No announcement yet.

Backup PG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Seeing all these threads pop up.. it's only hitting me now how awful are PG situation is right now. I'm praying for Lowry's game to emerge.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

"It has looked like the Raptors backup point guard spot has been D.J. Augustin’s to lose since Toronto signed him as a free agent earlier this summer. Augustin is a 5-year veteran with 146 NBA starts under his belt and was the backup point guard on the Eastern Conference Finals Pacers last season. However, Head Coach Dwane Casey has been adamant that the backup spot to starter Kyle Lowry was wide-open and neither Julyan Stone, Dwight Buycks nor Augustin have done anything to change his mind yet." D.J. Augustin: Raptors Backup Point Guard?

I believe the backup job is still Augustin's to lose - preseason doesn't really count. However, based on preseason - I really like Julyan Stone. If Augustin is ineffective - Stone will get his shot at PG.
      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

I don't get what happened to DJ. Dude was an average starting PG in Charlotte. Didn't he start over Raymond Felton?

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          I don't get what happened to DJ. Dude was an average starting PG in Charlotte. Didn't he start over Raymond Felton?
          Nope...

Ray Felton is a pretty good PG. I'd put him in the Jose ballpark, in terms of you can trust him to run your O, be a team-first guy and decent leader.

Augustin...man, I just don't know what to say. I can't remember the last time I've been so unimpressed with a PG. I'd even rather have Ben Uzoh over him. He plays with "calm". He doesn't try to do to much....because pretty much everything he tries to do is a colossal failure. He's good at holding his dribble at the top and not doing anything, and he's good at shooting 3s on the catch and shoot...which means others have to create for him.

And yes I'm being harsh on him. I will keep being harsh until he either looks like an NBA player, or stops getting minutes.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Nope...

Ray Felton is a pretty good PG. I'd put him in the Jose ballpark, in terms of you can trust him to run your O, be a team-first guy and decent leader.

Augustin...man, I just don't know what to say. I can't remember the last time I've been so unimpressed with a PG. I'd even rather have Ben Uzoh over him. He plays with "calm". He doesn't try to do to much....because pretty much everything he tries to do is a colossal failure. He's good at holding his dribble at the top and not doing anything, and he's good at shooting 3s on the catch and shoot...which means others have to create for him.

And yes I'm being harsh on him. I will keep being harsh until he either looks like an NBA player, or stops getting minutes.
            i mean he started all 82 games for that mediocre bobcats team the year before it was blown up. He's still only 25 so he has a little room to improve. Hopefully he can at least get back to playing like an average pg.

Comment

thats the thing with PGs they are great mediocre or awful. They dont really get better with the exception of Cory Joespeh who is in San Antonio best development program team in the league.

Awful: Carter/Marshall Mediocre: Augustin/Bayless Great: Paul/Rondo

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                thats the thing with PGs they are great mediocre or awful. They dont really get better with the exception of Cory Joespeh who is in San Antonio best development program team in the league.

Awful: Carter/Marshall Mediocre: Augustin/Bayless Great: Paul/Rondo
                Dude....just off the top of my head from the recent past: Mike Conley, Chauncey Billups, Goran Dragic, Steve Fucking Nash...do I need to go on?

Okay, I will: Sam Cassell, Brevin Knight, Terrell Brandon, Muggsy Bogues. I'm sure if I gave it another 2 minutes thought I could come up with 10 more. Point guards are the most likely players to need a few years before they really "get it". Very few come into the league fully ready to lead an NBA offense.
                Last edited by tkfu; Wed Oct 30, 2013, 05:17 AM.

Comment

well I was talking about currently playing and not going to list them all lol just examples.

Comment

backup point guard

TRex wrote: View Post
                    Season is 2 days away and we still have no clue who the backup PG is. If it's up to you, who'd be Lowry's backup?
                    At this stage kL should probably start BUT on a short leash because last year and this year he has been a poor distributor as he showed last night with 4 yes 4 assists in the first half ,for the entire team. This is totally unacceptable if the team expects to win more than they lose. We may not know by Christmas or Easter who the backup will be because they all have special skills and will likely show MORE growth than KL during the season. This in the long run is a unique plus that few if any other team has. This is not a problem as many impatient writers imply. In order to grow they need more playing time. D Buycks has more upside thanany of the Pgs including KL in shooting and speed. The only thing he needs is experience ie playing time. This is crucial for the future because the GM IS NOT going to offer KL with his score first mentality and unfocused defense an expensive long term contract which is what he has said he wants. To maximize his worth and not just let him walk he is almost for sure likely to be traded for other assets. STEVE FISHER

Comment

Make stone the primary back up already!

Stone: 4 games, 28 minutes, 18.2 PER, 17.1 Assist%, 163 ORtg, 110 DRtg, 100 eFG%
                      (per 36 minutes) 12.9 points, 2.6 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 1.3 turnovers

Buycks: 3 games, 28 minutes, 8.4 PER, 11.4 Assist%, 97 ORtg, 104 DRtg, 50 eFG%
                      (per 36 minutes) 10.3 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 2.6 turnovers

Augustin: 7 games, 71 minutes, -1.1 PER, 14.8 Assists%, 67 ORtg, 109 DRtg, 23.8 eFG%
                      (per 36 minutes) 8.1 points, 1.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 4.1 turnovers
                      Small sample but, men lie women lie, numbers don't.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Even though the sample size 7 games into the regular season is small, Stone has mostly looked pretty good on the court and his stats are far superior to Buycks or Augustin.

Stone: 4 games, 28 minutes, 18.2 PER, 17.1 Assist%, 163 ORtg, 110 DRtg, 100 eFG%
                        (per 36 minutes) 12.9 points, 2.6 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 1.3 turnovers

Buycks: 3 games, 28 minutes, 8.4 PER, 11.4 Assist%, 97 ORtg, 104 DRtg, 50 eFG%
                        (per 36 minutes) 10.3 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 2.6 turnovers

Augustin: 7 games, 71 minutes, -1.1 PER, 14.8 Assists%, 67 ORtg, 109 DRtg, 23.8 eFG%
                        (per 36 minutes) 8.1 points, 1.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 4.1 turnovers

Case for Julyan Stone

Augustin has been bad - he's looked bad, but -1.1 PER & more turnovers than assists bad... time for a change!

Small sample size, but Stone has been getting better with each opportunity - plus Stone & Ross have some chemistry going on
                        The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Julyan stone has stick man legs tho. Jeez have y'all seen those?

Comment

Good thing he doesn't pass with his feet.

Comment

So does Kevin Durant.
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Dwight Buycks for back defends, runs offense and is a scoring threat.

Id rather have a jack of trades PG than a guy that

Only defends with no offense and limited dribble with bad legs...
                                a guy only looks for others no offense besides a catch and shoot 3 and no defense whatsoever...

#BackUpBuycks

Comment

Working...
                                X