• Julyan Stone

17 47.22%
  • Dwight Buycks

7 19.44%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Backup PG?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Augustin at the beginning and Stone taking over by trade deadline seems like a realistic view.
    Stone taking over as the Starter at the deadline is still realistic, making Augustin possibly the back-up all season long.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    It should be Stone. But it will most likely be Augustin.
    Augustin is not a bad choice. He will not try to do too much. I fear Buycks will try to do too much and hurt the team. Stone is an interesting option but DJ is best choice if trying to win right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Sacramento has several "serviceable" options at the PG. Heck, I'd give Jimmer a chance if it means that Lowry and Gay are traded.

Houston has Aaron Brooks as their 3rd PG, behind Patrick "Mr. $97" Beverley and Jeremy Lin (order to be determined, as Lin may come off the bench). Brooks could likely be had quite easily.
    Not Jimmer !! He cannot defend.

Post Thanks / Like

I say come opening night, Augustin will get the run because he's experienced over Stone who's rarely gotten NBA run, and Buycks being a rookie. I would also like to see Augustin get more consistent minutes at the spot as well, just because he's been a starter in this league, played on playoff teams, etc.

I will say though, Buycks and Stone are certainly capable back-ups if Lowry comes down with another injury *knock on wood*.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    And he's not a point guard
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    And he's not a point guard
    But he can shoot and would help out draft position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I can see Augustin as this year's Alan Anderson. Just a hunch.
    I don't think so. Alan Anderson used to try to do too much. That's one thing with DJ, he doesn't try to play outside of himself. That's probably one of the reasons you don't notice him much when he's on the court because he's a more passive player. Buycks tries to do too much at times because he's more aggressive and Stone is just not healthy and has zero offensive game at the moment.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I can see Augustin as this year's Alan Anderson. Just a hunch.
    Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    I don't think so. Alan Anderson used to try to do too much. That's one thing with DJ, he doesn't try to play outside of himself. That's probably one of the reasons you don't notice him much when he's on the court because he's a more passive player. Buycks tries to do too much at times because he's more aggressive and Stone is just not healthy and has zero offensive game at the moment.
    slaw probably meant in terms of Casey's over-reliance on a "veteran" player, despite his limited abilities on the floor.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

@JLew1050: Casey has handed out his annual "role cards". Each player gets 3 copies, one for their pocket, one for their locker, one for their agent

@JLew1050: Casey stopped short of calling the Raps a playoff team but said if they do everything they're supposed to they should be in the conversation

@JLew1050: Casey said Augustin will get first crack at the backup PG position but it will continue to be fluid, Buycks and Stone will be in the mix

Post Thanks / Like

Stone will play the most minutes of the 3 but won't be the backup pg if that makes any sense at all
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Seeing all these threads pop up.. it's only hitting me now how awful are PG situation is right now. I'm praying for Lowry's game to emerge.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star brothersteve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"It has looked like the Raptors backup point guard spot has been D.J. Augustinís to lose since Toronto signed him as a free agent earlier this summer. Augustin is a 5-year veteran with 146 NBA starts under his belt and was the backup point guard on the Eastern Conference Finals Pacers last season. However, Head Coach Dwane Casey has been adamant that the backup spot to starter Kyle Lowry was wide-open and neither Julyan Stone, Dwight Buycks nor Augustin have done anything to change his mind yet." D.J. Augustin: Raptors Backup Point Guard?

I believe the backup job is still Augustin's to lose - preseason doesn't really count. However, based on preseason - I really like Julyan Stone. If Augustin is ineffective - Stone will get his shot at PG.
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

13. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get what happened to DJ. Dude was an average starting PG in Charlotte. Didn't he start over Raymond Felton?
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I don't get what happened to DJ. Dude was an average starting PG in Charlotte. Didn't he start over Raymond Felton?
    Nope...

Ray Felton is a pretty good PG. I'd put him in the Jose ballpark, in terms of you can trust him to run your O, be a team-first guy and decent leader.

Augustin...man, I just don't know what to say. I can't remember the last time I've been so unimpressed with a PG. I'd even rather have Ben Uzoh over him. He plays with "calm". He doesn't try to do to much....because pretty much everything he tries to do is a colossal failure. He's good at holding his dribble at the top and not doing anything, and he's good at shooting 3s on the catch and shoot...which means others have to create for him.

And yes I'm being harsh on him. I will keep being harsh until he either looks like an NBA player, or stops getting minutes.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Nope...

Ray Felton is a pretty good PG. I'd put him in the Jose ballpark, in terms of you can trust him to run your O, be a team-first guy and decent leader.

Augustin...man, I just don't know what to say. I can't remember the last time I've been so unimpressed with a PG. I'd even rather have Ben Uzoh over him. He plays with "calm". He doesn't try to do to much....because pretty much everything he tries to do is a colossal failure. He's good at holding his dribble at the top and not doing anything, and he's good at shooting 3s on the catch and shoot...which means others have to create for him.

And yes I'm being harsh on him. I will keep being harsh until he either looks like an NBA player, or stops getting minutes.
    i mean he started all 82 games for that mediocre bobcats team the year before it was blown up. He's still only 25 so he has a little room to improve. Hopefully he can at least get back to playing like an average pg.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Post Thanks / Like

thats the thing with PGs they are great mediocre or awful. They dont really get better with the exception of Cory Joespeh who is in San Antonio best development program team in the league.

Awful: Carter/Marshall Mediocre: Augustin/Bayless Great: Paul/Rondo

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    thats the thing with PGs they are great mediocre or awful. They dont really get better with the exception of Cory Joespeh who is in San Antonio best development program team in the league.

Awful: Carter/Marshall Mediocre: Augustin/Bayless Great: Paul/Rondo
    Dude....just off the top of my head from the recent past: Mike Conley, Chauncey Billups, Goran Dragic, Steve Fucking Nash...do I need to go on?

Okay, I will: Sam Cassell, Brevin Knight, Terrell Brandon, Muggsy Bogues. I'm sure if I gave it another 2 minutes thought I could come up with 10 more. Point guards are the most likely players to need a few years before they really "get it". Very few come into the league fully ready to lead an NBA offense.
    Last edited by tkfu; Wed Oct 30th, 2013 at 05:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

well I was talking about currently playing and not going to list them all lol just examples.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default backup point guard

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Season is 2 days away and we still have no clue who the backup PG is. If it's up to you, who'd be Lowry's backup?
    At this stage kL should probably start BUT on a short leash because last year and this year he has been a poor distributor as he showed last night with 4 yes 4 assists in the first half ,for the entire team. This is totally unacceptable if the team expects to win more than they lose. We may not know by Christmas or Easter who the backup will be because they all have special skills and will likely show MORE growth than KL during the season. This in the long run is a unique plus that few if any other team has. This is not a problem as many impatient writers imply. In order to grow they need more playing time. D Buycks has more upside thanany of the Pgs including KL in shooting and speed. The only thing he needs is experience ie playing time. This is crucial for the future because the GM IS NOT going to offer KL with his score first mentality and unfocused defense an expensive long term contract which is what he has said he wants. To maximize his worth and not just let him walk he is almost for sure likely to be traded for other assets. STEVE FISHER

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Make stone the primary back up already!

Stone: 4 games, 28 minutes, 18.2 PER, 17.1 Assist%, 163 ORtg, 110 DRtg, 100 eFG%
    (per 36 minutes) 12.9 points, 2.6 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 1.3 turnovers

Buycks: 3 games, 28 minutes, 8.4 PER, 11.4 Assist%, 97 ORtg, 104 DRtg, 50 eFG%
    (per 36 minutes) 10.3 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 2.6 turnovers

Augustin: 7 games, 71 minutes, -1.1 PER, 14.8 Assists%, 67 ORtg, 109 DRtg, 23.8 eFG%
    (per 36 minutes) 8.1 points, 1.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 4.1 turnovers
    Small sample but, men lie women lie, numbers don't.
    @Chr1st1anL

22. Like KazanTheMan liked this post

Thread Information