Backup PG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup PG?

Season is 2 days away and we still have no clue who the backup PG is. If it's up to you, who'd be Lowry's backup?
    DJ Augustine
    33.33%
    Julyan Stone
    47.22%
    Dwight Buycks
    19.44%
    Mamba Mentality

It should be Stone. But it will most likely be Augustin.

Comment

I don't particularly want to vote for any of them at this point, so I won't.

If it were up to me, Augustin would not touch the floor. I'd rather try to develop either Stone or Buycks into a serviceable backup. Augustin has been totally invisible in the minutes he's played.

Comment

Also though, can everybody start spelling Augustin's name properly? It is NOT Augustine.

Comment

It sounds like augustin (take that autocorrect!) has shown promise and shown lack of skill. I think he will get at least 7-10 games to discover the tie breaker between those two.

Comment

Augustin will be the backup to start the season. He's the ideal DC player - veteran, calm, not flashy, boring and reliable. I expect Buycks to get playing time, potentially at both guard spots, with Stone eventually earning the backup PG role (if healthy).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Augustin will be the backup to start the season. He's the ideal DC player - veteran, calm, not flashy, boring and reliable. I expect Buycks to get playing time, potentially at both guard spots, with Stone eventually earning the backup PG role (if healthy).
              Actually, i think Stone is the ideal DC PG. Good defensive player, can guard multiple positions, pass first, doesn't force anything offensively.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Augustin reminds me so much of Rasual Butler when he was here. He earns the starting spot by having been in the league, but will likely not offer what the guys behind him can (or you know, anything useful at all), and hopefully eventually will in order to displace him from the rotation.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                  Actually, i think Stone is the ideal DC PG. Good defensive player, can guard multiple positions, pass first, doesn't force anything offensively.
                  Agreed, hence my prediction he'll wind up earning the backup role. You asked about starting the season though, and I just don't think he's healthy enough to overtake both Buycks and Augustin on the depth-chart... yet.

Had Stone been completely healthy for the full training camp, he would be my pick out of the gate.

As for Buycks, I'm not sold. I see him as a younger, inexperienced Lucas III, with a bit more defense. He'd be 4th on my depth chart once Stone is healthy enough to dress.

Comment

Sorry, you need to add other to that poll. AND the correct answer is other. MY guess is that the first move is a small one to correct the backup pg situation. DJ is on the decline. Look at his preseason numbers from the past and how they correlate with his seasons... he might just be done. I like Buycks but he needs some seasoning. Also, Stone needs to take his time, properly rehab and maybe add a jumper. The Raps should take their time with him and reap the benefits later.

Comment

It will start Augustin and will eventually be Stone.

Comment

Buycks has looked bad so far, but he's a rookie with a lot of potential. I'd like to see him get 10 minutes of burn, every night, just to see if he can turn into something. If he hasn't shown he can be a valuable player by mid-december, then maybe bury him at the end of the bench.

Comment

Back up has to be Kyle Lowry

Comment

Augustin is the primary backup. I have very little doubt about that.

Stone could one day steal those minutes if he proves to be capable of hitting open jumpers.

Comment

Should be Augustin until someone steals his minutes away

Comment

Working...
                              X