Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anonymous GM Admits to Tanking Plan: Masai.. is that you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Danny Ainge, Boston.

The way the GM talks about the 76ers doing the same thing it's like he is referring to a division rival.
    Or maybe a gm who recently worked for division rival philly: Phoenix

Comment

Philly. The gm spoke on condition he could insert that last quotation!

Comment

Mundy wrote: View Post
        Sixers?
        Nope coz he referenced the Sixers.

Im guessing it's McDonough since he's the newest in the league.

Cant be Ainge coz Ainge talks with a swagger and a God-complex.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          95% sure that's the Phoenix GM. They just traded their big in Gortat for young players and draft pick. In fact it's entirely possible that they interviewed him about that trade and he passed along these quotes under the condition of anonymity.

And really, good on him to say things like that because of the reality that he is facing. For him to say it out loud is risky but it's the truth.
          The reason I have trouble believing PHX is that they haven't actually gotten significantly worse despite shedding Gortat, and earlier on, Scola. They were a bad team last year. They were never going to be a treadmill team even if they kept all their veterans. They were farther from being a playoff team than Philly. Philly could've been a treadmill team had they kept Holiday and tried to build off last year. Same with Boston if they kept Garnett and Pierce. And maybe same with Utah if they had resigned one or both of Jefferson/Millsap.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
            When I first read the article, I gotta say that my initial reaction was that this whole thing could have been made up by the writer.
            lol, no shit. A newbie to ESPN, hired as a college basketball insider, same spot he also was bouncing from Foxsports, to cbssports, is the guy that some "anonymous NBA GM" chose to trust enough to blurt this out??? Suspicious at best,,,, but the guy's getting attention/hits, the ESPN motto.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
              When I first read the article, I gotta say that my initial reaction was that this whole thing could have been made up by the writer.
              It certainly is odd that a GM would say this for the record (even with anonimity).

Still, you never know. People get going and they say all sorts of crap they probably shouldn't.....

Comment

The other really weird thing about this article: it's just one continuous rant from the "GM", without even a single word from the "writer" to frame it. I've never seen any article that was purporting to be an interview formatted like that; not in sports, or music, or movies...

Not that that necessarily means anything- but it's weird.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Probably Phoenix. Makes sense that a first year GM like McDonough who's primarily been in a head college scout role in his previous job would be comfortable talking to a primarily NCAA reporter guy like Goodman. Seems like Goodman is Boston-based too, so that's another connection between him and McDonough.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                    Probably Phoenix. Makes sense that a first year GM like McDonough who's primarily been in a head college scout role in his previous job would be comfortable talking to a primarily NCAA reporter guy like Goodman. Seems like Goodman is Boston-based too, so that's another connection between him and McDonough.
                    Again, the trouble with PHX, is that have they really changed direction? They've been tanking since last year and everyone knew it. This interview, assuming it's real, sounds like it's on a team that has obviously changed direction. To me, that sounds more liek Boston, Utah or Philly (who we assume it's not because PHilly is mentioned).

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Again, the trouble with PHX, is that have they really changed direction? They've been tanking since last year and everyone knew it. This interview, assuming it's real, sounds like it's on a team that has obviously changed direction. To me, that sounds more liek Boston, Utah or Philly (who we assume it's not because PHilly is mentioned).
                      McDonough was hired on May 13th, 2013.
                      http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...183916346.html

He replaced Lance Blanks was hired in 2010. Blanks didn't do a great job running the team and the decisions he made heading in to 2012-13 were awful (from Marshall to Beasley to Lindsey Hunter to fighting with Jermaine O'Neal).

Phoenix didn't tank intentionally last year. They were AWFUL on so many levels that they were naturally bad. Now Blanks is gone, McDonough is in and he is taking a bad team and keeping it bad as he unloads contracts for assets.

Comment

It's "Anonymous" you don't even know that it's from a GM. Just because it says that..doesn't mean it to be true.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Based on those comments. I would say no.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

It just doesn't sound like something Masai would say. The quotes are pretty aggressive.. unless the anonymity gave him more courage to come out directly like that, I wouldn't bet on it.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Although I hope Masai calculates the value of losing, I can't imagine he's the source of this article. Why ruin his mystique?
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                The reason I have trouble believing PHX is that they haven't actually gotten significantly worse despite shedding Gortat, and earlier on, Scola. They were a bad team last year. They were never going to be a treadmill team even if they kept all their veterans. They were farther from being a playoff team than Philly. Philly could've been a treadmill team had they kept Holiday and tried to build off last year. Same with Boston if they kept Garnett and Pierce. And maybe same with Utah if they had resigned one or both of Jefferson/Millsap.
                                You could be right. Honestly I don't follow Phoenix, Philly, Boston or Utah that closely. I only have time for the Raptors, so what I did for research on my guess was to go into RealGM and check the team forums for every GM I suspected. Not surprisingly, nearly every one of the "suspects" had a thread about that article and Phoenix seemed like the only forum where everyone was in agreement that it was probably their own GM.
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X