Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Game #1: Boston Celtics 87 - Toronto Raptors 93 (F)

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Not made, took. 9 of 18 shots were longer twos, of which he only hit 3. 33% is pretty bad. And as many would point out, if you're going to take long shots and shot in the low 30s, you may as well step out further and shoot from 3pt distance, even at a slightly lower %.

*Also Bosh tends to take them when he's open. Gay shot a lot of his with a defender right in his face.
    Maybe in Miami he takes open ones but in Toronto he took his fair share of contested midrange shots.
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    People need to stop putting the poor game on Raptors and give more credit to Brad Stevens. He saw how DD destroyed his SG in the post when they played in Preseason so he decided to start two small Forwards. Not just any two small forward. Ones that are known for their defense. For once DD was over match physically at his position. Which negated his post games. I also feel that he didn't get his share of calls.
    Very true. And this Celtics team will clearly have a focus on perimeter D with Wallace, Green and Bradley likely to play heavy minutes. Which again just irks me because Casey didn't design the game to really attack them inside. I don't care about calling plays for Jonas. Call plays for anybody to attack the basket. If it wasn't for offensive boards and Fields' cuts to the basket, we'd have had very little happening down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe in Miami he takes open ones but in Toronto he took his fair share of contested midrange shots.
    Not really. Bosh was so quick that his defender would almost always give him enough space to shoot. THe problem is he had that stupid tendency to pump-fake 46 times before shooting...which was also a tell (like in poker). You knew once Bosh pump-faked more than once that there was like a 95% chance that he'd settle for the jumper so the defender could close in a bit.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

People need to stop putting the poor game on Raptors and give more credit to Brad Stevens. He saw how DD destroyed his SG in the post when they played in Preseason so he decided to start two small Forwards. Not just any two small forward. Ones that are known for their defense. For once DD was over match physically at his position. Which negated his post games. I also feel that he didn't get his share of calls.
    Getting over-matched, out-coached, and out-played by supposed inferior talent are exactly the issues so many are frustrated with.

It was just the first regular season game of 2013-14 but that game is very similar to many others in each of the last few seasons.

If Masai Ujiri is serious about wins and losses not mattering but chemistry and development being what he is looking for, I give last night a giant fail.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Getting over-matched, out-coached, and out-played by supposed inferior talent are exactly the issues so many are frustrated with.

It was just the first regular season game of 2013-14 but that game is very similar to many others in each of the last few seasons.

If Masai Ujiri is serious about wins and losses not mattering but chemistry and development being what he is looking for, I give last night a giant fail.
    I don't believe all that lip service. 1 week from ppl are going to remember is that this was a "W" not more nothing less. They could like this the next 45 days but as long as they win everything else won't matter.
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe all that lip service. 1 week from ppl are going to remember is that this was a "W" not more nothing less. They could like this the next 45 days but as long as they win everything else won't matter.
    Time will tell.

Last night gave every reason why to blow up this team.

For the players who want to stay and the fans who believe there is more to the team, I hope they put in much better showing moving forward.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I didn't feel like that. I feel like he took a fair amount of bad shots, he just hit enough of them. He took many shots that I don't really want him to.

Nice to have some kind of shot chart while they've still only played one game (9/18 were longer 2s):
    http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...de=performance

DeMar actually took less bad shots (6/19 were longer 2s), he just couldn't sink anything:
    http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...layerID=201942
    Yes, definitely some bad contested shots, but for the most part he looked under control when taking those shots. I thought he did a pretty good job. Thanks for the chart though. I didn't realize that he took so many shots from the long 2 range. I stand corrected.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

One game, man. Opening night at home. I wonder if they're talking of blowing it up in Miami, LA (Clips), and Portland?

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah I think we're all guilty of blowing things out of proportion. It's one game against a team looking to tank. You can make an arguement for the Raptors playing down to their competition. Let's give it a few weeks and competition against better teams before we start calling for peoples heads.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

@WolstatSun: Lowry isn't worried about ball sticking. Said Boston defended aggressively, made it tough to move ball around. Were tipping/intercepting
    Lip service? pehaps not pre season the ball moved around a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    One game, man. Opening night at home. I wonder if they're talking of blowing it up in Miami, LA (Clips), and Portland?
    Exactly.... which I've said in a number of posts.

The concern for me is the same issues that have dogged the team for years reared their ugly heads.

I'm sure when they put it together there will the same extreme sentiments about how Leiweke should be planning the Raptors parade route.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

I think my thing is i just don't see a difference in this years team from last years. At all.

Same ol' taking a lot of long 2's and not working the ball inside out. There was some better ball movement on the perimeter and Demar AND Rudy hit a 3 but other than that...
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not enough to just win anymore, it has to be done in spectacular fashion.
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

14. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    imagine if they lost what this forum would look like lol.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup. And the people that were expecting them to beat the C's in spectacular fashion are the same people that thinks this team is not good enough and should blow the team up. Hilarious.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Well, whether the leak about 45 days is accurate or not, I think we can all agree that Ujiri would want to see something you would call a 'sustainable playoff team' level of play in order not to start changing pieces. Last night they did not look like that, regardless of the win.

Now, it was just the first game. And if it doesn't continue, we can all just say it meant nothing. But if it does continue then we can all point to it as the beginning of the trend.

*FWIW, I've been in the 'wait-and-see' camp since going into last season. That's a big reason I was so against the Gay trade Colangelo pulled. I'd be happy either way if they decide to shoot for the playoffs or the top of the draft, as long as it seems like the right decision at the time, which I didn't think was in the summer, and trust Ujiri to figure it out during the season. (My gut says if he starts making changes, he will start by early January at the latest.)
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Oct 31st, 2013 at 03:14 PM.

18. Like KazanTheMan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not spectacular... at least not for me.

But if we're looking for a team that can show sustainable success, last nights didn't show it.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Not spectacular... at least not for me.

But if we're looking for a team that can show sustainable success, last nights didn't show it.
    What do you think of the Heat losing to the Sixers last night?
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    I get your point that it's just 1 game. But the Heat have 2 championships to remind themselves how they're capable of playing. The Raptors on the other hand....

....have a new mascot :|
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

22. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    LOL

Really? Seriously?

The team who is two time defending champion and the night before convincingly beat one of the top teams in the East?

Every team can win on any given day.

I'm not saying that is all the Raptors are and can be. I'm saying last night showed absolutely zero growth when the games matter for our BIG 3 (Lowry, Gay, DD) and coaching.

But the comparison to Philly is interesting considering the relative value and expiring contracts they have in addition to starting a rebuild with a rookie PG, rookie C (albeit injured), and 2 likely lotto picks in a stacked draft.
    Bruno Caboclo

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread Information