no, then it will end the conversation, but is there a way to continually 'repeat' the waiver process that happens in the first 3 days? (Even if it was a 2 day waiver process.) If a player is bid on, he goes to the highest bidder at the end of the current waiver process. If he's not bid on, he simply enters the 2 day waivers again. This way, we have competitive secret bidding happening all year long and waiver budget becomes more meaningful. When you're money is gone, you can no longer acquire the services of any additional players.

Like I said, if this isn't possible, then that ends the conversation. I would simply be interested in seeing a minor tweak that encourages more thought to go into budget and pick ups.

it's a very small tweak. But i am for all players at all times being acquired through 2 means, draft them or pay for them..

Comment

• skywalker wrote: View Post
                Just so we are clear, this whole conversation started when i brought up the subject of "making the waiver budget matter more" (post #727) , which was a reply to a comment made by Joey who was reminding everyone that the unused portion of draft budget carries over into your waiver budget.
                Whoa, whoa, whoa, you're dragging me into this?! Hahah

skywalker wrote:
                Currently, there are 4 ways to get a player on your team (outside of a trade)

The first way is you can draft a player - This player is brand new to the league. There's no 'cash' required to get him, just sign him to as many years as you'd like under the cap. You have this opportunity to have this player on your team because of last season's record and the results of the draft lottery.

The second method by which you can obtain a player through the auction - For us this is public bids system. Everyone can see the bid your are making. You MUST spend cash on to get them on your team, then once again you can assign them years as long as you're under the cap

The 3rd way to acquire a player is when the auction is over, we have the 3 day waiver period. Now you can make 'secret' bids on the remaining free agents. You still must play 'cash' for them, and they must be assigned years under the cap

That brings us to the 4th way you can add a player to your roster. You simply go to the waiver wire, and add the player to your team. Outside of the draft (which is an attempt to give better picks to the teams with the worst records), every other method of adding players to your roster depends on the money that you have.
                You had it up until the 4th. There already is a 2-day Waiver period if a player is Waived from your team.
                During this 2 day period, all managers can make bids (using the same Cash pool utilized during the Draft, and said Post-Draft Roster Retooling Period). Once this Waiver period is over, if bids were placed on said player, then the player goes to the highest bidder, at which point you can sign them to a Multi-year contract (if you have the space) or a 1-Year, Non-Extendable Contract (if you're capped out). If no Bids are placed, then the Player becomes an unrestricted Free Agent, and anyone can pick him up, regardless of your "Cash Pool", however, still under the obvious restrictions of the Cap. Under; Multi-Year, Extendable deal. Over; Single-Season, Non-Extendable deal.

skywalker wrote:
                If the answer to this is no, then it will end the conversation, but is there a way to continually 'repeat' the waiver process that happens in the first 3 days? (Even if it was a 2 day waiver process.) If a player is bid on, he goes to the highest bidder at the end of the current waiver process. If he's not bid on, he simply enters the 2 day waivers again. This way, we have competitive secret bidding happening all year long and waiver budget becomes more meaningful. When you're money is gone, you can no longer acquire the services of any additional players.

Like I said, if this isn't possible, then that ends the conversation. I would simply be interested in seeing a minor tweak that encourages more thought to go into budget and pick ups.
                We CAN, technically, make the Waiver period a Continuous thing, but that's not for me to decide.

I guess I wouldn't be against it.

I would also like to add, that having come late to the party, I don't believe that Dan meant to be "Bashing" or "poking holes" in what we have going here; I think he was just doing what Dan does .. analyze the shit out of things .. which is cool. Just don't expext drastic changes at this point in the game. We're far enough along, and many have made strategic decisions based on major rules in place currently. To change those rules, and deem said strategic moves irrelevant would be unfair and counter productive to the product we are trying to maintain. Which a fun, AWESOME environment, in which guys want to come back year in and year out to see how those decisions they made 3 years ago, are going to pan out.

Changing the Waiver Process to a Continuous, Year Long thing, where bids are required and processed, regardless or time spent on Waivers, is something I don't believe would be a drastic change that would harm anyones current or past decision making. However, I can also completely understand why some might not want to change.
                Last edited by Joey; Sun Aug 31, 2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm glad everyone is in agreement that the current system is great. I tried to make it clear that I agree with that as well, stating it several times to be sure it didn't seem like I was attacking it. Just wanted to present an idea and get thoughts on it. Now I've received the thoughts, we can move on. I for one am very much looking forward to the auction!
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• A continuous auction is doable if that is what everyone wants.

One thing that I would suggest if that a the route to go is that if someone has spent $200 in FA or if after free agency and a few waiver claims someone is left with $0 there has to remain a way to add/drop. This would be the equivalent of adding a player on a minimum contract. An easy fix is you can always make a $1 waiver after the first 3 days of season. If multiple $1 waiver claims are made there is a priority list through yahoo that settles ties.

A second issue, since I'm on my phone for the last few days and the next couple of days and can't check easily, is this possible in yahoo without commissioner(s) always have to activate/deactivate waiver wire? That would be pretty tedious and opens up possibility for errors.

Comment

• "When you're money is gone, you can no longer acquire the services of any additional players."

Skywalkers wrote above. That is what I'm dead set against because you can always add 10 day or minimum contracts.

If you add them over 40 cap years you have no way to keep them and they go into free agency pool for next year.

Comment

A continuous auction is doable if that is what everyone wants.

One thing that I would suggest if that a the route to go is that if someone has spent $200 in FA or if after free agency and a few waiver claims someone is left with $0 there has to remain a way to add/drop. This would be the equivalent of adding a player on a minimum contract. An easy fix is you can always make a $1 waiver after the first 3 days of season. If multiple $1 waiver claims are made there is a priority list through yahoo that settles ties.

A second issue, since I'm on my phone for the last few days and the next couple of days and can't check easily, is this possible in yahoo without commissioner(s) always have to activate/deactivate waiver wire? That would be pretty tedious and opens up possibility for errors.
                        I can answer the first part and that is yahoo does accept $0 bids for waiver claims. So if someone has no money, they can still add but they would always be outbid on a popular player (which seems fair enough).

Not exactly sure on the commish duties to accomplish this.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                          I can answer the first part and that is yahoo does accept $0 bids for waiver claims. So if someone has no money, they can still add but they would always be outbid on a popular player (which seems fair enough).

Not exactly sure on the commish duties to accomplish this.
                          Cool.

That solves all my concerns.

If we have a majority of people who want to make that change I see no reason why we can't implement that this season.....just my opinion.

Comment

• From the links below my take is ....

A waiver time must be set from (0-7 days) after which players on waivers become free agents.

There may be a way to change the waiver period(s) manually but it would take an extreme amount of time. Each player would individually be given an end date. But at some time the waiver period must end or the waiver will never be claimed. I do not think what is discussed here can be done.

Football waivers are different in that they can be set to reactivate waivers each week.

Even if it could be done I would not be in favor of this as per M's reasoning on minimum players and previous strategy. Removing FA's would have an effect on the way I have approached the game and I am still pissed that I could not extend Olynk this season

I am in favor of making changes, we should always tread lightly.......and consideration should always be given on an extended period on implementing such.

|I could easily accept such a change for the 2015 season allowing time to adjust for new improved rules.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/fantasy-ba...pressions=true

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/fantasy-ba...s-sln6931.html

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/fantasy-ba...s-sln6118.html

Comment

• I think in my hockey keeper league, the commish manually resets the waiver period every Sunday so that the 7 day waiver period is just constantly in effect.

Comment

• That may be possible I just had a look at the option in a baseball pool that i perform those duties and it does allow to change a date of anyone currently on waivers. Presently on my list are 6 players. There could be issues if someone cannot meet a deadline for this to be done.

Anyway like i have already said this change would @#$%&* with MY strategy and although i do not disagree I would not be in favor this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X