Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anonymous GM Admits to Tanking Plan: Masai.. is that you?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anonymous GM Admits to Tanking Plan: Masai.. is that you?

Found this article on ESPN pretty incredible in that this is coming from an angle we've never heard before... directly from the GM ... Is this Masai talking?

Quote Anonymous GM wrote:
    Our team isn't good enough to win and we know it. So this season we want to develop and evaluate our young players, let them learn from their mistakes -- and get us in position to grab a great player. The best way for us to do that is to lose a lot of games. This draft is loaded. There are potential All-Stars at the top, maybe even franchise changers. Sometimes my job is to understand the value of losing.
    So far, could be applied to the Raps.

I know that sounds crazy, but if you're an NBA general manager like me, the last place you want to be is in the middle. There are only two outcomes there: Either make the playoffs and be first-round fodder for one of the premier teams or miss the playoffs and pick somewhere around 11th to 14th in the draft. Either way, the odds are that you stay in that middle range. It's a recipe for disaster.
    Still relevant....

You need superstars to compete in this league, and the playing field for those guys is tilted toward a few big-market teams. They are demanding trades and getting together and deciding where they want to go in free agency. It's tough for us to compete with that. So a high lottery pick is all we have.
    Still relevant... Lol

How do you pull it off? First, you talk it over with ownership. I analyzed the team and told them what I wanted to do, the guys I wanted to get rid of and the guys with future value whom we wanted to keep. We obviously traded away some of our veteran guys who gave us a better chance of winning right now for future draft picks and young players. The owners didn't want to tread water any more than I did. They'd rather go down to the bottom with the hope of coming up, so they signed off on it. It wasn't a fight at all. In a different season, it might not make sense, but this draft certainly makes it more appealing.

Our coach understands that too. It's no secret what we're trying to do, and you can't lie to him anyway or you'll lose all trust. We never really had to tell him, because the handwriting is on the wall. He knows exactly what's going on, and he's good with it. What's hard is keeping it from the players. If you took a poll in all 30 locker rooms, regardless of how the roster looks, I bet they'd all say they are a playoff team. That's good, because you want them to play with effort and lose organically. You never tell the players not to try to win a game, but it's obvious that you're putting out a team that's just not good enough to win.
    Masai... is that you?

We're not alone. Look at the 76ers. Since the draft in June, I don't think they've signed a player or made a trade to add a legitimate player. A bunch of us realize that our teams aren't good enough talentwise to do anything. You're going to be bad. There's no way around it. And even if you finish 0-82, there's still a 75 percent chance you don't get the No. 1 pick. We're just going to take our lumps and hope our number gets called.

Thanks for the warning MU....

Source
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, not him.

3. Like Buyckshot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta be Phoenix.

No way it's Toronto. We haven't moved any vets and have very few "young guys to evaluate" that will play a lot.
    F*ck Brooklyn

5. Like japetas liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not Masai based on this:

We obviously traded away some of our veteran guys who gave us a better chance of winning right now for future draft picks and young players.
    The only guy he traded away would never, by keeping, result in wins.

My guess is Phoenix or Boston.

This is key:

This draft is loaded. There are potential All-Stars at the top, maybe even franchise changers.
    I think if you get a top 8 pick in this draft you are going to do very well assuming you are a good evaluator of talent and all the intangibles.

Nice find, Joey.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

7. Like LBF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd scrap Boston from the "develop and evaluate our young players" line too. They don't have a lot of youth, Olynyk, and Sullinger mostly. More like they have a lot of vets they want to deal away, K-Hump, Wallace, Bass, Rondo (?)
    F*ck Brooklyn

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

So Phoenix, maybe Utah?

Post Thanks / Like

Sixers?
    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

11. Like LBF liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to say Phoenix or Philadelphia

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, probably not Masai given how vague he's been since signing in Toronto. In addition to the reasons provided above, it seems unlikely he'd all-of-a-sudden remove his self-imposed gag order and speak candidly about his vision of the Raptors.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Although it could easily apply to the Raptors (if Bargnani is "veteran players"), I think Phoenix makes the most sense.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys probably didn't read the thread:
    "We're not alone. Look at the 76ers."

It's not the Sixers, I'm going with Utah and Phoenix as well, though had Boston in mind till Axel brought up his argument. "Trading bigs" was the biggest clue for choosing Suns and Jazz.
    #FREE

Raptors Republic Superstar rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    You guys probably didn't read the thread:
    "We're not alone. Look at the 76ers."

It's not the Sixers, I'm going with Utah and Phoenix as well, though had Boston in mind till Axel brought up his argument. "Trading bigs" was the biggest clue for choosing Suns and Jazz.
    Reverse psychology.

17. Like LBF liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Danny Ainge, Boston.

The way the GM talks about the 76ers doing the same thing it's like he is referring to a division rival.

19. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not Philly....since the GM makes direct reference to them in the last paragraph.

PHX, Utah and Boston are all possibilities.

To Axel, Boston has quite a bit of "young talent". You say just Olynyk and Sullinger....but what about Avery Bradley, Jordan Crawford, Phil Pressey, Vitor Faverani, MarShon Brooks. Not exactly stacked with future all-stars, but a lot of young players who they won't mind evaluating to see if any are worth keeping on even as role players.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Oct 29th, 2013 at 01:58 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, who cares who it is? Let's just hope that MU joins them or can use the tanking teams to his advantage and get some good talent on the cheap.

Please, oh please if you aren't going to tank then get us Rondo!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    It's not Philly....since the GM makes direct reference to them in the last paragraph.

PHX, Utah and Boston are all possibilities.

To Axel, Boston has quite a bit of "young" talent. You say just Olynyk and Sullinger....but what about Avery Bradley, Jordan Crawford, Phil Pressey, Vitor Faverani, MarShon Brooks. Not exactly stacked with future all-stars, but a lot of young players who they won't mind evaluating to see if any are worth keeping on even as role players.
    Bradley is going to his 4th year with the team, I don't think a GM who has had that player for 4 years would make that comment, it sounds like a new GM to me.

Crawford, 5th year.

I dunno, the whole thing sounds like a new GM to me. Ainge has a better handle on who is on the team, since he acquired them all. Sounds more like someone coming in and evaluating previously acquired "youngsters"
    F*ck Brooklyn

Post Thanks / Like

90% sure that this is Phoenix.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    90% sure that this is Phoenix.
    Speaking of Phoenix and collecting young assets, I wonder why they gave up on Marshall so quickly. I remember just a year ago, there was an article on the main page discussing Lillard and Marshall (pre-draft) as if both could become great NBA players.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Speaking of Phoenix and collecting young assets, I wonder why they gave up on Marshall so quickly. I remember just a year ago, there was an article on the main page discussing Lillard and Marshall (pre-draft) as if both could become great NBA players.
    Marshall was fairly awful last year. Couldn't shoot, couldn't defend, not overly athletic, and his passing (his #1 skill) was over-rated at the draft.
    F*ck Brooklyn

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Bradley is going to his 4th year with the team, I don't think a GM who has had that player for 4 years would make that comment, it sounds like a new GM to me.

Crawford, 5th year.

I dunno, the whole thing sounds like a new GM to me. Ainge has a better handle on who is on the team, since he acquired them all. Sounds more like someone coming in and evaluating previously acquired "youngsters"
    But Bradley is the only one of those guys who's been with the Celtics awhile. And well, they still expect growth from him, so I'd say he's a young player. And other than him, Ainge would not have seen most of these guys play every day, which is an entirely different perspective when evaluating. It's still a young team by NBA standards...they have 3 rookies and 4 guys who have at most 3 previous years experience (including Crawford, who you must have misread his career stats or something, because it's his 4th year). That's 7 guys who are basically on their first NBA contracts.

To me it actually doesn't sound like a new GM. The way he talks about approaching ownership on the issue, it very much sounded like a guy who had an established position with his team. Like he wasn't pitching his position to get the job, more just to make sure ownership was on the same page.

And then it sounds more to me like it's a new coach. Because you usually don't keep an old coach around when you start to tank. And with Boston, Stevens has a long contract that ensures he'll survive a 2-3 year losing cycle.

Boston makes perfect sense to me. They traded away veterans that could easily have kept them in the playoffs (and thus a treadmill team) for young players and picks. Can't say the same about PHX, Utah, or even Philly, who all could have kept their teams together and still tanked. They have a new coach who got an uncharacteristically long contract for a first time head coach , or in other words, a long enough contract to go through a cycle of tanking before really building toward winning.

How do you pull it off? First, you talk it over with ownership. I analyzed the team and told them what I wanted to do, the guys I wanted to get rid of and the guys with future value whom we wanted to keep. We obviously traded away some of our veteran guys who gave us a better chance of winning right now for future draft picks and young players. The owners didn't want to tread water any more than I did. They'd rather go down to the bottom with the hope of coming up, so they signed off on it. It wasn't a fight at all. In a different season, it might not make sense, but this draft certainly makes it more appealing.

Our coach understands that too. It's no secret what we're trying to do, and you can't lie to him anyway or you'll lose all trust. We never really had to tell him, because the handwriting is on the wall. He knows exactly what's going on, and he's good with it. What's hard is keeping it from the players. If you took a poll in all 30 locker rooms, regardless of how the roster looks, I bet they'd all say they are a playoff team. That's good, because you want them to play with effort and lose organically. You never tell the players not to try to win a game, but it's obvious that you're putting out a team that's just not good enough to win.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Oct 29th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.

Thread Information