Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DMar's Post Game = Fool's Gold?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DMar's Post Game = Fool's Gold?

Just posted this on the main page:

We all know DeMar is developing a post game, which I like, and I thought he looked better going at the rim and absorbing contact these days. So I went to NBA.com to check out his shot distribution charts. What did I find? Disappointment.

DeMar's shot attempts at the rim, as a percentage of his total FGA:
    2009-2010: 55.27% (283/512)
    2010-2011: 42.63% (492/1154)
    2011-2012: 34.66% (313/903)
    2012-2013: 32.58% (401/1231)
    2013-2014: 23.94% (17/71)

He actually peaked attacking the basket in terms of total shot distribution as a rookie, and peaked in terms of total attempts at the rim in his 2nd year.

Anyone else surprised by that?

Post Thanks / Like

Should include his FG% at the rim:
    2009/10: 60.07%
    2010/11: 56.91%
    2011/12: 56.23%
    2012/13: 56.11%
    2013/14: 58.82%

Pretty static.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really, his best season was as a rookie because he is nothing but a supporting player, not a 1-2 or even 3rd option

Raptors Republic All-Star consmap's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we should also remember that Demar gets to the FT line from taking the ball to the rim as well. Do his FGAs near the rim also count the free throws he takes as a result of getting fouled near the basket?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote consmap wrote: View Post
    I think we should also remember that Demar gets to the FT line from taking the ball to the rim as well. Do his FGAs near the rim also count the free throws he takes as a result of getting fouled near the basket?
    No - his FTA in years 2-4 stayed very steady at 5 FTA/game, even though he was taking more and more shots away from the rim. So even though he's getting better at drawing fouls, he's attacking less and shooting J's more. It'll be interesting to see how this season pans out.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    No - his FTA in years 2-4 stayed very steady at 5 FTA/game, even though he was taking more and more shots away from the rim. So even though he's getting better at drawing fouls, he's attacking less and shooting J's more. It'll be interesting to see how this season pans out.
    Change "interesting" with "painful" and I agree.

7. Like S.R. liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Change "interesting" with "painful" and I agree.
    It won't be painful for me.

I'd love to see JV and Ross show what they can do.

I'd love to have multiple 1st round picks (going to be hard with how the 'core' is playing).

I'd love to have optimism again.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It won't be painful for me.

I'd love to see JV and Ross show what they can do.

I'd love to have multiple 1st round picks (going to be hard with how the 'core' is playing).

I'd love to have optimism again.
    I meant specifically Demar attacking less and shooting more jumpers. I fear we won't get to see what JV and Ross can do because Demar will be hoisting the long 2s all game. If Demar continues the trend that S.R. pointed out, and he continues to get the bulk of the minutes and touches, then painful is how I would describe it.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I meant specifically Demar attacking less and shooting more jumpers. I fear we won't get to see what JV and Ross can do because Demar will be hoisting the long 2s all game. If Demar continues the trend that S.R. pointed out, and he continues to get the bulk of the minutes and touches, then painful is how I would describe it.
    I would just call it the return of a recurring nightmare of the last few seasons.

lol
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I would just call it the return of a recurring nightmare of the last few seasons.

lol
    I just call it Raptors Basketball.

12. Like mcHAPPY, S.R. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just call it Raptors Basketball.
    Dammit, I waited all summer and we're only five games into the season. I hope serious roster moves happen sooner rather than later - at least there'll be that process to watch and talk about instead of rehashing what these chumps are doing on the floor night in and night out.

The Charlotte Bobcats! Without Al Jefferson! That was horrible.

14. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe off topic but relevant to DD...not too much mention of the quality of shot DD took (which turned out to be the last offensive play in the game last night)...with 27 some secs left. It was good intent/right play....driving to the hoop... but the execution? He got intimidated by Biyombo and did what used to be his mo on such moves....avoid contact and veer away so changing his shot in midair. Of course it was a miss. If ever there was a time not to do this but draw contact and the penalty (possibly a 3 and the lead) was on that shot. There was no foul on that play though I believe the radio guys were hollering for it (DD landed on the floor).

Nitpicking maybe but it's the little things.

16. Like Nilanka, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Maybe off topic but relevant to DD...not too much mention of the quality of shot DD took (which turned out to be the last offensive play in the game last night)...with 27 some secs left. It was good intent/right play....driving to the hoop... but the execution? He got intimidated by Biyombo and did what used to be his mo on such moves....avoid contact and veer away so changing his shot in midair. Of course it was a miss. If ever there was a time not to do this but draw contact and the penalty (possibly a 3 and the lead) was on that shot. There was no foul on that play though I believe the radio guys were hollering for it (DD landed on the floor).

Nitpicking maybe but it's the little things.
    If not for all the tank talk and shock over DC's coaching, I think you're right that the final shot selection would be getting a lot more scrutiny. I thought it was a terrible shot selection. I also thought it was exactly the type of play that the new-and-improved DeRozan was supposed to have moved on from (out of control drive that shied away from contact, hoping to be bailed out by refs). It was an awful play, an awful play call, awful coaching in an absolutely awful game. Sadly, I never expected much more from DeRozan and, when the pressure was on, he once again reverted to his old form. He is what he is.

18. Like OldSkoolCool, Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Annnnnnnd, the replays clearly showed that there was absolutely no foul on the play.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

The shot selection on that last possession was definitely an issue, but in a season with terrible shot selection (by DeRozan, as well as others), I can't really nitpick on 1 single possession.

Poor execution is simply a theme for this team. That's what its identity is.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The shot selection on that last possession was definitely an issue, but in a season with terrible shot selection (by DeRozan, as well as others), I can't really nitpick on 1 single possession.

Poor execution is simply a theme for this team. That's what its identity is.
    What an avatar! I can't believe you found a Simpsons-themed tank.

22. Like Nilanka, Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What an avatar! I can't believe you found a Simpsons-themed tank.
    LOL, I was really tempted to use this one instead:

24. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    LOL, I was really tempted to use this one instead:

LOL - I'd like somebody to photoshop MU's face onto the guy with his pants down, Casey's face onto the tank driver and David Stern's face onto the sarge.

26. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL - I'd like somebody to photoshop MU's face onto the guy with his pants down, Casey's face onto the tank driver and David Stern's face onto the sarge.
    In that case, I suppose Wiggins' face would be on Bart...

28. Like S.R., Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

so many tank avatars lol I slowly feel myself drifting in that direction
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information