Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Star: the deadline is 45 days

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Star: the deadline is 45 days

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ght_kelly.html

According to someone involved in the process, the current group has 45 days from the start of tomorrow’s NBA season to prove that they are not only a playoff team, but a sustainable one.

Even this season’s most optimistic performance target — squeaking into the top eight in the Eastern Conference — may not be enough.
    Discuss.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly the 22 games I spoke of recently in another thread. Plus it ties in with when free agents can be traded .

3. Like rocwell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is quite a specific claim, which fits what many around here have been hoping for and/or expecting. The roster gets "wait and see" time and the franchise legitimizes their claim of being opposed to tanking. However, if things don't go well from the start, it could become "riggin' for Wiggins" very quickly. The pro-tankers and pro-retoolers could be rejoicing by mid-December!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

45 days would also take the Raptors to December 13 if you could today as the official start. The raptors have a game on Dec 13 (Philadelphia) and Dec. 14 (Chicago) before a three day break. This break also coincides with the day in which summer signings are trade eligible (Dec. 15).

Seems like a very logical place to push the self-destruct button.

I would also anticipate that if something serious were to happen to Lowry before the 45 day window is closed, that they would jump forward quicker then normal. Without a PG, a "sustained" playoff team is not something you can see.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a sick feeling the team's going to overachieve now
    @jerboat

7. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i have a sick feeling the team's going to overachieve now
    I don't think MU and TL are buyers of fools gold

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you expect it to be blown up no matter what.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't think MU and TL are buyers of fools gold
    It could be a much harder sell to fans - especially casual / fair-weather fans - if the team is performing better than expected and staying competitive. It's likely going to be a tricky situation regardless, since everyone will have their own idea of what 'success' looks like over those first 45 days of the season. I don't envy the spot MU is in, with fans so adamant on both sides of the tank debate, since one group of fans will be all over him no matter what he winds up doing. Unless the team is a powerhouse near the top of the standings or gets off to a start as abysmal as last season, sharks will be circling.

Post Thanks / Like

“They better be 2-1 or 3-0 when Miami gets here (on Tuesday),” one veteran observer warned. That’s how micro it’s getting.
    Tense!

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't he casual fair weather fans the ones on tsn.ca saying who cares send them to Seattle????

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say this makes me ready for season. Such a tight front office now you have to think this is strategically placed released information

14. Like c_bcm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much. It's not like Gay and Derozan are turning into Lebron and Kobe overnight. Seems odd that the claim is so specific, too. Why not 21 games? 23 games? 19? Sounds like the die has been cast....

EDIT: Sorry, this was in response to Mess above.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

17. Like bounty, Nilanka, JimiCliff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Pretty much. It's not like Gay and Derozan are turning into Lebron and Kobe overnight. Seems odd that the claim is so specific, too. Why not 21 games? 23 games? 19? Sounds like the die has been cast....

EDIT: Sorry, this was in response to Mess above.
    Yeah. I mean, the one thing MU was clear about is that he can control his preparation. I can see that as meaning he has very specific deadlines and benchmarks he wants met, and that this could be a leak to provide some extra incentive to the players.

And I'm also pretty sure that he won't be setting any low standards.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

According to someone involved in the process, the current group has 45 days from the start of tomorrow’s NBA season to prove that they are not only a playoff team, but a sustainable one.

Even this season’s most optimistic performance target — squeaking into the top eight in the Eastern Conference — may not be enough.
    Proving themselves a "sustainable" playoff team? What does that even mean? Can you even prove that in 45 days?

20. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post

Proving themselves a "sustainable" playoff team? What does that even mean? Can you even prove that in 45 days?
    nope, and he doesnt need to. They have guys that say this, and say that about how the are team players, wanna improve, do what it takes to win, etc. MU has them on watch, if they do not fulfill what they have been asked to. ADIOS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Proving themselves a "sustainable" playoff team? What does that even mean?
    I suspect it means that the Raps squad has to show that they can get a reasonable number of wins against proper playoff contenders. To wit, in that first 45 days, the Raps play 22 games:

SHOULD BE RELATIVELY EASY WINS: Philly twice, Boston, Charlotte, Utah, Phoenix, the Lakers
    SHOULD BE EVEN MATCHUPS: Atlanta, Milwaukee, Portland, Washington, Denver
    SHOULD BE HARD: Miami twice, Chicago twice, Indiana, Houston, Memphis, Brooklyn, San Antonio, Golden State.

Now, after 45 days, the Raps could be 12 and 10 team by winning all of the "easy" and "even" games and losing all of the "hard" games, but who gives a shit about beating Milwaukee and Portland, really? I think a "sustainable" playoff team is one that can compete with teams who are actually contending for the title this year - pull a win or two out of the likes of Chicago, Houston, Memphis, Brooklyn and Golden State and you've got something worth keeping together.

It's the difference between an 11-11 team after 45 days with no wins against contenders and an 11-11 team after 45 days with 2-3 wins against contenders (and maybe 1-2 more squeaker losses against contenders). That second team is inconsistent but maybe has the talent to progress to the next level. That first team doesn't and is telling you what its ceiling is.

Post Thanks / Like

Its about the same amount of time that raptors have gone through their first-half season-skid in past seasons. If the raptors can turn it around and finish at or near .500 for that time period, it would definitely be a record performance in recent history.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

“7-Eleven,” one source said. “That’s where you get diabetes.”
    Bahahahaha!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This will put enormous pressure on Casey to shorten his bench from the get-go
    Thanks god!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

26. Like Jkwasia liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information