17 47.22%
  • Dwight Buycks

7 19.44%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Backup PG?

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Backup PG?

Season is 2 days away and we still have no clue who the backup PG is. If it's up to you, who'd be Lowry's backup?
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

It should be Stone. But it will most likely be Augustin.

3. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't particularly want to vote for any of them at this point, so I won't.

If it were up to me, Augustin would not touch the floor. I'd rather try to develop either Stone or Buycks into a serviceable backup. Augustin has been totally invisible in the minutes he's played.

5. Like ebrian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also though, can everybody start spelling Augustin's name properly? It is NOT Augustine.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like augustin (take that autocorrect!) has shown promise and shown lack of skill. I think he will get at least 7-10 games to discover the tie breaker between those two.

Post Thanks / Like

Augustin will be the backup to start the season. He's the ideal DC player - veteran, calm, not flashy, boring and reliable. I expect Buycks to get playing time, potentially at both guard spots, with Stone eventually earning the backup PG role (if healthy).

9. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Augustin will be the backup to start the season. He's the ideal DC player - veteran, calm, not flashy, boring and reliable. I expect Buycks to get playing time, potentially at both guard spots, with Stone eventually earning the backup PG role (if healthy).
    Actually, i think Stone is the ideal DC PG. Good defensive player, can guard multiple positions, pass first, doesn't force anything offensively.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

11. Like Axel, white men can't jump liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Augustin reminds me so much of Rasual Butler when he was here. He earns the starting spot by having been in the league, but will likely not offer what the guys behind him can (or you know, anything useful at all), and hopefully eventually will in order to displace him from the rotation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Actually, i think Stone is the ideal DC PG. Good defensive player, can guard multiple positions, pass first, doesn't force anything offensively.
    Agreed, hence my prediction he'll wind up earning the backup role. You asked about starting the season though, and I just don't think he's healthy enough to overtake both Buycks and Augustin on the depth-chart... yet.

Had Stone been completely healthy for the full training camp, he would be my pick out of the gate.

As for Buycks, I'm not sold. I see him as a younger, inexperienced Lucas III, with a bit more defense. He'd be 4th on my depth chart once Stone is healthy enough to dress.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, you need to add other to that poll. AND the correct answer is other. MY guess is that the first move is a small one to correct the backup pg situation. DJ is on the decline. Look at his preseason numbers from the past and how they correlate with his seasons... he might just be done. I like Buycks but he needs some seasoning. Also, Stone needs to take his time, properly rehab and maybe add a jumper. The Raps should take their time with him and reap the benefits later.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It will start Augustin and will eventually be Stone.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Buycks has looked bad so far, but he's a rookie with a lot of potential. I'd like to see him get 10 minutes of burn, every night, just to see if he can turn into something. If he hasn't shown he can be a valuable player by mid-december, then maybe bury him at the end of the bench.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Back up has to be Kyle Lowry

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Augustin is the primary backup. I have very little doubt about that.

Stone could one day steal those minutes if he proves to be capable of hitting open jumpers.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be Augustin until someone steals his minutes away

Post Thanks / Like

I can see Augustin as this year's Alan Anderson. Just a hunch.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Also though, can everybody start spelling Augustin's name properly? It is NOT Augustine.
    I know right? lol or just call him DJ, I see how people get confused though its pronounced as "Augustine" Back will be DJ for the first bit of the season though I could see Stone getting spurts remember he isnt exactly healthy guy looks 40% out there and his offensive game is....non existent.

DJ will be primary back up he at the very least has experience and can hit the open catch and shoot 3, simply for that purpose hes back up cant really go with Stone or Buycks right now. Just dont expect DJ to be here longer than this season, hes really just a patch job.

Post Thanks / Like

As an aside:

I am, at this point, not a believe in Kyle Lowry and if he has a hot start I am very much inclined to sell high on him. The problem is: once you get rid of Lowry, where do you go looking for a new PG?

I think Grievis Vasquez would be a perfect fit for the Raptors - someone to feed DeMar, Jonas and Amir the ball, and Sacramento would probably consider trading him given that Isaiah Thomas is making a hell of a case for the starting PG job there. Anybody else got any other ideas?

23. Like caccia liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    As an aside:

I am, at this point, not a believe in Kyle Lowry and if he has a hot start I am very much inclined to sell high on him. The problem is: once you get rid of Lowry, where do you go looking for a new PG?

I think Grievis Vasquez would be a perfect fit for the Raptors - someone to feed DeMar, Jonas and Amir the ball, and Sacramento would probably consider trading him given that Isaiah Thomas is making a hell of a case for the starting PG job there. Anybody else got any other ideas?
    Sacramento has several "serviceable" options at the PG. Heck, I'd give Jimmer a chance if it means that Lowry and Gay are traded.

Houston has Aaron Brooks as their 3rd PG, behind Patrick "Mr. $97" Beverley and Jeremy Lin (order to be determined, as Lin may come off the bench). Brooks could likely be had quite easily.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Augustin at the beginning and Stone taking over by trade deadline seems like a realistic view.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information