Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors starting 5 among the top 5 in the league

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/...sis-miami-heat

Now if the bench would only provide a little bit of productivity.....

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/...sis-miami-heat

Now if the bench would only provide a little bit of productivity.....
    Is that James Johnson where Amir should be? It even kinda looks like Joey Graham...

Even though I'm all about Riggin' for Wiggins, we at least owe it to ourselves to see if this weirdo stat of them being a top 5 5 man unit was an outlier, or legitimate.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      Even though I'm all about Riggin' for Wiggins, we at least owe it to ourselves to see if this weirdo stat of them being a top 5 5 man unit was an outlier, or legitimate.
      I agree. The first 15-20 games will be enough for us to know if this lineup is the real deal, or possibly the real deal but in need of tweaking, or something to tear down.

Comment

Jack Armstrong mentioned that if this team wants to be in the playoffs, the starting five will have to log 75+ games of 38+ minutes. If they can pull it off, they could be a number 6 seed.

If anyone other than Hansborough, Novak and (insert terrible backup PG here) gets significant minutes this year -- because of Casey or because of injury -- things will get messy.

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post
          Jack Armstrong mentioned that if this team wants to be in the playoffs, the starting five will have to log 75+ games of 38+ minutes. If they can pull it off, they could be a number 6 seed.

If anyone other than Hansborough, Novak and (insert terrible backup PG here) gets significant minutes this year -- because of Casey or because of injury -- things will get messy.
          That threshold sounds virtually impossible. At most, JV will be playing ~32 minutes a game. Amir has never played more than 30MPG in his career. Lowry has had a lot of freak injuries. Gay is fairly durable and Derozan is pretty much made of iron but that's a lot of minutes....

Comment

Come on, give Q some love!
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              That threshold sounds virtually impossible. At most, JV will be playing ~32 minutes a game. Amir has never played more than 30MPG in his career. Lowry has had a lot of freak injuries. Gay is fairly durable and Derozan is pretty much made of iron but that's a lot of minutes....
              Not saying it's going to happen (one can hope...). But I do think that if more than 3 members of our bench start to log significant minutes (i.e. more than 15 a game) we're probably doomed.

So yeah. We're probably doomed.

Comment

Not saying it's going to happen (one can hope...). But I do think that if more than 3 members of our bench start to log significant minutes (i.e. more than 15 a game) we're probably doomed.

So yeah. We're probably doomed.
                Both Novak and Hansbrough are capable NBA players. They aren't going to light the world on fire but they can both give you ~20 MPG. Fields was once a capable NBA player and, if he's healthy, he can contribute. They need one of the PGs to play well.

The bench isn't great but I'm not sure it's the self-destruct button people think it is. Thing is, you can't throw them out there together. You have to use them judiciously. If Gay, Derozan and Val are all on the bench at the same time, it will be disastrous. Casey needs to do a better job with the rotation than he did last year. But they have the bodies to throw in there if they are used wisely.

Comment

Both Novak and Hansbrough are capable NBA players. They aren't going to light the world on fire but they can both give you ~20 MPG. Fields was once a capable NBA player and, if he's healthy, he can contribute. They need one of the PGs to play well.

The bench isn't great but I'm not sure it's the self-destruct button people think it is. Thing is, you can't throw them out there together. You have to use them judiciously. If Gay, Derozan and Val are all on the bench at the same time, it will be disastrous. Casey needs to do a better job with the rotation than he did last year. But they have the bodies to throw in there if they are used wisely.
                  I agree with you completely. The bench isn't THAT bad. They just can NEVER have the whole bench on the floor at the same time unless we are blowing out a team.
                  I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Yes, the Toronto Raptors had one of the best lineups in the league last season. Yes, this is the only lineup included that didn't make the playoffs. Yes, I also had a double take and even refreshed my page (twice) to make sure the data was accurate.
                    LOOOOOOL xD i just did that
                    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

If Lowry or JV go down, we're doomed. I don't think we can get away with a small line-up like Miami can (with Bosh on the bench). And all 3 of our back-up pg's scare me for different reasons. If the Pacers can play their starting 5 an insane amount of minutes, hopefully we can too.

Looking forward to the season starting.
                      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                        If Lowry or JV go down, we're doomed. I don't think we can get away with a small line-up like Miami can (with Bosh on the bench). And all 3 of our back-up pg's scare me for different reasons. If the Pacers can play their starting 5 an insane amount of minutes, hopefully we can too.

Well, Dwane Casey always talks about how he wants the team to be built like the Pacers so... I guess he somewhat got his wish? Lol
                        OG is our king

Comment

Agreed on the bench not being as terrible as they're made out to be.

And agreed on Casey using his bench to compliment his starters. There should never be more than 3 bench guys on the floor together....ever (something else Jack Armstrong eluded to).

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post

Agreed. Just have to avoid injuries.

Comment

I would be very interested to see what is on some of those cards that Coach Casey has handed out to his players (and their agents)!

We'll see how things go this week, but judging from preseason games, at least one starter will remain on the court while the bench players are in. Right now, it looks like: Hansbrough at centre, Novak at power forward, Fields at small forward, and a point guard to be named later. Ross will get some burn, but that is a nine-man rotation right there.

One main concern I have is that Hansbrough should be playing with a centre, whether Johnson, Valanciunas, or Gray, not as the centre. He and Novak have hardly played together due to the latter's thumb injury. A second concern is that the point guard problem needs to be solved very quickly! I agree that extended minutes for Lowry is a good idea, given his history of injuries.
                              Last edited by caccia; Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X